Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I ended up getting a new left over 17 ZX10R for a great deal $11500 I got a 09 R1 last year and was gonna start dumping some real money into it but decided to get a newer bike. I was gonna leave the ZX10R for street swell but I picked up a 17 Z900 also last year and did a full ohlins suspension on her and she is a canyon carver this thing rips so I am like you know what time for a full out track build...

So here she is
/private/var/folders/zb/0yz1wvln3sx4rl3qmvhbrkv80000gn/T/IMG_1570.jpg

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So here is a few things I ordered for the bike

Full Akrapovic Race Exhaust with Carbon Race Exhaust Hanger , MWR Race Filter gonna be tuned by Bouce Racing here in NJ Anthony is the man. ECU reflash with auto blip etc

- Driven TT Rearsets
- Driven Race Gas Cap
- GB Racing Engine Covers
- Driven Clip ons
- Driven Trottle Tube
- Driven Captive Wheel Spacers
- Brembo RCS19 Corsa Corta
- Race Pads
- Woodcraft Igniton delete not sure if I am just gonna machine the stock triple tree or get the ZETA unit.
- Woodcraft Superbike Lifters
- Dunlop Q4 190/55
- Samco Race Hoses - Green

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was thinking about doing the MWR XXL Intake but from a few guys that its not worth the money to upgrade this so probably not gonna do it and put the money into a data logger or maybe eve Dash .

·
Registered
2016 Kawasaki ZX-10R KRT ABS Edition
682 Posts
How did you like the Ohlins upgrade for the streets? Was looking to upgrade my suspension for the same application.

Also if you decide to go with track fairings I recommend these guys:
https://www.pascalplast.com/pascalplast-kawasaki-race-bodywork
They're pricing is extremely reasonable and although they're based out of Slovakia, the ship time is surprisingly quick (everything's mostly pre-made I think ready to ship) and it's free!

·
Registered
865 Posts
So here is a few things I ordered for the bike

Full Akrapovic Race Exhaust with Carbon Race Exhaust Hanger , MWR Race Filter gonna be tuned by Bouce Racing here in NJ Anthony is the man. ECU reflash with auto blip etc

- Driven TT Rearsets
- Driven Race Gas Cap
- GB Racing Engine Covers
- Driven Clip ons
- Driven Trottle Tube
- Driven Captive Wheel Spacers
- Brembo RCS19 Corsa Corta
- Race Pads
- Woodcraft Igniton delete not sure if I am just gonna machine the stock triple tree or get the ZETA unit.
- Woodcraft Superbike Lifters
- Dunlop Q4 190/55
- Samco Race Hoses - Green

RCS19 is not the right master for these calipers. It's too powerful. RCS17 was designed specifically for these, M50 calipers.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How did you like the Ohlins upgrade for the streets? Was looking to upgrade my suspension for the same application.

Also if you decide to go with track fairings I recommend these guys:
https://www.pascalplast.com/pascalplast-kawasaki-race-bodywork
They're pricing is extremely reasonable and although they're based out of Slovakia, the ship time is surprisingly quick (everything's mostly pre-made I think ready to ship) and it's free!
Dude best upgrade I have ever done but its a little different setup for the Z900 which runs the Nix 30 kit not a pressurized kit like our ZX10 runs also a lot more expensive lol but well well worth it one the Z900 was setup for a 150-170LB rider I am 205lb and the bike handles so much better even threw bumps etc if you have the money I think its a great upgrade you will never go back

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
RCS19 is not the right master for these calipers. It's too powerful. RCS17 was designed specifically for these, M50 calipers.
But I hear yeah I know they are for 30mm but I am looking to upgrade calipers in the future anyways to a M4 or GP4 which are 34mm. But there is no issues using a RCS 19 with the current setup that I know of right ?

·
Formerly CLCRACINGAaron
464 Posts
It’ll be powerful but lack feel.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It’ll be powerful but lack feel.
I had one on my R1 had some brake fade after a few laps either way I figured buy once I am most likely gonna get some Brembo GP4 or HP the M4 or a good price but not sure how much more of a upgrade they will be over the stock M50.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Next upgrade parts ordered Ohlins TTX 25 Cartdrige kit and TTXGP rear shock...... Talked to Brandon at Hustlehardracing.com too Neonmarine and got one of the SE composite Tank shrouds coming swell... Cant wait to get her on the track won't make the june 30th ride but I will run the Z900 for that day..

Attachments

·
Registered
865 Posts
But I hear yeah I know they are for 30mm but I am looking to upgrade calipers in the future anyways to a M4 or GP4 which are 34mm. But there is no issues using a RCS 19 with the current setup that I know of right ?
The M50 calipers are excellent and they don't need upgrading. If you look in Moto America, all zx10r Superbikes are running them while they could upgrade. They are monoblock and perform on par with GP4-RX calipers, which I have used for a couple of seasons. So my suggestion is to not waste money on new calipers and just get a matching RCS17 master, which is also cheaper than the new RCS Corsa. I am currently racing using M50 calipers and I have zero complaints.

And yea, with RCS19 you'll have a lot of power but almost no feel/modulation. It's usable but not preferable.

The rotors on these bikes are nice but thin, so they warp prematurely from heavy race use. Street/occasional track use is fine. So I'd suggest upgrading to Braketech Cobra SS rotors.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Dude best upgrade I have ever done but its a little different setup for the Z900 which runs the Nix 30 kit not a pressurized kit like our ZX10 runs also a lot more expensive lol but well well worth it one the Z900 was setup for a 150-170LB rider I am 205lb and the bike handles so much better even threw bumps etc if you have the money I think its a great upgrade you will never go back
Yeah my FZ would be a night and day difference with a suspension upgrade :lol: She'll never see a track though so she isn't worth the investment. But I'm also around 200lbs (w/ gear). So I think I'm going to play around with the stock settings a little bit on the ZX though and if I'm still not satisfied I'll consider upgrading. What would you say is a telltale sign that an upgrade is necessary?

Some more goodies showed up today....
You're going to LOVE the look of the Samco hoses. They look sexy & they're super easy to install. They work great too; my radiator fan is going to collect dust because my bike is always running so cool.

·
Registered
682 Posts
The M50 calipers are excellent and they don't need upgrading. If you look in Moto America, all zx10r Superbikes are running them while they could upgrade. They are monoblock and perform on par with GP4-RX calipers, which I have used for a couple of seasons. So my suggestion is to not waste money on new calipers and just get a matching RCS17 master...
There's decent feel to the OEM 16mm's. What's your initial impressions after making the switch to 1mm larger?

·
Formerly CLCRACINGAaron
464 Posts
There's decent feel to the OEM 16mm's. What's your initial impressions after making the switch to 1mm larger?
The stock MC 16x21 isn't very well known for feel and to me it's garbage, but there's plenty of power. So I don't worry about trail braking much and just make it up on the exit.

·
Registered
682 Posts
The stock MC 16x21 isn't very well known for feel and to me it's garbage, but there's plenty of power. So I don't worry about trail braking much and just make it up on the exit.
I'll have to get out and do some entry braking & low-speed trail braking and see how she responds with the new suspension once that's done.
My experience is just the opposite though :confused: too much squish, no stopping power when heavy braking or coming to a stop, but a decent feel I guess when 2-fingering it elsewhere. It's not like my FZ where you breath on the lever and stoppie :lol: I just feel like I shouldn't have to use the rear brake as much as I do for slowing down. (Referring to street application mind you)

·
Registered
865 Posts
I'll have to get out and do some entry braking & low-speed trail braking and see how she responds with the new suspension once that's done.
My experience is just the opposite though :confused: too much squish, no stopping power when heavy braking or coming to a stop, but a decent feel I guess when 2-fingering it elsewhere. It's not like my FZ where you breath on the lever and stoppie :lol: I just feel like I shouldn't have to use the rear brake as much as I do for slowing down. ([email protected];ferring to street application mind you)
The stock gen5 zx10r master (16) is outstanding. This is actually my preferred master to use. I tried the stock and rcs17 back to back and chose to go back to stock. Last year, Bobby Fong competed in Moto America superstock class and, having tried all available upgrade options, he also chose the stock master. And he was known for being a beast on the brakes, as his bike was a ston-n-go style rocket. So I've upgraded my brake lever and haven't looked back.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts