Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all-
I am looking for a wire that is hot when the engine is running (not when the ignition is on but the engine is not running).
This is to power a relay for a heated jacket and gloves. These items draw about 70 watts, so I would like the relay to be open when the motor is not running.
Anyway, I have done a bit of a search, no luck so far. Please point me in the right direction.
The headlight relay would work, I think, if there is one...

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Either the fuel pump or the low beam headlamp will do what you are looking for.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Either the fuel pump or the low beam headlamp will do what you are looking for.
Yeah, and if I could find the headlight relay, I would be good to go. I don't want to tap into my low beam. I am hoping to tap into something under bodywork.
Fuel pump? Mine comes on before start, or at least one of them does...
And if anyone can point me to a how to for the fuel tank removal, as I would like to review it before diving in, I would appreciate it.
I have looked in the how to section, did not see one there. No luck with a search, either.
I need the tank off for another mod.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Fuel pump only runs for 3 or 4 seconds. If your heated jacket and gloves will kill the battery during 3 or 4 seconds more than the operation of the starter motor, you've got much bigger problems!

The headlamp will work better for you, since that's off and stays off while the starter motor is operating. The headlight control relay is inside the junction box under the rider's seat, and you'll need the wiring diagram in order to find out which wire.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fuel pump only runs for 3 or 4 seconds. If your heated jacket and gloves will kill the battery during 3 or 4 seconds more than the operation of the starter motor, you've got much bigger problems!

The headlamp will work better for you, since that's off and stays off while the starter motor is operating. The headlight control relay is inside the junction box under the rider's seat, and you'll need the wiring diagram in order to find out which wire.
No, they won't, unless I am starting in in very cold temperatures, which I do. Often. I use my bike in my business, whenever I need to move my crane. I load the bike on the crane, drive to the new site, unload bike, go home. Usually a long way home.

So, not having the wiring diagram, if anyone can tell me which wire it is and which relay it comes out of, I would appreciate it.

Cheers,
Jay.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I would use the running light in the tail of the bike for a hot wire.

What is the amp draw on a heated suit?

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
what kind gloves are they...i just re-wired an ac adapter from auto zone to my battery and plug them in that way

1 - 7 of 7 Posts