Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,I am currently in the process of finding a dirt bike (probably a 450 due to my size)Ive never ridden one and really have no knowledge on them other than watching the occational super/arenacross so I am curious if there is anything imparticular I should be looking for or certain questions I should be asking. Any info would be greatly appreciated.Obviously Im gonna try and go green

·
Registered
352 Posts
What kind of riding are you gonna do?
There are mx bikes, trail bikes, off-road bikes, and dual sport bikes.
Picking the right one for what you intend on doing with it is key.

·
Registered
840 Posts
:+1: just guessing though, since you've never ridden you should steer clear of the full on motocross bikes and get an off-road bike. Light makes right off-roada KX450X might work for you depending on where you ride.

·
Registered
533 Posts
i got what you need. 2004 Kawasaki kx250f. fully redone suspension by total control performance.(set for 200 lb rider). renthal 1 1/8 fatbars with arc folding levers, white brothers full titanium exhaust, twin air power up kit with back fire screen eliminator. full 05 valve train and degree key, michelin starcross s-2 tires and sunstar 50 tooth rear sproket. it was my last race bike that got used one season . pm me for details if your interested.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
yea dude, stay away from the full-on mx'ers. its overkill unless you like jumping it and ripping full bore all the time. i'm currently in the market for a wr450. its basically the yz450f, but more trail-oriented. different flywheel weights so it has more low-end power, i believe they have different cams too. anyways, i rode one back to back with an rmz450, and while the rmz was a more "badass" bike, the wr was everything i could want/need with the addition of electric start!! dont know about you, but when i first started riding dirt i HATED kick starting a bike. just my thoughts, good luck dude.

oh, and as is the case with most toys like this, maintenance is the key to longevity. ask if the bike gets serviced after every ride, or every couple of rides. oil changes are hugely important to a 4-stroker.

·
Registered
352 Posts
i got what you need. 2004 Kawasaki kx250f. fully redone suspension by total control performance.(set for 200 lb rider). renthal 1 1/8 fatbars with arc folding levers, white brothers full titanium exhaust, twin air power up kit with back fire screen eliminator. full 05 valve train and degree key, michelin starcross s-2 tires and sunstar 50 tooth rear sproket. it was my last race bike that got used one season . pm me for details if your interested.
250f's are horrible trail bikes. They don't develope any power down low, which is where a trail bike tends to be ridden.
KLX450 is a really good bike. Electric start with a kick-start backup, two odo's, and a speedo, and as opposed to the Honda and Yamaha's, the KLX comes un-restricted right out of the box. No needing to cut the throttle stop, cut the grey wire, un-clog the intake, or switch to "YZ" timing. The bike's ready to ride, right out of the crate.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
250f's are horrible trail bikes. They don't develope any power down low, which is where a trail bike tends to be ridden.
KLX450 is a really good bike. Electric start with a kick-start backup, two odo's, and a speedo, and as opposed to the Honda and Yamaha's, the KLX comes un-restricted right out of the box. No needing to cut the throttle stop, cut the grey wire, un-clog the intake, or switch to "YZ" timing. The bike's ready to ride, right out of the crate.

KLX 450 :thumbsup: That's as right as it gets +++++++++++++ :thumbsup:

·
Registered
533 Posts
ill agree that its not a trial bike. mine is deff. not. But Flty1 never said anything about trail ridding. I ran 4 hair scrambles on this bike in the 125B class and placed top five in 3 of the events. its all about the rider man, i prefure the 250 over the 450 just because i like the strong mid range, and i actually like to use more then 2nd gear. also there is not bike that comes stock completely unrestricted. im pretty shure that bike has the backfire screen in the intake box. while the kxf is a VERY good all around bike its still all depends on who is ridding it.

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
klx 110 sure are fun

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yea dude, stay away from the full-on mx'ers. its overkill unless you like jumping it and ripping full bore all the time. i'm currently in the market for a wr450. its basically the yz450f, but more trail-oriented. different flywheel weights so it has more low-end power, i believe they have different cams too. anyways, i rode one back to back with an rmz450, and while the rmz was a more "badass" bike, the wr was everything i could want/need with the addition of electric start!! dont know about you, but when i first started riding dirt i HATED kick starting a bike. just my thoughts, good luck dude.

oh, and as is the case with most toys like this, maintenance is the key to longevity. ask if the bike gets serviced after every ride, or every couple of rides. oil changes are hugely important to a 4-stroker.
Hey thanks man those are exactly the questions I was curious about although I would like to jump it and rip her around a bit but are you saying the wr450 has more low end than an mx'er?I just dont want to buy something and instantly wish I had gotten something more powerful.Im kind of a torque junkie so I dont know. One more question,why do you need to change the oil so often?, obviously its not gonna hurt anything, but wow every 15 hrs?Might have to bring some tools and oil on camping trips.Thanks for the tips:eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hey thanks man those are exactly the questions I was curious about although I would like to jump it and rip her around a bit but are you saying the wr450 has more low end than an mx'er?I just dont want to buy something and instantly wish I had gotten something more powerful.Im kind of a torque junkie so I dont know. One more question,why do you need to change the oil so often?, obviously its not gonna hurt anything, but wow every 15 hrs?Might have to bring some tools and oil on camping trips.Thanks for the tips:eek:ccasion1
dude, im gonna be totally honest not cuz im tryin to sale a bike but because I dont want you to make a mistake. A 450 is POWERFUL dont be fooled by dirt bikes, its not like our 10's smooth ride on asphault. mx bikes are designed to go fast and stay @ a fast rough pace. you can get torque out of an 85 if thats all your after. any full size mx bike is gonna have torgue and speed. I prefure 250 f's because i Grew up racing 2 strokes untill 2004 so i like to shift alot, and i like the lighter feel vs. the 450. yes a 450 will have more power then you and any begginer rider, or i will be able to ultilize. their easier to ride because a good rider can use 2nd gear around most technical tracks, but they arn't as light or flickable or (in my opnion as much fun to ride) as a 250f or a 2 stroke. the main difference in the mxr's and the trail bikes is suspension and accesories,

trail bikes-electric start, headlights, batterys, and softer springs and dampening.

mx bikes-kick start, stiff suspension, made for a gate to drop and a 25 min moto.

if you want to rip around a track do small table tops or play at the local track a stock kx250 2 stroke would be a good choice, or stock 250 or 450f. if you wanting to playin the woods and have all the luxerys a wr, klx, sxc, or drz is your right choice.

o, and as the for the oil. the oil that runs in mx 4 strokes dosent have friction modifiers, and with the sigle cylender extremly high reving, it breaks down oil super fast. the valve trains a not any where near as good as our 10's. so if you ride 2 or 3 times a week...... hard, expect to be adjusting valves about ever 3months or so, its just something that comes alng with having a race bike.

i hope this info helps you out somewhat on making your choice.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Id look for a 2 stroke cause theyre alot cheaper to rebuild the top end on. 250 is plenty power for anyone and especially a newbie. If you desire more torque out of the 2 stroke then you can easily change the sprocket and be all set. Theres also a flywheel weight that you can add that will help your bottom end.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
damn it! why isnt there a place you could go to try these things out. I thought I was all set to grab my wife a 250 and me a 450, now Im not sure what to do, sounds like a 250 is too big for her.My buddy always used to brag about his old yamaha 250 something just being a brute, Ive just always had the too much is just enough(almost)mindset.As for the luxuries of electric start and lights, thats not a huge concern I could always add a light.Maybe what Ill do is get the 250 first and if its too much for her Ill make that mine and get her a 125. I did talk to a guy at the local kawi dealer and he made it sound like Id really be disappointed in a 250 (and look funny too),not that thats a concern I look funny enough on my 10r but she feels great so who cares about that.Ahhh decisions decisions

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
dude, im gonna be totally honest not cuz im tryin to sale a bike but because I dont want you to make a mistake. A 450 is POWERFUL dont be fooled by dirt bikes, its not like our 10's smooth ride on asphault. mx bikes are designed to go fast and stay @ a fast rough pace. you can get torque out of an 85 if thats all your after. any full size mx bike is gonna have torgue and speed. I prefure 250 f's because i Grew up racing 2 strokes untill 2004 so i like to shift alot, and i like the lighter feel vs. the 450. yes a 450 will have more power then you and any begginer rider, or i will be able to ultilize. their easier to ride because a good rider can use 2nd gear around most technical tracks, but they arn't as light or flickable or (in my opnion as much fun to ride) as a 250f or a 2 stroke. the main difference in the mxr's and the trail bikes is suspension and accesories,

trail bikes-electric start, headlights, batterys, and softer springs and dampening.

mx bikes-kick start, stiff suspension, made for a gate to drop and a 25 min moto.

if you want to rip around a track do small table tops or play at the local track a stock kx250 2 stroke would be a good choice, or stock 250 or 450f. if you wanting to playin the woods and have all the luxerys a wr, klx, sxc, or drz is your right choice.

o, and as the for the oil. the oil that runs in mx 4 strokes dosent have friction modifiers, and with the sigle cylender extremly high reving, it breaks down oil super fast. the valve trains a not any where near as good as our 10's. so if you ride 2 or 3 times a week...... hard, expect to be adjusting valves about ever 3months or so, its just something that comes alng with having a race bike.

i hope this info helps you out somewhat on making your choice.
Thank you very much for all your help too man,you obviously know your stuff.Its just alot of money and I want too get the most out of it.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Thank you very much for all your help too man,you obviously know your stuff.Its just alot of money and I want too get the most out of it.
well im askin 2700.00 obo cuz im about to sale my hauler and have to get it out fo there!!! lol but i understand where ur coming from. j/w how tall are you and your wife? and how much do you weigh?

·
Registered
352 Posts
450 off road bikes (KLX WR CRX etc..) are better at doing mx, than their MX counterparts (KX, YZF,CRF) are at trail riding. The off road bikes are tuned for low and midrange, which means they are happy putting a long at low speeds, yet they also have more top-end than an mx bike. They have a coolant reservoir like you car does, so it gets recirculated back into the radiator when the bike cools down, as opposed to mx bikes which do not. Their suspension is set up softer for slower riding and to be better suited for taking the bumps and hits that trail riding tends to bring. The motors in off-road bikes are a lot more maintenance friendly. For instance, the piston skirt in the KLX 450 is longer than it is in the KX450 and 250, and therefore goes a lot longer in between changes(doesn't "rock"), the valves are made out of a more durable material that has them lasting longer, and adjusted less frequent, and it also has a counter-balance shaft that makes for a smoother ride with a lot less vibration. Because of this, the bike spins up slower,and doesn't "explode" like an mx bike does. This obviously is a lot better for traction, especially with hills, mud, uneven terrain, and riding over roots and rocks etc..
Bottom line is this: If you're new to dirt, the one thing you should certainly do, is stay away from pure-bred MX bikes(2-stroke mx bikes more so), unless you plan on doing nothing but MX. Like I wrote, the modern off-road bikes are designed to do multiple types of riding, where mx bikes are singularly focused. They also require less maintenance, are easier to ride, for the most part have electric start, have suspension better suited for most types of riding, come with spark-arrestors, are are just plain more comfortable to ride. I try to tell people this when they come in, but a lot still buy an MX bike, and suffer for it because they think it's less manly to buy an off-road bike than an mx bike. Heck, a lot of guys purchase the 10 for this reason too.

·
Registered
533 Posts
450 off road bikes (KLX WR CRX etc..) are better at doing mx, than their MX counterparts (KX, YZF,CRF) are at trail riding. The off road bikes are tuned for low and midrange, which means they are happy putting a long at low speeds, yet they also have more top-end than an mx bike. They have a coolant reservoir like you car does, so it gets recirculated back into the radiator when the bike cools down, as opposed to mx bikes which do not. Their suspension is set up softer for slower riding and to be better suited for taking the bumps and hits that trail riding tends to bring. The motors in off-road bikes are a lot more maintenance friendly. For instance, the piston skirt in the KLX 450 is longer than it is in the KX450 and 250, and therefore goes a lot longer in between changes(doesn't "rock"), the valves are made out of a more durable material that has them lasting longer, and adjusted less frequent, and it also has a counter-balance shaft that makes for a smoother ride with a lot less vibration. Because of this, the bike spins up slower,and doesn't "explode" like an mx bike does. This obviously is a lot better for traction, especially with hills, mud, uneven terrain, and riding over roots and rocks etc..
Bottom line is this: If you're new to dirt, the one thing you should certainly do, is stay away from pure-bred MX bikes(2-stroke mx bikes more so), unless you plan on doing nothing but MX. Like I wrote, the modern off-road bikes are designed to do multiple types of riding, where mx bikes are singularly focused. They also require less maintenance, are easier to ride, for the most part have electric start, have suspension better suited for most types of riding, come with spark-arrestors, are are just plain more comfortable to ride. I try to tell people this when they come in, but a lot still buy an MX bike, and suffer for it because they think it's less manly to buy an off-road bike than an mx bike. Heck, a lot of guys purchase the 10 for this reason too.

off road bikes are better at mx????? off road bikes commenly weigh more then 25 lbs over mx bikes. my arguement is skill level and price. A begining rider will be way over their head with a high performance 4-stroke. + a good 2003-2005 kx 250 cost half what that 4 stroke cost both in unit prce and matinence. Why do you think they have bikes lke the klx300 or the ktm sxc mxc or the suzuki rmx. those bike are proven reliable 2 stroke trial bikes.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts