Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
A lot, I think 7-800 for one cam? Too much for this build, I don't need to make every HP from the motor, I just need a solid foundation for spray.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
That's cheap! I emailed them, thanks.

Still, I'll wait until I try Jim's sidewinder / spray it.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
That's cheap! I emailed them, thanks.

Still, I'll wait until I try Jim's sidewinder / spray it.
The guy who manages the Motorcycle cams is Called Tony, its relatively normal to call Kent and ask to speak to him, he really knows this stuff and is all to happy to help.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I confirmed that Tony at Kent Cams sells race intake regrind cams for ~200 USD plus shipping. This is a great option since the OEM cams are hard to find these days. Thanks for the tip.

Not sure if Jim is tied up, but I ended up mounting an Akrapovic header I had in the attic. I was meant for a Gen 1, and I couldn't get it to fit the first time I tried. This time I was more persistent and got it on, but it's a bitch. It will have to be 'open header' - but I don't care what the torque curve is like. I hope to try it at the dragstrip this Friday. El Mirage is July 21 if the lakebed is ready.

Attachments

·
Registered
331 Posts
i've used the stk lift web reprofiled cams in three gen 1 builds, all upper 180's hpon oxy fuel. i think as u u are overcammed on int due to high duration, i still also think the duration/pipe combo is critical, believe there is 8-10 hp there with correct pipe on current setup.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Long time no update, but I finally made it out to El Mirage this past weekend. After gaz swapped the Cosworth cam for a Gen 3 race intake cam, and I mounted the Akra header, it made 183 SAE hp on pump gas with Brian Livengood's tuning. I bumped the record from 172 to 173 on an OK pass on Saturday. After 4 hours dropping the engine to certify engine size, I was done for the day. The data showed it was pretty rich for the elevation, and after a late-night tuning consult with Brian, I leaned the map in the morning and it ran 180.9 on Sunday, and I was happy with that. The traction is far from asphalt, and the high desert air isn't as dense as I'm used to. I hope to go back in May with the wet kit mounted and see if I can melt some pistons.

It was good to see Dustin - who went 208 on his turbo Gen 2, a great record pass.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Haha! Awesome to see you back out there too... let me know if you need me to bring any extra pistons to the May meet.... I have a few laying around. ;)

180 on a nekkid, no spray, no turbo bike in the high desert dirt... that's stout man!

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Update on this project, which took a big step this past weekend.

I took the bike to Brian Livengood at Livengood Motorsports outside Atlanta, and tuned the bike for alcohol and a wet shot - 18N/14F. That went well, and it made 185hp on the motor and 230hp spraying.

The bike had gone 181mph in the same class at the Nov 2020 meet, so calculations (Sumner) predicted 195 with the extra power. I picked sprockets that would put me around that speed in 5th gear. The first pass went well, the course was great and there was a gusty quartering tailwind. With the 60lb of ballast it didn't break traction when I hit the button and went 194 for a new record. Got through impound (engine still sealed from Nov) and the log showed it was a bit rich, around 12:1.

I put in 23/17 pills in place of the 18/14s, pulled 4 degrees of timing and got back in line. No dyno pulls with this shot, but NX predicted ~75hp. This would get me in the magic zone of new hat joy if all went well. No one had broken 200 on a naked unblown 1000 before in the SCTA, but they were close, 197 & 198.

I get to the front of the line and warm up the engine, and it cuts out. I jiggle the kill switch and there is a loose connection somewhere. I do whatever I can in the minutes I have, and it seems to be working, but I have no idea if the bike will make it down the track. I take off, get into 6th and hit the button, the tire holds, but the bike is cutting out slightly, but it manages to stay running, and clocks 200.3. A patrol rode over and told me and I almost lost my mind with joy - it was sooo close!

John Noonan, who had been helping me for several years at El Mirage, showed up to push me back and took a bunch of pics, he seemed just as happy as I was. Thanks John. Also good to see Spaz and Jay out there with the badass blown pushrod bike.

The bike made it through impound, I got a new hat from Mike Stewart, and took more pictures. It didn't seem real, and I couldn't stop grinning. Eventually I look at the log, and it was super rich when spraying, 10.8, so there's more power in it if I switch out the fuel pills and replace the kill switch. So maybe another 4500 mile round trip this November :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
On the 194 pass it was at 13K, and around 12600 on the 200 pass. I wouldn't put more than 260hp on stock rods with spray - assuming the top end is built for it and there is no detonation. With alcohol and retarded timing, I feel comfortable.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
On the 194 pass it was at 13K, and around 12600 on the 200 pass. I wouldn't put more than 260hp on stock rods with spray - assuming the top end is built for it and there is no detonation. With alcohol and retarded timing, I feel comfortable.
[/QUOTE
I actually thought you would be screaming that higher.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts