Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at lowering my 10. Not for drag racing but because of my stubby legs. I was going to go with a 1" lowering link in the back but my question is how much do I need to lower the fork tubes in the front? Is it excatly the same as the back, 1"? :dontknow:

·
Registered
4,049 Posts

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
speedfreak said:
I am looking at lowering my 10. Not for drag racing but because of my stubby legs. I was going to go with a 1" lowering link in the back but my question is how much do I need to lower the fork tubes in the front? Is it excatly the same as the back, 1"? :dontknow:
Here is an some information from SportRider magazine,so after reading this I would suggest the 1" lowering link back and 1" front:

DON'T JUST LOWER ONE END-Maintain The Correct Chassis Attitude

Any time you lower either end of a motorcycle, you must lower the opposite end an identical amount. Unless you want to change the bike's steering characteristics (which should only be done if you have a comprehensive grasp of motorcycle steering geometry), you must maintain the bike's chassis attitude to avoid handling problems. Changing the front or rear ride heights by as little as 5mm can have a dramatic effect on how a bike handles in the corners.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know I have to lower both. I just want to know by how much. Will 1" in the clamps equal a 1" link in the back? I assume lower the bike at all (by equal amounts front and rear) will keep the same rake but decrease trail. Will this make for quicker steering or will I notice any difference? Lots of questions, i know, but I want to get it right.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
speedfreak said:
I know I have to lower both. I just want to know by how much. Will 1" in the clamps equal a 1" link in the back? I assume lower the bike at all (by equal amounts front and rear) will keep the same rake but decrease trail. Will this make for quicker steering or will I notice any difference? Lots of questions, i know, but I want to get it right.
speedfreak, I think your questions have been answered already from the article:

I just want to know by how much.
sportrider-"must lower the opposite end an identical amount"

I assume lower the bike at all (by equal amounts front and rear) will keep the same rake but decrease trail.
sportrider-"Unless you want to change the bike's steering characteristics"

it's this statement above from sportrider that suggests rake the trail stays the same when lowered equal amounts, to maintain the same handling characterists where rake and trail play apart of handling. So, if you trully want stock charateristis but a lower bike I wouldn't deviate from equal amounts.

PS. the article did recommend not going over 1.5 inches because of clearance problems that can occur in thurns.

·
Registered
15 Posts
As I understand it, lowering the bike equally front and rear will be ok for most riding BUT it will effect the rear shock linkage system. On most superbikes today, the rear link causes the rear shock to act as a progressive shock/spring. When a bike is lowered, the "progressivness" in the rear shock is lessend and the rear shock will behave as a linear shock. Also, the bike's wheel base will be a little longer when lowered hence slightly more stable. If you are not worried about track handling, you may be ok, but for track or spirited riding, it is prefered to stay close to stock height.... my 0.0002 cents

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts