Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched and didnt find to much info. PLEASE help.
I only had one key when i bought the bike. I let my friend borrow the bike and he lost the key. I do own the bike and have the title. There is no silver tag with the key code. Bike is a 2006 ZX6.

PLEASE HELP
It is 1 am right now, so i will call the dealer tomorow but from what I read people say that the dealer will ask you to change all the parts and that they dont have record of the key code.

· Gen 5 Now!!
1,135 Posts
yes that is true. im a parts manager for a kawasaki dealership in ny and you will either have to replace all the locks or take out the ignition or fuel cap lock and bring it to a locksmith to see if he can cut you a key with either of them. better to use ignition lock though. if not the part # for a new lock set including ignition, gas lock and seat lock is 27045-5304 which supercedes to part # 27045-5336. the part is available through kawasaki and retails for $248.60 :sad: . DEALER COST is $149.16. or go on ebay and see if you can get a whole set. anything from
2005-2009 will work. its the same part # for those years. hope this helps a little. :cool:

· Registered
171 Posts
i lost my key during mardi gras this year. I loaded my bike up with paperwork in hand & a locksmith had my bike started with a key made from scratch in about 20-30 mins. the fee was $50 for 2 keys.

· Registered
322 Posts
I have a similar question. I just bought an 04 zx-10 from a friend. he gave me two keys but told me one of them wouldnt go in. it was bent just a little and i straightened it with pliers but still no go......I read on here somewhere something about a red master key that has the master code in it. my friend said he didnt get a red key. only the two grey ones that he gave me. I'd like to get another key since my second one wont go in the hole. any way i can do that easily since i have one good key? I didn't know they had the computer chip in them. I was about to buy a spare off of ebay but don't know the procedure to make it work and get it cut and all that....

· Registered
171 Posts
Yes buy the blank off of fleabay, and take it to be cut at locksmith or stealership to match your good key

· Gen 5 Now!!
1,135 Posts
I have a similar question. I just bought an 04 zx-10 from a friend. he gave me two keys but told me one of them wouldnt go in. it was bent just a little and i straightened it with pliers but still no go......I read on here somewhere something about a red master key that has the master code in it. my friend said he didnt get a red key. only the two grey ones that he gave me. I'd like to get another key since my second one wont go in the hole. any way i can do that easily since i have one good key? I didn't know they had the computer chip in them. I was about to buy a spare off of ebay but don't know the procedure to make it work and get it cut and all that....
definitely not on the U.S. version. if im not mistaken the keys for 04-09 i think are all the same. have to check it out but definitely no chip.

· Registered
322 Posts
Are you guys sure that its only the euro version? The owners manual is where i read it. It doesn't specify any certain model(us, european, etc). it shows the diagram for the parts and it shows the upper part of the switch as being the immobilizer antenna. looks identical to the switch on my bike. I think its on all of them....the chip is shown to be inside the plastic on the key, so the chip is not visible. This is the manual for the 04-05 zx-10 that i downloaded from this forum.

· Registered
322 Posts
ok later on in the manual it does have in ( ) equipped models. So I guess you were correct........ I need to get one of the keys from ebay I guess. I could get one at wal mart but i guess i want a kawi key, it'll look better lol. its like $15 or so though.....oh well

· Registered
2,336 Posts
ok later on in the manual it does have in ( ) equipped models. So I guess you were correct........ I need to get one of the keys from ebay I guess. I could get one at wal mart but i guess i want a kawi key, it'll look better lol. its like $15 or so though.....oh well
I've tried Walmart but the key they have there is slightly thicker than the Kaw key so it WILL NOT fit in the keyhole once you get it cut. I don't know who's charging you 15 dollars but I found this on Ebay for 6 dollars shipped.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200309511001&_trksid=p2759.l1259

But after you get the key you can have Walmart cut you the key which will cost you nothing. That's what I did with my R1 key, bought the blanks and had Walmart cut the key, works fine.

· Registered
9 Posts
ok so from viewing this discussion you dont not have to swap out the ecu in order to get a new key... and my key did have a chip??? i can just call the locksmith and he can get me up and running with no problems???.... cause i lost my key last week and i am sick cause i cant ride it then i looked on ebay for a key with the chip and it was like $294 for a damn key!!!!

· Still here
9,051 Posts
ok so from viewing this discussion you dont not have to swap out the ecu in order to get a new key... and my key did have a chip??? i can just call the locksmith and he can get me up and running with no problems???.... cause i lost my key last week and i am sick cause i cant ride it then i looked on ebay for a key with the chip and it was like $294 for a damn key!!!!
NONE of the U.S. 10Rs had an Imobilizer or a chip in the key.

· Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys.
I have a 04/05 ZX10R and had to replace the immobilizer box. Have the original keys but need the box to be programmed to the keys. Is there a manual way to do it without having to take it to a dealership as our dealership does not have the cables and software to do the programming?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts