Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm looking for some suggestions/recommendations on where to buy a truck. I want to come down south and buy a RUST FREE truck to bring back home. I have been searching autotrader.com using a 300 mile radius around zip codes from Los Angeles, Pheonix, and Tuscon.

Where else should I be looking?...New Mexico? Texas? NV?

I'm looking for something as rust free as I would find in Arizona....a truck from states such as Minnesota, Michigan, or any of the New England states won't do me any good....lol. I want something that has absolutely never seen snow or salt of any kind.

I also want to avoid any trucks that have lived near the coast anywhere, or may have been driven on the beach, etc, etc.

Any ideas?...throw me a couple zip codes if you're in one of those ultra dry areas....thanks guys.

Rem

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oneradten said:
why ? then it will rust when you take it back:lol:
Hehehehe....naw, it will be stored in my garage here, and not winter driven...thats why I want it to be clean.:thumbsup:

Here, Used = Rusty, its a given.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
deffinately N Nv as our climate is quite dry or low humidity if you will.

I'll be sellin my hauler next year if ya wanna wait. :thumbsup:

BD

·
I really need to get out of the house
11,176 Posts
Any southern state should work especially the ones without moutains, ie Tx, La, Ms.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
west tx especially is nice and dry, but beware of the shady dealers b/c its so close to mexico who knows what you may get.

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
No problems in Dallas Tx and a lot of good deals to be found do to gas prices.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Arkansas is well known to have the lowest used vehicle prices in the country and no problems with rust here try 72801

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No-Mo said:
Arkansas is well known to have the lowest used vehicle prices in the country and no problems with rust here try 72801
Thanks No-Mo, I'll check it out.

By the way guys, what about Oklahoma?...I found a place on Autotrader.com that has about 20 of the trucks I'm lookin' for in Oklahoma City...

Should be good there too shouldn't it?

·
Registered
654 Posts
85029,,,,,,, Phoenix, Be sure to ask about off roading and sand dunes. There is a lot of dry riverbeds and the sand dunes towards San Diego that a lot of folks like to go

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
soida said:
85029,,,,,,, Phoenix, Be sure to ask about off roading and sand dunes. There is a lot of dry riverbeds and the sand dunes towards San Diego that a lot of folks like to go
Thanks man, I've been using 85009...from a customer of mine in the Phoenix area. I actually called about a truck at a dealership in Avondale yesterday, but it was sold the day before.

They told me that if I buy from a dealer, or an auto sales place, that I will have to pay state tax....but if I buy from a private seller that I don't have to....hmmmm.

Is there any way around paying the state tax? They told me that they can give me a "drive-off" temporary registration, but only if I'm going to register the truck in another state.

Oh well....

Rem

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rembrant said:
Thanks No-Mo, I'll check it out.

By the way guys, what about Oklahoma?...I found a place on Autotrader.com that has about 20 of the trucks I'm lookin' for in Oklahoma City...

Should be good there too shouldn't it?
Nevermind about Oklahoma...the seller I was looking at is a "rebuilder"....thats why he had so many trucks. Doh!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
king-tony said:
Vehicles still rust? I have not seen rust on a car built in the last 10 years or so.....
They still rust around here....I've seen vehicles around 10 yrs old junked and parted out because the frames were rusted out already.

A guy at work recently junked a 1994 Chevy pickup.....the quarter panels were full of holes, and the cab mounts had fallen off of it. Unfortunately, it only had about 70K miles on it. Go figure.

Even if the frames and bodies don't fall apart, there is all kinds of other (non-visible) stuff that falls prey to rust....ie: oil pans, brake lines, fuel lines, gas tanks, exhausts, etc, etc.

I've given up....lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts