Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would cause a high frequency type vibration in the front end during compression? Got an 07 zx10, I believe a bridgestone tire (unsure what one..not the stocker i know..was on the bike when I bought it) Running 36-37psi..10 turns out from full on preload, rebound and comp damp. Feels like a 'buzz' through the front end when goin over bumps, rough roads etc. Dosent do it when under acceleration it seems, or on a flat road. Also, when i roll the bike at very slow speeds over a speed bump or up a small curb, forks sound like their giving off a 'whoosh' of air on compression as well. Front tire doesnt look cupped or anything. :dontknow: Bike tracks straight when i let go of the bars at any speed, doenst pull to either side when brakes are applied. Any ideas?? :dontknow:

·
Registered
451 Posts
What would cause a high frequency type vibration in the front end during compression? Got an 07 zx10, I believe a bridgestone tire (unsure what one..not the stocker i know..was on the bike when I bought it) Running 36-37psi..10 turns out from full on preload, rebound and comp damp. Feels like a 'buzz' through the front end when goin over bumps, rough roads etc. Dosent do it when under acceleration it seems, or on a flat road. Also, when i roll the bike at very slow speeds over a speed bump or up a small curb, forks sound like their giving off a 'whoosh' of air on compression as well. Front tire doesnt look cupped or anything. :dontknow: Bike tracks straight when i let go of the bars at any speed, doenst pull to either side when brakes are applied. Any ideas?? :dontknow:
this is interesting, i've only had my '04 for a few weeks now & i've wondered the same. your description sounds very similar to how i would describe mine.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this is interesting, i've only had my '04 for a few weeks now & i've wondered the same. your description sounds very similar to how i would describe mine.
Interesting. I had one guy tell me sounds like stem bearings...bt Ive never had em 'buzz' like this, and only on compression. What tires are you running??

·
Registered
451 Posts
Interesting. I had one guy tell me sounds like stem bearings...bt Ive never had em 'buzz' like this, and only on compression. What tires are you running??
mine are continental sport attacks unfortunately. i hate them, but doubt they are the cause of this.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
mine are continental sport attacks unfortunately. i hate them, but doubt they are the cause of this.
Me either, but was just a shot in the dark, if ya had the same tires maybe could pin point something. I have the BT106 battleax tires...

·
Registered
700 Posts
Check the stem bearings by holding the front break and rocking the bike forward to back if there is any movement take the top triple clamp off and tighten them up.

It could be wheel bearings but that would be kinda odd with a bike this new but they can make a similar sound when under load when going bad.

How many miles do you have on her?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Check the stem bearings by holding the front break and rocking the bike forward to back if there is any movement take the top triple clamp off and tighten them up.

It could be wheel bearings but that would be kinda odd with a bike this new but they can make a similar sound when under load when going bad.

mine is an '04 with 10k

hey TexasRider, is ur bike lowered at all?

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

07 29500 miles. Wheel bearing buzzing? never heard that one before...but what would explain the 'whoosh' noise from the forks when rolling over a speed bump or into a small curb? Low or worn fork oil perhaps??

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey TexasRider, is ur bike lowered at all?
No sir..stock ride height as far as i know. Prev owner never mentioned having it lowered

·
Registered
700 Posts
The forks do make a little noise as compressed as the fluid is being forced through the valveing in the forks. Depends on how loud it is.

At 10k miles the fluid is probally fine and could be just a cupped out front tire making the noise. Try lowering the airpressure to 32psi and see if it gets better.

At 30k miles some stuff could be worn out. I would get the front end in the air and rock the tire side to side to see if there is any play if so replace wheel bearings, I would check the stem bearings also. also at the milage its time to to a servive on your forks also. I would take them apart install new seals and put in fresh fluid. The stock fluid is around 7.5 weight. so a 5 or 10 weight would be fine.

Also for both bikes run your hand over the front tire and if you feel any bumps that can cause that noise also. Its called cupping

·
Registered
451 Posts
The forks do make a little noise as compressed as the fluid is being forced through the valveing in the forks. Depends on how loud it is.

At 10k miles the fluid is probally fine and could be just a cupped out front tire making the noise. Try lowering the airpressure to 32psi and see if it gets better.

At 30k miles some stuff could be worn out. I would get the front end in the air and rock the tire side to side to see if there is any play if so replace wheel bearings, I would check the stem bearings also. also at the milage its time to to a servive on your forks also. I would take them apart install new seals and put in fresh fluid. The stock fluid is around 7.5 weight. so a 5 or 10 weight would be fine.

Also for both bikes run your hand over the front tire and if you feel any bumps that can cause that noise also. Its called cupping
the tires are brand new on mine, i will double check the air pressure tho

·
Registered
222 Posts
Running 36-37psi..10 turns out from full on preload, rebound and comp damp.
If you have the comp/reb set 10 turns out (0-12 is the range with 0 being stiff), the front may be pogoing because of lack of damping.

grab your clip ons while standing beside the bike and push down through the steering head. the front should come up and stop, not bounce up and down, at all. if it does bounce at the top of the stroke set the front to say 4 clicks out for both rebound and compression as a starting point. then adjust from there.

has this bike been set for sag? take it to a suspension shop if you havent done this before.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I dont feel any cupping on my front tire..i know theyre pretty new. I know the noise on my forks is pretty noticeable. I can hear it with my helmet on..and the bike running.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you have the comp/reb set 10 turns out (0-12 is the range with 0 being stiff), the front may be pogoing because of lack of damping.

grab your clip ons while standing beside the bike and push down through the steering head. the front should come up and stop, not bounce up and down, at all. if it does bounce at the top of the stroke set the front to say 4 clicks out for both rebound and compression as a starting point. then adjust from there.

has this bike been set for sag? take it to a suspension shop if you havent done this before.
Bike has not been set for sag for me. Prev owner i believe had it set for him.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I dont feel any cupping on my front tire..i know theyre pretty new. I know the noise on my forks is pretty noticeable. I can hear it with my helmet on..and the bike running.
Sounds like the forks need to come apart.

come to think of it the rebound damping could be the problem with both bike.

IF the suspensions is not keeping the tire planted to the ground durning breaking it could be bouncing up and down causing the high frequency resonating your are hearing. Try cranking the rebound down and see what that does eather way i would have the forks rebuild. It should cost less than $300 if no parts are broken

1 - 16 of 16 Posts