Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone hav pics of there bike lowerd and how does it handle on the streets i think the front of my gen1 is kinda high or is it just me

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,562 Posts
does anyone hav pics of there bike lowerd and how does it handle on the streets i think the front of my gen1 is kinda high or is it just me
It handles like shit, don't do it.

·
Registered
588 Posts
There's a little lag in the lean but I still ride on the streets fine. Feels like it comes down a little harder from wheelies though, back is slammed like 3" and forks are raised through the triple tree about 1.5".

In the pic, the front is dropped something like 3" though, just to see what it would look like, not too different but not as drastic.

Attachments

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
^^^Kiss corners good bye and it will handle like shit....^^^we know why you dropped yours from the picture...But thats what we call being height challenged :wink:

·
Registered
588 Posts
^^^Kiss corners good bye and it will handle like shit....^^^we know why you dropped yours from the picture...But thats what we call being height challenged :wink:
Too bad that's not me in the picture. I'm 6', 195 lbs, and I dropped it because I wanted to drop it. And if you are worried about cornering that much then dropping isn't even a question. I still roll down the highway at 100+ when I want to get on it and the highways around me don't have enough hardcore twists to screw with me. I'm not one of those guys that goes 140+ non-stop through twists and turns, I'm 20 years old and almost out of college. What a waste of tuition money that would be if I went down being dumb...

·
Registered
19 Posts
POOR NINJA.......... why would anybody do this to his bike ? except for 1/4 race, this is proven nonsense... you can't corner shit with this . yes straight ahead you can do 100 + but i am doing corners at 120 + ....... nah thanks.
if you re a smaller person and your front end feels loose, what you do is simple, you put a 1 or a 2 mm shim under your rear shock (yes lift the rear, never lower the front) i tell you it's a different bike, we had to do this for my buddy same bike than me but he is 165 and i am 185 cms......... i had a perfect feeling for the front end he was grey and white after each corner as the front end didn't feel right we modified it with a 2 mm shim and he was fine...

further if your front end is feeling high or loose before you do the shim, GET YOUR DAMN PRELOAD right....... most people have no idea what this does to a bike, there are plenty of sites which explain you how to correctly adjust this, (and no you can't look it up in the kawa users manual...), it needs 1 hour of work and a buddy to get it right for your weight etc. but it changes the feeling for the front end completely, and in general if you think it's too high, loose open the preload make it softer not harder........ most bikes out there are too hard anyway.... and if you are at it, get your rear preload also right.........

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
I agree with you man, most dont know how to adjust/sag at all...I see it all the time

You don't need to go 140mph+ to hit a corner...I like 2nd gear 25-50mph corners with long sweepers coming out where you can flick into 3rd and maybe 4th...Of course being respectable of the law LOL....

hs1113
I'm 20 years old and almost out of college. What a waste of tuition money that would be if I went down being dumb...

^^^What does being 20 years old have to do with anything. I mean hats off to you for saying you don't ride like a asshole. But I'm in the same ball park as you and I lay my bitch down where the pucks are on the ground...If anything you need to get out there and ride, seat time my friend will make you bring that bike back up from being dropped....I say in less your at the strip every weekend with your 10 then its pointless and your afraid of the power on top of the wheel coming up....Not trying to preach just get some more seat time and you will bring her back up:eek:ccasion1

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
ya i never really understood the whole lowering thing with sportbikes other than drag. But then again aren't you just suppose to use straps?

·
Registered
19 Posts
yes just a bit south of nigeria, and yes its great, big open country 2 lane roads, no radars, and plenty of corners up and down........ it's a great country for speed bikes,
i run a full race exhaust and most of my parts on the bike are not street legal anywhere else but here, the police, if they stop you just want to admire your bike and hear the noise..........lol we got about 20 or 30 bikers in douala (where i live) and it's great. good corners, nice grippy asphalt and 12 months a year we got 25 + degrees celsius.........
if you want check out the pics on hi5
http://hi5.com/friend/profile/displaySameProfile.do?userid=235345399

thats me and my buddy on our old bikes gsxr1000, just got the ninja 2 months ago.....

·
Registered
969 Posts
I am only 5'5" and i lowered my bike. I have no problems with the twisties..... The trick is to keep the front to rear geometry the same. meaning that as you lower the rear you want to lower the front to keep the same angle.. the only difference I found was that you wind up in a greater lean angle then the stock height bikes, which will slow you down a hair. But it is not noticable unless you are racing, which you really shouldn't be doing on the street anyway... I ride with some pretty fast guys and i am right there with them... Just my 0.02

·
^^No Bike Bum^^
2,138 Posts
mine was lowered 1" in the front and back and it still handled fine for me... but i dont do track days or twistys at very high speeds.... i lowered mine for comfort mainly... now mine is lowered 1" in the front and 2"(i think) in the back.... i cant beat anyone in curves, but i can make one heck of a straight line run... lol

·
^^No Bike Bum^^
2,138 Posts
ya i never really understood the whole lowering thing with sportbikes other than drag. But then again aren't you just suppose to use straps?
you can use straps, but i wouldnt ride on the street that way... they work great for someone wanting to play on the dragstrip... when you bind the forks way down it makes it very difficult to handle, not to mention it beats you to death at every bump....

·
Registered
19 Posts
look if you mean with comfort that you can get your feet onto the ground ?
o.k. fair enough, but believe me you rather would have bought another bike, there are bikes which fit you . i tell you the main reason for me to not buy the new gsx r 1000 but to get the ninja was that i just couldn't find a comfortable position on the 09 gsxr, whilst in 03 the gsxr was the only bike which fit my height......... 1 inch is about 3,5 cms..... that's a lot, i would drag my feet and pads on the ground in every 2nd corner.... , try special boots, special thick soles should get you about 1,5 cms up the bike you ll feel much better. believe me. that's what i did with my ex gf for getting her onto her rr 1000 ..... we only lowered it by 1cm and got her special boots, but again why she bought the rr and not the gsxr ....... she couldn't get up on the gixxer......

·
^^No Bike Bum^^
2,138 Posts
no i just like to stand up and have a few inched between me and the bike... yeah you dont want to get very low in turns on my bike.... luck for me there are not many turns on the dragstrip

·
Registered
588 Posts
no i just like to stand up and have a few inched between me and the bike... yeah you dont want to get very low in turns on my bike.... luck for me there are not many turns on the dragstrip
Agreed. I don't really get to do a whole lot of spare time riding but when I do it's at the dragstrip and not a local track day. I don't even know if we have a local track around me and if so it's way too much to ride it.

It's like all I did was give my opinion and immediately get shunned for it. Everyone has their own choice so I don't see why anyone is saying "you're wrong, I'm right." Just appreciate the bikes for what they are, way too much muscle behind one wrist for anybody anyways lol.

Why can't we all be friends?! :lol:

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Agreed. I don't really get to do a whole lot of spare time riding but when I do it's at the dragstrip and not a local track day. I don't even know if we have a local track around me and if so it's way too much to ride it.

It's like all I did was give my opinion and immediately get shunned for it. Everyone has their own choice so I don't see why anyone is saying "you're wrong, I'm right." Just appreciate the bikes for what they are, way too much muscle behind one wrist for anybody anyways lol.

Why can't we all be friends?! :lol:
well said ^

·
Registered
19 Posts
hey nobody said we canè't be friends.......lol i just have pblms to understand how somebody could lower a zx10r for doing 1/4 races...... look if you wanna drive your kids to school or your dog to the park you wouldn't use a porsche, wouldn't you ? i think we all agree on this, now for me a drag bike is a busa, or a zzr14 etc. a ninja or a gsxr1000 r1 etc. are made for one purpose only, cornering........ not wheelies, not dragracing etc....... but a s i said everybody the way he wants to.....lol

·
Registered
588 Posts
hey nobody said we canè't be friends.......lol i just have pblms to understand how somebody could lower a zx10r for doing 1/4 races...... look if you wanna drive your kids to school or your dog to the park you wouldn't use a porsche, wouldn't you ? i think we all agree on this, now for me a drag bike is a busa, or a zzr14 etc. a ninja or a gsxr1000 r1 etc. are made for one purpose only, cornering........ not wheelies, not dragracing etc....... but a s i said everybody the way he wants to.....lol
If I had a Porsche I would!!! lol And who is happy with just doing "what they were meant to do?" You know what this world would be like if people only foloowed the directions on their stuff?! LAME!

·
^^No Bike Bum^^
2,138 Posts
ill be happy to return my bike back to completely stock and play with the kneedraggers all day long if you want to buy be a Busa or a ZX14 to drag race....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts