Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know we have some cool LEOS on this site so I am curious to see what some of them think about the officer in this video.

And for discussion's sake, let's pretend he never arrested the girl since we don't get to see the whole thing with time stamps and all.

So if he hadn't arrested her and only acted the way he did to her and other tax paying, American citizens, (people) prior to that point, is that acceptable to you as a representation of the profession?

The other officers seemed cool. If you think you are being "baited" why react to such a harmless thing?
They are clearly in a protest or Orwellian, "free speech zone."
You can watch his blood boil and his breaths get quick, he's clearly about to lose it. IMO.
I think he was pissed to have to work that detail to begin with and someone was destined to be arrested regardless of actions.

begin sarcasim- I can't imagine why our courts are over burdened or why judges would get used to having to throw crap out of court. /sarcasim

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
he gave her fair warning. and she proceeded to do it.

im not a LEO, but i can understand his point. why keep pushing his buttons, not worth it... stop being an idiot girl. get a job.

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well, we didn't see her do it again. And I'm really talking less about the arrest and just his attitude in general.
The way he handled it seemed way too much threat and not enough logic, common sense.

But it's blowing freaking bubbles, is that really worth the court's time.

Is it even a lawful request to tell her to stop blowing freaking bubbles outside in public.

Even if he is technically right, I think it's wrong and it looks bad for good cops like my cousin. The lady cop next to him had her glasses on her head, didn't seem bothered and seemed surprised when the other guy's blood pressure visibly spiked.
Almost like she wanted to take a step away from him herself.

But I really want LEO opinions because we seem to have some pretty level headed ones on this board.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I'm not a LEO but I did law enforcement in the Coast Guard and I will say this. Your there to do a job. And part of the job is to maintain an area for your safety and theirs. And having some bratty little girl distracting you by blowing bubbles in your face trying to be cute does not help. Was he a little over the top? Maybe. But then again you only see one part. Who knows what had been happening 10 minutes before that. He could have ASKED her not to blow bubbles. She didn't listen so he had to step it up a notch.

·
Chickenstrip Eater
4,075 Posts
I just love bubbles. Why's the fuzz always hatin on bubbles? Obama is gonna set my bubbles free, all it takes is a little change.

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'm not a LEO but I did law enforcement in the Coast Guard and I will say this. Your there to do a job. And part of the job is to maintain an area for your safety and theirs. And having some bratty little girl distracting you by blowing bubbles in your face trying to be cute does not help. Was he a little over the top? Maybe. But then again you only see one part. Who knows what had been happening 10 minutes before that. He could have ASKED her not to blow bubbles. She didn't listen so he had to step it up a notch.
Fair point. He could have asked nicely that we didn't see. I still think he should have kept his cool.

It was pretty clearly inspired by that 60's thing where they put flowers in the soldiers guns... but it was still just bubbles.
They let children play with bubbles and he was trying to act like they were a threat.
An annoyance maybe, but not a threat, not violent and I'm not sure he has a right to force her to stop. He can ask, but calling it assault is crazy.

That is like when a bad cop bumps into someone on purpose and calls it assault on an officer.

·
Damn I'm Getting Old
995 Posts
She was deliberately antagonizing him. He's there to do a job, and she is trying to distract him from it.

Also, the video doesn't even show why she was arrested. Evidently the person filming decided to leave out that part to make us believe it was just for blowing bubbles. The original officer involved wasn't even the one handcuffing her.

Tell me you like having some little twit blowing bubbles in your face when you're trying to do your job.

·
Pimp/Player
11,412 Posts
If I was the officer I would of asked the girl for the bubble bottle so i could blow some then pour it out give it back to her and be done with it.No harm no foul

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
She was deliberately antagonizing him. He's there to do a job, and she is trying to distract him from it.

Also, the video doesn't even show why she was arrested. Evidently the person filming decided to leave out that part to make us believe it was just for blowing bubbles. The original officer involved wasn't even the one handcuffing her.

Tell me you like having some little twit blowing bubbles in your face when you're trying to do your job.
I'm not so worried about the arrest part as his attitude through out.
As said, we didn't see the whole thing so maybe she did something that did warrant getting arrested that we didn't see.

I wouldn't like it and I could see myself getting that pissed. That's how I know I couldn't be a good officer. But I also might realize that I'm working a protest, where Americans had to be fenced into an area to express an opinion, and that what she was doing was silly and there were cameras just waiting for what he gave them. In fact, he damn near could have sparked actual trouble by pissing the whole crowd off.

I am reminded of the cops show where somone is freaking out about getting a ticket. Yelling, screaming, tears up the ticket and throws it out.

All the officer does is tell them to pick it up or be cited for littering. Guy is a saint, that person was begging for it.
I think he tells them to have a nice day. He doesn't let it ruin his.

·
Blitzkrieg
4,473 Posts
with that being the only footage, im not going to comment on the arrest. or the officers "attitude" either. but yes, that could be only a deterrent to a potential threat. as for the douche walking over and putting in his 2 cents about for a billion dollars he could have gotten a better officer, or something to that affect. its sh!t like that, that gets you involved in something that was none of your business to begin with. for the bubble blower, if you want to blow your harmless bubbles, simply walk away and blow them elsewhere. problem solved. but there is not enough footage to say who was in the wrong, but as rude as it may seem, they are not being paid to hang out and be your buddy, and make you feel special. they are there to protect the well being and safety of the public as a whole. sad truth is, is does'nt matter what we do, we are always under the micro-scope, and we are typically left to make decisions for everyone else monday morning quarterback.

·
Registered
681 Posts
cops have no problem disrespecting us, pepper spraying us, tazing us, throwing us on the ground but god forbid we might blow bubbles at them. and not even alot of bubbles or blowing them hard, she was just blowing bubbles, the calmest way to protest that i've ever seen. i have never had a police officer give me respect or act cool to me, even when i'm more than cool with them, even when they aren't pulling me over.

·
welds like he has palsy
1,761 Posts
cops have no problem disrespecting us, pepper spraying us, tazing us, throwing us on the ground but god forbid we might blow bubbles at them. and not even alot of bubbles or blowing them hard, she was just blowing bubbles, the calmest way to protest that i've ever seen. i have never had a police officer give me respect or act cool to me, even when i'm more than cool with them, even when they aren't pulling me over.
And here we goooooooo................. The "I hate" and "generalizing" all "cops" post. I'm surprised this thread made it to page 2 before a post like this..... :rolleyes:

·
Damn I'm Getting Old
995 Posts
keep in mind that this occurred the day after violent protests, including burning cop cars and vandalizing building, occurred in the area. I think I would be a bit on edge after that.

Oh, and the woman admitted she wasn't arrested for blowing bubbles. The entire video was edited to be provocative against the police. Go figure.

However, according to CNews, Winkels confirmed that she wasn’t arrested for blowing bubbles but instead detained for wearing a backpack and having a lawyer’s number written on her arm. She was charged with one count of conspiracy to commit mischief over $5,000.

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If I was the officer I would of asked the girl for the bubble bottle so i could blow some then pour it out give it back to her and be done with it.No harm no foul
That is using your brain.

That woud have been great and as said, no harm, no foul.:eek:ccasion1

·
Blitzkrieg
4,473 Posts
keep in mind that this occurred the day after violent protests, including burning cop cars and vandalizing building, occurred in the area. I think I would be a bit on edge after that.

Oh, and the woman admitted she wasn't arrested for blowing bubbles. The entire video was edited to be provocative against the police. Go figure.
hmmm, thats never happened before....good post.

·
Damn I'm Getting Old
995 Posts
Effective, but I'm sure the headlines would read "Evil Officer Steals Bubbles from Little Girl".

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

It's obvious the video is skewed, that's why I wanted to leave that part out of the discussion.

I agree with the bubbles being the least harmful protest that I have ever seen.

The thing is, if it had been Officer Ripped on the job, they wouldn't have gotten all the good footage of officer attitude.

And police used to be there in part to be our friends. Walking the beat.
That is why they put some back on bikes and stuff, get to know the beat, the people, then they are comfortable to call you or give information when they know something. Now it seems more us and them.

Police came to our school to befriend us and give out trading cards.

Innocent until proven guilty and payed by the citizens. I think even when arresting someone Police should be polite and professional.
And a lot of them are. Even on "Cops" you see some that are very cool and others who come across like a bully.

Now, if someone poses an actual threat to an officer, or truly resists arrest, then have at it and no need to be polite about it then.

·
Blitzkrieg
4,473 Posts
^ the above is quite true, the police used to be this way. but reality is the public is not the way they used to be either. people are more violent, gangs are trying to kill officers as part of their initiation. people will sue you civilly and take everything you own and have worked to obtain. your agency will just as soon fire you and leave you hanging than try to support you. and our legal system is a joke, thats a whole other discussion. so with all those being taken into account, it quickly becomes the, "you vs them" mentality. not that i agree with this mindset, but it happens,. just like the comment earlier about never being respected. there are a lot of leo's that work in areas that they are constantly beaten down, physically and mentally. its not a easy job, so all im saying is try to step outside your normal realm of normality, because we do not operate in this realm on a daily basis. its easy to second guess someone elses actions, when its not you making these decisions in there perspective enviroments. now with this being said, i will agree that there are bad apples in every group, so its hard to blanket all incidents based on the negative actions of a few.

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
^ the above is quite true, the police used to be this way. but reality is the public is not the way they used to be either. people are more violent, gangs are trying to kill officers as part of their initiation. people will sue you civilly and take everything you own and have worked to obtain. your agency will just as soon fire you and leave you hanging than try to support you. and our legal system is a joke, that's a whole other discussion. so with all those being taken into account, it quickly becomes the, "you vs them" mentality. not that i agree with this mindset, but it happens,. just like the comment earlier about never being respected. there are a lot of leo's that work in areas that they are constantly beaten down, physically and mentally. its not a easy job, so all im saying is try to step outside your normal realm of normality, because we do not operate in this realm on a daily basis. its easy to second guess someone elses actions, when its not you making these decisions in there perspective environments. now with this being said, i will agree that there are bad apples in every group, so its hard to blanket all incidents based on the negative actions of a few.
yeah, that's why I wanted LEO opinions on it to see what you all thought because I've seen lots of level headed comments on this board from most if not all of you.

I think even the girl might have had to laugh if Ripped had done that though.

Law suits mess EVERYTHING up even though at times they are needed.

I can remember in high school, after a game at a local school hangout pizza place. I had a flask with probably rum in it, added some to my drink and the lady saw me. (Hypocrites used to trade beer for a xmas tree at the school tree lot.) So she asked me to leave and knowing I was in the wrong, I politely complied.
As I'm in the car, I see her at the next door Velvet Creme shop over an officer's shoulder pointing at me.

The cop came out to my car, questioned me and I showed him the flask.

He asked where I got the booze and I told him I stole it from my parents.

(That was a lie but I thought it sounded better than I bought it from that store that sell to everyone.)

He asked what I thought would happen if he called them and told them.

I said, they'd probably kill me.

He used his judgement, flask was almost full, she caught me immediately, he decided I didn't appear to be intoxicated and I wasn't.

He had me spill the flask out and let me and my friends go.... and I have never forgotten it and have never got a DUI. Can't say I was perfect after that incident, but he could have made my life hell and I don't think it would have helped me but would have hurt me.

The experience with him that night was enough and he knew it.

I doubt that could happen in today's society. MAYBE in a small town somewhere but not on average.

There have been other times I've been let off when I was in the wrong. Unfortunately, there have also been times where I was in the wrong place at the wrong time or just too close to a pissed off cop where I have been harassed and even though not arressted or ticketed, it really pissed me off and makes me have to force myself to remember the times I've been given a break or benefit of the doubt.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts