Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, well some of you know I got the 10r all apart for the 06-07 fairing conversion.... I needed to do my valves for a lil while now so I figure while I got her apart I might as well do everything Ive needed to do to her now while I can.

So tonight I got her prepped up until the valve cover ready to be taken off to dig into the valves. I just need to get some tools for the job but looking to see what brand of shim kits any of you have used or how you went about doing it. I used a hotcams box set when I was working at a shop but wondering if theres any others you guys might suggest.

HIT ME UP!!!!!

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also anyone know what size shims they are.... 7.48mm or 9.48mm I'm thinking the 7.48 but not sure??? Haven't been inside a 10r in 4 months or so lol...

·
Registered
753 Posts
Garth,
why do you want to use aftermarket shims, rather than using Kawasaki´s?

You can use this formula to calculate the shim thickness needed, and buy just what you need:

a. Present shim thickness
b. Measured valve clearence
c. Specified valve clearence (Mean value = 0.195mm)
d. Replace shim thickness

Formula : a + b - c = d

Example:

1.600 + 0.31 - 0.195 = 1.715

I get this formula from the service manual.
Pablo
:thumbsup:

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its about 12 bux a shim from the dealer and 9 bux on ronayers..... a shim kit is about 80-90 bux and comes with a whole lot more of them. also I dont wanna rely on someone messing up a simple order and waiting on new shims to come and this and that..... I wanna do it all in one shot and not have my head open for a few days.

·
Registered
753 Posts
its about 12 bux a shim from the dealer and 9 bux on ronayers..... a shim kit is about 80-90 bux and comes with a whole lot more of them. also I dont wanna rely on someone messing up a simple order and waiting on new shims to come and this and that..... I wanna do it all in one shot and not have my head open for a few days.
Thats a good point. I didn´t know prices either.
Increments are at .05 instead of oem .025 Should be fine anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts