Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I paid a local shop $1,000 for a full service, valve adjustment and air filter service.

I picked up my bike and got the bill and noticed no air filter on the bill

I called them and they said it didn't need changing.

I then took it to another shop and asked them to pull the tank and inspect the air filter.

This is what they gave me...

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No ...owner of the shop is a complete idiot....never orders the right parts or doesn't order them at all....bike runs much better so I know they did the valve adjustment and the replaced the tensioner assembly...but when I called them about the air filter owner wasn't there...first they said the serviced the K & N. Then I told them it didn't have a K & N. Then they said the air filter was fine...so not believing them I took it to a dealer down the street and have him lift the tank and that's what I found. I am disputing the charge with American Express the labor charge the dealer is charging me for replacing the filter with an OEM new one. Also disputing they charged me for bleeding the rear brake and fluid. When I left the shop I had no rear brake. Dealer said had air in the line. Dealer bleed the rear and works fine now...another charge I'm disputing. Talking to the shop or even bringing it up is a complete waste of time. Why bother.

·
Registered
454 Posts
So I paid a local shop $1,000 for a full service, valve adjustment and air filter service.

I then took it to another shop and asked them to pull the tank and inspect the air filter.

This is what they gave me... View attachment 444035
This is why I service all my vehicles myself when i can. Hard to find a trustworthy shop or mechanic that cares.

Seems I need to invest in a tire machine also... Recently bought new tires for my f150 at discount tire and they scratched all my rims very bad, mounted one tire wrong way, and every tire had different psi. They bought me all new rims.. I will never go back there.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
There are associations you can go to here who would investigate and take a case up against the shop! Is there any possibility you can do similar there?

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fraud and not worth the trouble....civil case. I am just disputing the charge amount for the dealer doing the work (with AMEX) and moving on.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
This is why I service all my vehicles myself when i can. Hard to find a trustworthy shop or mechanic that cares.

Seems I need to invest in a tire machine also... Recently bought new tires for my f150 at discount tire and they scratched all my rims very bad, mounted one tire wrong way, and every tire had different psi. They bought me all new rims.. I will never go back there.
"Hard to find a trustworthy shop or mechanic that cares."
what he said :rolleyes: its a world wide issue that!!

·
Registered
2,038 Posts

You and me both! And ditto on the tire thing.

Older Guy, do you have a local buddy - preferably a forum member - that would help wrench?

This is fucked and why ive done most of my own wrenching since i got hosed on a carb clean twice on my first bike - 1995 ZX6R. No more carbs for me lol!

Have i ever detailed my last adventure to the stealership about a clutch cable? The guy at parts gave me such a hassle i ended up bringing him a new box of Tampons when i picked up my cable. They nearly got physical upon throwing me out lol. Fun times!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Wait..what?? They can't do the valve service without pulling the air filter and they certainly wouldn't have reassembled the bike with that filter. Are you sure they even did anything? I don't think you could tell if the bike was running better after a valve service or new plugs.

I ran 2x the recommended mileage on my factory plugs by waiting until the 1st valve service interval. Several shims were really out of spec at that mileage and the bike ran exactly the same before and after.

The only time I ever noticed a smoother running motor (and only because the sound went away) is when I manually adjusted my OEM cam chain tensioner by 1 tooth.

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They claimed to have replaced the tensioner and the bike didn't rattle at all when I picked it up...so I really do believe the adjusted valves, replaced the plugs, replaced the tensioner....just never ordered the air filter and figured they just leave it in there. Bike goes like Hell so I know they tuned. Even the dealer tech, after he put a new filter in, said holy shit that bike screams...

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I went over to Del Amo Motorsports in Santa Ana and they charge $310 for a set of Q-3+ and $30 a tire to remove, mount and replace on the bike...so that's where I'm taking the bike for tires in the future. Any further tuning I will truck the bike to Attack Performance (the MotoAmerica) guys for tuning...they did the original map on the bike that got me over 200 HP with the cat on the bike. I do my own oil and filter changes. Only issue is replacing the air filter every 10,000 miles...that's beyond me....and too much a pain in the ass for me to fawk with at my age...

·
Registered
764 Posts
I have a lot of trust in our local dealer, but, if possible I like to do all the routine stuff myself including changing plugs and air filter. Plugs last forever nowadays, but the air filter gets very dirty real quick.
I wouldn't be in a hurry to use that shop again tho after your experience (n)

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just pulled the tail and seat and they have the ECU sitting on top of the battery.....and it was loose...ran the battery strap over the ECU and fastened it correctly. Does it matter there ECU is here now?

·
Registered
80 Posts

This is what they gave me... View attachment 444035
Daylight robbery that...your honesty looking at £150 all in just for the service parts i.e k&n, Castrol, hiflo & NGK.

Service for oil/air filter and spark plugs with brake fluid and oil change 3 hours at the most.

Head valve clearance is around £150-250 Inc labour and parts.

So your looking less then what you actually paid for. In my honest opinion they charged you for storage.

If I were you document everything and get all your money back. I can tell you right now they didn't do the valve adjustment. Reason why petrol tank and air box has to come off so why not change the air filter.

Customer never going to look underneath there.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts