Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 from UK, roughly 45k KMs. Been struggling with this issue on and off for about 6 months. It's starting to drive me crazy, and want to get to the bottom of it.

Issue only ever appears when above about 7k RPM. Below that, bike runs with no issues. However, once I get to 7k RPM in any gear, when I open the throttle to the point of moderate acceleration, I experience a sudden loss of power. The change is VERY abrupt. It goes from 100% -> 0% and back again in under a second. I can be enough to throw me forward in the seat and then straight back again. Bike doesn't stutter or struggle at all; it's off and on like a switch. Will do it over and over every few seconds until I let off.

All the maintenance is up to date, including valve clearance. Bike isn't throwing any codes, and doesn't have anything stored.

Originally, I thought this was a fuelling issue. Checked my pump over the weekend and everything seems fine. It does the standard 72ml output over 4 seconds when run switch is toggled. Checked for pressure in the line and it's reading about 44 PSI . Holds over 35 PSI for a full minute after the pump stops. Inside the tank looks clean and so does the pump from what I can see. Had the pump out of the tank, but didn't disassemble.

Changed the chain + sprockets about a month back, so that should be fine. I don't think it's a clutch/transmission issue, as the engine doesn't rev up as acceleration is lost. Seems like the engine stops firing. Again, it isn't struggling, which makes me think it's all cylinders going and not just one or two that are the problem.

Starting to lean toward an electrical issue. Tested the battery last night and it's reporting good condition. Plugs are new about 3 months back. Coils were a little crusty from dried out dielectric grease but they cleaned up fine and it always runs without issue below 7k. Can't remember if I tested them for resistance or not.

I was thinking maybe a bad connection somewhere, but TBH I'm not sure what to check. Also, it works fine right up to 7k even in first gear, so doesn't seem to be related to rate of acceleration. Gauges stay on, so bike seems to have power.

I'm starting to run out of ideas. If anyone has thoughts, ideas, wild speculation, please feel free.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Update:

Last weekend I took apart the sidestand switch and kill switch. Both seemed to be in good shape, if a little dirty. Cleaned up all the contacts and lubed the slide/pivot points. I also stretched out all of the springs a bit in an effort to apply more force to the contacts. In particular, the side stand switch seemed to have very little force pushing the contacts together. It's really just two tiny pieces of metal on a PCB, bent at an angle pushing against the contacts.

Had it out yesterday and today and it seems to have resolved the issue. Loads of acceleration right up until redline without any cutting out. It seems like this may have been the issue.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts