Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking to get a new Penske shock for the rear but I don't know what one I should get!

This is going to be for my track only 10r, which I’m planning on hitting a few different tracks with.

I guess I'm realizing that this is just a Track day bike not a race bike, so I’m torn on what shock to get. I keep thinking about the 8981. With its ease and mindlessness of “set it and forget it” it’d, BUT in the back of my head I would wonder if the 8987 would be better in every way. (You know you get what you pay for kind of thoughts). I’m just not sure if I need all the adjustments!

Anyone running a Penske have any suggestions for me?

Kyle

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've been using a Penske 8987 on my R6 race bike for 5 years (had it rebuilt last year) and it has been OUTSTANDING. I only wish that my ZX10r handled like my R6 does. Since I've not used the 8981 I can not really give testimony to how different they would be, but my instinct tells me that the low speed compression adjustment is helping to prevent rear end 'squat' without making bump absorption too harsh.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
zrxhooligan

I purchased the 2-way 8981 about a month ago and enjoy the simplier approach to it VS the 8987. For my suited up weight of 195lbs i had a 500lb spring installed and its near perfect. I had the opportunity to test it a week or so ago @ Infineon while attending a CLASS school with Reg and his many helpful assistants.

BD

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
get the 8981 and get the forks done too. That would be about equal. $1100 for 8987 vs. $770 8981 $360 forks.
I've never riden on an 8987, but I have to say I'm oh too curious. Why haven't looked at the Ohlins? Dan Kyle offers up a nice deal for a nice price and its 3 way adjustable and has the remote preload to take away that PITA.

L8-Apex- have you raised the rear at all? I raised mine 3mm and it feels like a new bike now. Nothing compared to an R6, but closer to my old 636.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
BNninja said:
get the 8981 and get the forks done too. That would be about equal. $1100 for 8987 vs. $770 8981 $360 forks.
I've never riden on an 8987, but I have to say I'm oh too curious. Why haven't looked at the Ohlins? Dan Kyle offers up a nice deal for a nice price and its 3 way adjustable and has the remote preload to take away that PITA.

L8-Apex- have you raised the rear at all? I raised mine 3mm and it feels like a new bike now. Nothing compared to an R6, but closer to my old 636.

I’ve already got the forks in the works. The only thing I'm trying to figure out is which one I get the 8987 or the 8981. Once I figure that out I'll be sending out my forks and ordering the rear at the same time.

Why not Ohlins? Well Ohlins is owned by Yamaha, so why would I want to do that to myself or my bike :eek:P Ok just kidding, I don't really know why I'm not looking into Ohlins shocks. I guess they seems a little to main stream for me........ (I haven't seen Penske come stock on any bike)

Thanks for the input guys. Please keep it coming!

Kyle

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
I used a Penske double on my yzf600r and liked it, but stock the bike was too soft anyways.
The guys on the 636 forum said the 636 responded better to the Ohlins; however, the record at some track was broken by a guy on a 636 using an Elka...so now you have 3 choices.
My input is Max from Traxxion guided the development of Penske, who now sold the distribution rights to PArts Unliminted or one of them...this screwed Max and traxxion, so he brought Elka into sport bikes. Theoreticly, Elka should be on par if not superior to Penske. Elka knows dirt bikes, Penske only did F1 and Nascar, no bikes prior.

ADV: Penske and Elka are built when ordered to customers use and weight. Elkas cost. Ohlins remote ride height.
DIS: Penske cost. Ohlins just sprung to riders weight no custom valving. Lack of experience in motorcycles (14 months on the street/track)

Theres the facts you make the choice.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Man this thread got a bit bastardized in the color change over or am i seeing things??

Be careful when raising the rear of this bike as it is already frontend biased as delivered.
The Penske 8981 is 3/16th longer @ its shortest length compared to the OEM shock so i removed the 3mm shim and still end up +2mm at the rear so due to using a 180/55 i lowered the fork tubes level with the top triple and its very stable at any speed. Now i've gone back to a 190/50 and raised the tubes 3mm so i'll see how it rides.

BD

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
I checked the rake/trail numbers on the zx10 before messing with the ride height, it is VERY conservative, I think 102mm of trail and 24 degrees of rake. I owned a 99 R6 and raised the forks 5mm...that bike only had 86mm of trail and an 120/60 front tire!

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
I did not because that requires you to redrill the front fender so the tire doesn't contact the fender. There were tons of write ups on doing it, I just was lazy and loved the R6s handling. I've said before that I was never comfortable with the 120/70 front tire. The ZX10 is getting me there.
To think back, the R6's stock suspension was so far superior to any bike I've owned since, including the RC, R1, and 636. To top it off I HAD to use a damper on the 636 and not on the R6...go figure.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BNninja said:
Theres the facts you make the choice.
Well I went with the Penske triple adjust rear shock, and the Axxion valving for the forks.

I'll tell you, I wasn't to keen on the price of the Penske so when I was ordering the shock I decide to go with the Elka triple. It looked to be on par with the Penske at two thirds the price! Every thing looked good. Then I got a call from the Traxxion (the company that's doing the work). They ask what I thought of Penske and "for the right price” (winter liquidation I guess! :) ) would I be interested in one of those instead of the Elka, and of course I said yes! (Still a bit more then the Elka but worth it)

I got the shock on Monday (nice unit) and I believe they got my forks on Monday as well, so know I’m just eagerly waiting for the forks to return so I can at lest give the bike the once up and down the block before winter rears is VARY UGLY head!

Thanks for your input you guys

Kyle

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
Let us know what you think of the Elka, I really like the look and affordability it offers. I was contemplating getting one myself so I would be very interested to hear how it does for you, and what you think of the unit after you get some ride time on it.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Every thing looked good. Then I got a call from the Traxxion (the company that's doing the work). They ask what I thought of Penske and "for the right price” (winter liquidation I guess! :) ) would I be interested in one of those instead of the Elka, and of course I said yes! (Still a bit more then the Elka but worth it)
Penske it is.

BD

·
Registered
5 Posts
not sure what Max did for Penske development. probably something.
I was the first to put dished pistons in RR single shocks, showed Penske design problems with the shaft bearing, 8981 compressioin adjust, the range problem with the rebound adjust, and came up with the original high/low adjust, which was witnessed by a former SBK factory crew cheif. I also had found problems with the splitter valve compression in the 80's, something I brought up to Penske when the Penske RR shock showed up with it, as well as the method of assembly shaft last, which allows faster production and easier trackside changes.
LE

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
Lindy said:
not sure what Max did for Penske development. probably something.
I was the first to put dished pistons in RR single shocks, showed Penske design problems with the shaft bearing, 8981 compressioin adjust, the range problem with the rebound adjust, and came up with the original high/low adjust, which was witnessed by a former SBK factory crew cheif. I also had found problems with the splitter valve compression in the 80's, something I brought up to Penske when the Penske RR shock showed up with it, as well as the method of assembly shaft last, which allows faster production and easier trackside changes.
LE
What????:dontknow:

:welcome: :badteeth:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Elka guys seam like nice guys. I have worked with the Elka shock on a roadracing world project bike. seamed O.K. to the rider on the track, but had been altered by Elka and also someone else already. to me, this shock did not have the "crisp" feel I like, nor postive adjustment changes when compared to Penske. good price though. I am sure Elka is working to evolve their shock further. LE

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Lindy,

Just wondering what you've found with the ZX-10R forks. What kind of work are you doing to them to improve things? Or are they better off just being replaced with Ohlins R/T?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
drill the pistons a little, change the shims, change the bottom out, change the top out, and new springs. seems good. of course I can not give you exact specifics, as this is my sole method of earning a living. I can say that my forks out perform R&T s at the National level, and at some AMA Superbike events, Superstock bikes I set up (LE modified stock piston forks) finished ahead of all but one Ohlins SBK, ahead of some $90,000 of Ohlins.
LE

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Now you have to post a price for this service. What happened to the website you used to have up?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts