Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
A lot, I think 7-800 for one cam? Too much for this build, I don't need to make every HP from the motor, I just need a solid foundation for spray.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
That's cheap! I emailed them, thanks.

Still, I'll wait until I try Jim's sidewinder / spray it.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
That's cheap! I emailed them, thanks.

Still, I'll wait until I try Jim's sidewinder / spray it.
The guy who manages the Motorcycle cams is Called Tony, its relatively normal to call Kent and ask to speak to him, he really knows this stuff and is all to happy to help.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I confirmed that Tony at Kent Cams sells race intake regrind cams for ~200 USD plus shipping. This is a great option since the OEM cams are hard to find these days. Thanks for the tip.

Not sure if Jim is tied up, but I ended up mounting an Akrapovic header I had in the attic. I was meant for a Gen 1, and I couldn't get it to fit the first time I tried. This time I was more persistent and got it on, but it's a bitch. It will have to be 'open header' - but I don't care what the torque curve is like. I hope to try it at the dragstrip this Friday. El Mirage is July 21 if the lakebed is ready.

Attachments

·
Registered
294 Posts
i've used the stk lift web reprofiled cams in three gen 1 builds, all upper 180's hpon oxy fuel. i think as u u are overcammed on int due to high duration, i still also think the duration/pipe combo is critical, believe there is 8-10 hp there with correct pipe on current setup.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Long time no update, but I finally made it out to El Mirage this past weekend. After gaz swapped the Cosworth cam for a Gen 3 race intake cam, and I mounted the Akra header, it made 183 SAE hp on pump gas with Brian Livengood's tuning. I bumped the record from 172 to 173 on an OK pass on Saturday. After 4 hours dropping the engine to certify engine size, I was done for the day. The data showed it was pretty rich for the elevation, and after a late-night tuning consult with Brian, I leaned the map in the morning and it ran 180.9 on Sunday, and I was happy with that. The traction is far from asphalt, and the high desert air isn't as dense as I'm used to. I hope to go back in May with the wet kit mounted and see if I can melt some pistons.

It was good to see Dustin - who went 208 on his turbo Gen 2, a great record pass.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Haha! Awesome to see you back out there too... let me know if you need me to bring any extra pistons to the May meet.... I have a few laying around. ;)

180 on a nekkid, no spray, no turbo bike in the high desert dirt... that's stout man!

41 - 50 of 50 Posts