Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I think I have pretty much decided to sell the 10. I am just not comfortable on it any more. I have done the Heli bars and the Buell peg conversion and it has made a difference but not enough. I am looking to do some touring, I have been seriously looking at the Concours. I think it will have some of the speed I'm used to but in a much more comfortable ride. I am probably going to strip my 10R down to almost stock so all you body snatchers can feast on the remains when I get around to taking them off :mrgreen:

I know some of you have a Connie, tell me your experiences, how bad is the "heat problem" really?

·
Registered
119 Posts
It's funny you mention the connie because there's a guy in our group who rides the piss out of his! He is faster that sheit, and like you makes me wonder why I ride a sportbike in the first place!(not really).

Check this out. Around the 6.35 part of the video the connie passes a Gix 1k on the OUTSIDE of a turn. The camera man is on a SV1000. :lol:

BTW,If you ever want to get rid of your heli-bars, hit me up!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a nice vid, I want to see how far I can go without hitting the bags on the tarmac. It appears that I will have no problem selling parts from my 10R...I have already had some PM's too...

I love it...you guys are just like me!

Just so everyone knows...I will not be taking any parts off my 10R until about March or so...it's fuggin' cold here and my garage is not heated.....yeah yeah I know I'm a dumb shit!

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
That was a sweet bid but I had to mute that annoying buzzing sv. As far as a connie, why not a zx14 with an lsl bar riser kit? I'm sure you could be comfy on something like that.

·
Team Green Baby!
2014 MV Agusta F3 675
1,519 Posts
I never rode one but that vid should make you feel good about getting one though! :lol: That was pretty awesome. Goes to show the rider makes a difference. :helmet:

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
ShinobiZXR
I never rode one but that vid should make you feel good about getting one though! That was pretty awesome. Goes to show the rider makes a difference.
:eek:ccasion1

Nice video, takes for sharing...I'm just going to guess with the weird body position,slow corner speeds and always searching for the ground with the puck the guy on the gsxr hasn't been riding for long? Just what I noticed :idea:

But man that sv is buzzing :crackup:

I agree why not go with a 14 instead of the connie. Oh well rep sent to the guy on the connie cause he was ripping it :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I'd go with the zx14 first.I've got almost 43,000 miles on my 06.Of course that's with the Genmar risers,corbin relocators and concours seat.
A friend of mine just picked up a 08 Connie for $5500 wrecked.The guy sold him the bike(just a lite low side)with new parts he bought just to get out of it.The windshield motor was $530 alone.
If I get a Connie it's going to be a 2010.With all the upgrades they did this year.....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I have a friend with one and he uses it as a touring bike or at least he did...it went into the shop and while it was there he got impatient and bought a Road King...why I have no idea...

But I think if I am going to jump to the touring style I will go head first and get the Connie...it's the sensible older brother of the ZX14.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
I'd go with the zx14 first.I've got almost 43,000 miles on my 06.Of course that's with the Genmar risers,corbin relocators and concours seat.
A friend of mine just picked up a 08 Connie for $5500 wrecked.The guy sold him the bike(just a lite low side)with new parts he bought just to get out of it.The windshield motor was $530 alone.
If I get a Connie it's going to be a 2010.With all the upgrades they did this year.....:thumbsup:

Excuse my ignorance but WTF is a windshield motor?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yup, power windows on a motorcycle....what will they think of next?

·
Registered
890 Posts
The ZX14 Is the best sport tourer ive ever had. The coat of my ZX14 was 6000$ in pristeen condition only having 935miles at purchase . Being ive never ridden a Concours it just may be even better, being It is designed as a touring mount with all the ammenities. But is a used Concours in the same price range as the ZX14 with comparable aftermarket touring items?

Growing up on the old bikes with spegetti frames . Now I am older and hopefully wiser (lol) I look for bikes that handle well and the shaft drive puts me off. They cant eliminate the shaft effect as long as the rear of a motorcycle has to travel . With quality brand chains lasting upwards of 20k now I dont see any advantage of a shaft drive . ... Is it a unwritten law that touring bikes cant have chain drive?

Both are great rides im sure . So its really down to personal choice IMHO

·
Registered
28 Posts
I owned a first gen Connie..great bikes...good wind protection and they run forever.

I missed having a real sportbike..so I offloaded it for my current 10R.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Growing up on the old bikes with spegetti frames . Now I am older and hopefully wiser (lol) I look for bikes that handle well and the shaft drive puts me off. They cant eliminate the shaft effect as long as the rear of a motorcycle has to travel . With quality brand chains lasting upwards of 20k now I dont see any advantage of a shaft drive . ... Is it a unwritten law that touring bikes cant have chain drive?

Both are great rides im sure . So its really down to personal choice IMHO
The shaft drive is virtually negligable on the connies. They've come a long way since the old shaft drive bikes in the 80's.

As for the chain, sure they last 20k miles if you take care of them. but you need to lube them every 500 miles. You need to adjust them every 5000 miles or so. They sling crap all over the rear of your bike. For what? a 10-20 lb weight difference? Not worth it if you're going to be doing more than 10,000 miles per year on public roads IMO. I'll take shaft drive and a center stand any day. Change the fluid every 20,000 miles and forget about it.

If you really want a connie, skip the zx14. Hard bags, keyless ignition, shaft drive, and heated stuff are all good reasons to get one. You won't miss the extra 20 mph top speed. I've ridden my buddies connie 14....the thing is an effing rocketship anyways.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I have always noticed shaft drive effects (even when i didnt look to see the bike had it )But have you seen the Yamahas FJ1300 1400?. It has a automatic/semi automatic( you choose) transmission i think alot of people , including myself would go nuts reaching for the clutch all the time . plus lak of control would be an issue . im usually very forgiving being I gre up with the od twisting 70 and 80s bikes . too much tech just isnt for me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts