Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed that the left disc was loose at the rivets where it floats. The bike makes a clicky sound every time I apply the front brakes.

It's on my Gen 4 track bike. Video below.

http://youtu.be/I-ZFtlfsR44

Is this normal?

·
Registered
685 Posts
Its not "normal" but a few other people (including me) have done the same thing on purpose by crushing the wave washer that keeps them from clicking like that.

Just keep an eye on it and you should be fine. Its similar to full floating rotors. Do a search and you will find the thread I am talking about from a few years back.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,545 Posts
As Crazi already mentioned, it's somewhat normal. The calipers are rigidly mounted to the forks and the brake disks are semi-floating design to help with the self centering aspect of them. They are considered semi-floating due to the retaining spring washers on the backside. In the olden days, guys would convert the semi-floating stock disks to full-floating by removing or over-springing the springs on the backside. The rotors rattle and make some noise because they are free to float in this condition. The positive to it is the faster centering of the disks since the pads don't have to overcome the springs first.

So, it's not actually normal for the stockers to do that. But it's not a serious condition at this point either. That is, IF the disks are freely moving inside and outside towards/away from each other. If the buttons are worn and allowing the disks to move radially around with some excess free play, that could be a serious issue.

·
The Pace
6,902 Posts
I would take it to tech and upgrade rotors and brakes. I don't like that wiggle as it kinda makes me sweat. As I ride a lot.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I purposely cut the retaining washers out of mine a couple years back to essentially create a cheap version of a floating rotor. They worked great and improved my braking somewhat but because they are not designed for that they will wear the center carrier. I eventually had to replace my rotors before they failed. Also the jingling sound of the rotors moving around could be heard up until about 40 miles an hour, that gets old. You still have some time before you have to replace them but like everyone else said, keep an eye on them. From your video i can already see some wear starting on the aluminum carrier.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts