Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do a lot of people who ride hate loud exhaust? For me the louder and deeper the better. This morning driving in to work this guy was riding next to me with stock exhaust, I could not hear him at all, then the stupid ass is riding on my blind spot, now I cant see him or hear him, I knew he was there because I always look out for bikes on the road, but a lot of people out there do not. My whole point is I rather people get annoyed by my loud pipe than not hear me and run me over, not riding right next to vehicles helps also. I love the sound of a deep and loud exhaust but I think it is also safer to ride with a loud exhaust. What do you think?

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
FWIW, I've seen drivers get pissed at bikers for the loud exhaust and move over on them. As for the guy riding in your blind spot, he's stupid or a new rider. Never, never, never ride in a vehicles blind spot, you WILL get run over!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, my rule is never stay next to any vehicle, always pass em quick and stay ahead or behind, this way they cant run in to you or try?

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
j1000 said:
well, my rule is never stay next to any vehicle, always pass em quick and stay ahead or behind, this way they cant run in to you or try?

Smart man. Usually better to stay behind if they are at all eratic. Some get ticked if you go past at any rate of speed other that slightly above their velocity. I guess they take it as a race invite or you're dissin them. Don't know, I've seen people get passed and then speed up and tailgate the bike. Crazy. One trick a good friend taught me was, when you go to pass someone, look at the front wheel, you'll see it turn slightly before the car moves. Gives you a split second more time to react.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
gpz1100 said:
Smart man. Usually better to stay behind if they are at all eratic. Some get ticked if you go past at any rate of speed other that slightly above their velocity. I guess they take it as a race invite or you're dissin them. Don't know, I've seen people get passed and then speed up and tailgate the bike. Crazy. One trick a good friend taught me was, when you go to pass someone, look at the front wheel, you'll see it turn slightly before the car moves. Gives you a split second more time to react.

I know one person that put an airhorn on the bike so people would hear that, since the stock horns usually wont get attention unless the windows are open. It was a definite attention getter then. Also had a loud pipe.

I took a 3600 mile trip with a friend on my old bike, one time he got cut off by a car that didnt see him, he pulled up beside the car (the window was open) and gave a nice pull on the trottle. Luckily the lady wasnt older she would have had a heart attack. I guess she got the message then, but thank god they didnt turn into him. I am not recommending this to anyone.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Loud pipe get old after a few miles. If you ride your bike a few thousand miles a year, mostly down to bike night to drink and chat with friends, loud pipes are fine. They don't save live or Harley riders would live forever. Try listening to them for sixteen hours straight.

But I like loud pipes. When you are misbehavin' it draws the poo poo's attention. It is amazing what you can get by with when you are stealthy and if you are riding in a pack, poo poo will go for the one with the loud pipes every time.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
swjohnsey said:
Loud pipe get old after a few miles. If you ride your bike a few thousand miles a year, mostly down to bike night to drink and chat with friends, loud pipes are fine. They don't save live or Harley riders would live forever. Try listening to them for sixteen hours straight.

But I like loud pipes. When you are misbehavin' it draws the poo poo's attention. It is amazing what you can get by with when you are stealthy and if you are riding in a pack, poo poo will go for the one with the loud pipes every time.

all kinds of truths in this statement.
I have a slip-on but still have the exhaust valve so it rips pretty good when I'm on it but is fairly quiet shooting through town.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
swjohnsey said:

yes it does draw attention to cops, i try to do hard riding where there are no cops- i live close to country roads which are deserted so is cool, i disagree that they dont save lives, a few years ago a guy i know got ran into as he was passing a car, the lady didnt see him or heard him, if they hear your bike, even if they dont see you, the drivers will look for you. it could have saved my friend from an accident if he had a louder pipe.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
kahoo5 said:
Well Byebyebusa got the EVO 2 so he could be louder than me with the EVO 1
I didn't get the Evo 2 to be louder.. I got it to be heard.. and yes the Evo 2 rocks!!!! After hearing the system on Kelly's bike I knew that I needed something a little more audible. Not that her's is quiet, but the stock pipe was almost as loud IMHO..
Offically Akra states that at 5500 rpms the numbers are Stock 87db, racing line 100db, Evo1 103 and evo2 107db.. but where the truth is told is above 7k.. that's where the Evo 2 really starts to sing

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
As if the fastest color, orange, isn't loud enough, I have a muzzy f/s and I rode past a lifted truck in the left lane, they were in the right lane. They drove just past me, my front tire behind the window and started moving over! I laid on the horn until they saw me. I wonder what people are thinking? Or maybe I should say aren't thinking.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
If you want loud, stay away from TiForce, hell I can fart louder !

I put 900ish miles on that pipe, 900+ miles later, it sounded the same as the day I
put it on. Quiet! Awesome welds & super light, just to damn quiet.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
gpz1100 said:
i feel WAY more comfortable in front of an erratic driver, car or bike...i've been behind wrecks on several occasions and don't like the feeling of doom as the crash happens in my path...
yeah, peolpe can get pissed when passed(sounds funny) but unless i blow by in a fury of throttle, most people let me go...
in an effort to be seen in cager traffic on a multi lane freeway, i'll drive a bit erratic myself... throttle on, throttle off, maybe a bit of weaving...nothing too radical, just a reminder...
the tip of looking to the front tire is great for lane splitting , for those who do it...but i try to glance and keep moving my vision around( i'm sure thats what gpz meant)...
this by no means is to say that i recommend my riding tactics, just sharing my thoughts...

BTW this reminds me of a request i would make that we have a section on street riding, survival tactics etc...

NOW, i gotta say that i hear loud pipes on bikes when i'm caging around...
sooo, loud pipes grab my attention...but i got sick of my bikes that were loud and not too powerful, kinda have to have the bite to go with the bark in my book...makes the 10 a perfect platform for a ripsnortin' exhuast...

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Loud...as in D&D suck. Loud as in finely tuned high horsepower motors releasing the beast is something else. Hate that loud tin can, raspy azz sound squids think is cool. Could fart in a trash can and it would sound better!

·
Supercharged Mod
4,391 Posts
Loud pipes draw the ire of non-motorcyclist residents along your favorite backroads, eventually leading to increased police presence. It is happening around here on practically ALL the decent roads.

Loud pipes draw the attention of the local constabulary and give them an excuse to pull you over.

My bike has stock exhaust, stock lighting, stock license plate mounting. I rarely get pulled over, and if I do get pulled over by a cop with an attitude, I'll still be riding the bike home rather than following a tow truck, because it's all legal.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
NATOR said:
Loud...as in D&D suck. Loud as in finely tuned high horsepower motors releasing the beast is something else. Hate that loud tin can, raspy azz sound squids think is cool. Could fart in a trash can and it would sound better!
I agree.. seeing kids driving around 2800lb honda's with 6" fart pipes making all of 92 hp is comical. Now hearing a sweetly tuned ZX engine come on the pipe around 8k, feeling the rush of power shaving your rear tire off on the pavement is something else. Ahh I might have to take 1/2 day off just to go riding.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
byebyebusa said:
I agree.. seeing kids driving around 2800lb honda's with 6" fart pipes making all of 92 hp is comical. Now hearing a sweetly tuned ZX engine come on the pipe around 8k, feeling the rush of power shaving your rear tire off on the pavement is something else. Ahh I might have to take 1/2 day off just to go riding.

Better do it on my day off too. Would hate to miss out on a ride.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Oh how I wish I could.. one of our team took off. .using that "I have a sick kid" routine to go fishing.. If the weather holds out maybe tonight.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
byebyebusa said:
Oh how I wish I could.. one of our team took off. .using that "I have a sick kid" routine to go fishing.. If the weather holds out maybe tonight.

Yep another trip to Daytona. May have to take 415 over and I-4 back.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts