Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm pretty set on the kfx 400 but on a very low budget.looking for something used even broken.i came across a07 bombardier ds 650 needs a tune up and battery for 1k.any one know much about this quad?i just know its big bulky heavy.and doesn't have reverse.and its not akawi.all thing i don't like lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
I'm here WAY too much..
1,998 Posts
KFX400's are really nice and pretty fast too.. If you're on a low budget look around for a Banshee.. Lightning fast, cheap and Sooooooo much fun. That and quadzilla are the two most legendary quads I think, and for good reason..2 stroke though, not sure if your looking for one of those.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was thinking of the banshee, but i wanted to go 4stroke so i have less of a chance to annoy people. the sound travels a bit lol. I found a 01 raptor 660, but im hearing they break alot.

·
I'm here WAY too much..
1,998 Posts
i was thinking of the banshee, but i wanted to go 4stroke so i have less of a chance to annoy people. the sound travels a bit lol. I found a 01 raptor 660, but im hearing they break alot.
I had a raptor 660.. They have starter issues sometimes. I had to fix mine, it was an easy fix though. The bike is beast for sure, but not very light or nimble. Other than that, didn't have any complaints. I ended throwing an edelbrock slide carb in there because on long and tall wheelies, the stock carb would choke out. They respond well to mods.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Speed.power.good for trails.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Chairman of the Board
16,050 Posts
I did some serious seat time on the Honda CRF450R and had a real blast. Im not sure how much better the 700 would be if any but I would own the 450 in a heart beat.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
The 450r's run close with a raptor til about 70mph. They are much lighter and handle well like most hondas. You can get a Honda 400EX for cheap. They have jug kit that will take it to a 440 but those have head gasket issues. My buddy wanted reliablity on his so he dropped some stage 1 cams and hi compression piston it haven't broken yet but it requires 110 octane. He gets his out maybe twice a year so the extra fuel cost doesn't concern him. The cams make it a little high strung for trails but it rips up the dunes and creek beds.

I will always be partial to 86-89 Honda TRX 250R's. That is what I learned on when I was 9. I now have an 89 and miss the long swing arm of the 86 that I learned on. I guess people bitched about the first one understeering and was unresponsive but it hammer the gas it will rotate. I can remember 120 lbs ago going lock to lock fishtailing at 70mph on asphalt. Good times.

I guess it depends on what your budget is.

·
Registered
578 Posts
The Honda 700 is a horrible machine unless you want pretty much a 2wd utility you can shift it has irs and is a heavy turd. All your 450's will outrun a raptor in a 300ft race as well.. The raptor is geared higher and the 450s if treated right will run as long as the old 400ex's only issue i ever had was overheating issues but i rode in Oklahoma for the most part when i came home to PA i never had that issue

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
The 450s haul some serious ass. We have on 04 predator 500, and the only 2 bikes that have ever beaten me on it were a highly modded yfz450 and a banshee. The bashee ate my ass and the 450 was by abt 3/4 of a bike, but it would've been more bec if Marcus didnt weight 250 to my 170 at the time. I was radared at 85 on it too. I love kawi but when it comes to atvs ill only own Polaris. My sportsman 700 was a freaking monster in the mud

·
Registered
565 Posts
I was recently looking for one and I ended up with a 400ex from a guy who raced class A and used the 400ex as his fun quad . LOVE the quad!

I wanted a kfx400 being a Kawasaki guy but the 400ex prooves its reliablity
The banshee is not good for a low budget maintainance wise, still a fun quad though

As someone said the YFZ450 is thee nastiest most race ready quad and take any Yamaha apart and you will see first hand they are much higher quality built. But any 450 made for a track, you are paying for more power and suspension. If you are not going to a track I would steer away from the uneeded features the 450 has, they also have more maintanance involved. I would go with a Z400/KFX400 (which is the same thing) or a 400ex which I did and I was told they are a better all round machine by people who race, and owning one now I believe it. Low maintanance, always reliable and enough power I could want, going through trails, fields, wheelies and whatever I want to do. And they are also semi ready for a track.

The 700's are good for wide open power and feilds and they will also start right up just as most of the 400's do.

I sell all these toys everyday and have riden a good handful, narrow it down to where and how you are riding:

On a track :450
Open space and gobs of power: 700
All around fun, trails, wheelies and great power: 400
In sand or desert: Banshee
(nothing comes close in the sand)

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
i just sold a yfz for 1250:heyyou: ran fine but she was an ugly one

just keep an eye out. quads are about to drop hard core in the next month. atleast in MN that is lol

·
Registered
215 Posts
Now don't forget these race quads have the same maintenance schedules as say a CRF450 or YZF450 and so on. Oi/filterl change every 5 hours and so on. Most people don't realize this when they buy one. My pops bought a new Suzuki 450 and almost shit a brick when he saw the oil change intervals. Stock up on Rotella at walmart if you're buying one.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
the valve adjustment schedule is rather rediculious aswell.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts