Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how many members here have a lo-jack system in their 10's? After reading sonny boys post about his misfortunes last night, and seeing a Lo-Jack commercial on TV the other night, im gonna look into it for sure. Soooo, how many of ya have it, have had it...any experiences, feedback, comments, whatever...love to hear em

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Don't have it, may spring for it on next bike- already installed before pick up maybe haggle it into the sale.
Friend got his mustang back with it.

Sat tracking is an option too, in a big city most cop cars are going to have lojack trackers though and that allows the cops direct hands on tracking over a go between with satellite.

Lojack is careful about who they allow to install it- problem is real (smart/professional scumbag) theives will have it installed on a legit bike and then figure out where it is mounted.

Still for about $900 and maybe some insurance savings- could be worth it.

How well could it be hidden on a zx10r? not to many open spaces to hide something even the size of a cell phone.

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
hangman39 said:
Not aval. in Alabama or I would have it already lost one bike would be worth it to me.
Maybe sat tracking for you then.http://www.phantomtracking.com/Store/tmpl/fulleebb.html?body=company

Can also alert help when you wipe out- supposedly, kind of imitating on star.

They better not monitor speeding though, damn Orwellian slant on society lately.

here is a lower buget way you could do it but you'd have to be quick before they found and tossed the tracker- it will call and alert you though.

http://www.sharperimage.com/us/en/catalog/product/sku__MT200

Sophisticated real-time security and tracking device uses global GPS and wireless Internet communication to secretly keep tabs on anything that moves.
Keep it hidden in the trunk of a car, stashed in a child's backpack, zipped into a computer briefcase — anything you want to keep track of and be able to find!
Program speed limits and distance restrictions — Locate 1 will automatically send a message when it moves or travels too far or too fast, based on those limits you set!
Features automatic updates every hour. Easy-to-read reports summarize Locate 1's daily activity and movements over the past 30 days.
No bigger than a deck of cards, weighs no more than a cell phone.
Requires Web service subscription; monthly fees range from $19.95 to $49.95, plus activation fee.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
The dealer I purchased the 10 from offers LocJack today, but didn't back when I purchased it new. I believe the installed price is around $600.

The one thing I find really hokey about LoJack is that they don't offer LoJack decals for the bike. Their website FAQ claims they're not a deterrent, but a recovery device.

Personally, I'd rather someone deterred than ending up with a partially stripped motorcycle. I guess they're just trying to protect their little piece of the world.

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
circusnuts said:
The dealer I purchased the 10 from offers LocJack today, but didn't back when I purchased it new. I believe the installed price is around $600.

The one thing I find really hokey about LoJack is that they don't offer LoJack decals for the bike. Their website FAQ claims they're not a deterrent, but a recovery device.

Personally, I'd rather someone deterred than ending up with a partially stripped motorcycle. I guess they're just trying to protect their little piece of the world.
But if they KNOW that it has lojack then it will go into a special van or cargo container and be stripped now, rather than be left somewhere and watched for a day or two to see if it is located or just get ridden and hopefully caught.

That is why no warning sticker- use a pager alarm for that and a decal of a big gun maybe.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
ZX10Miami said:
That is why no warning sticker- use a pager alarm for that and a decal of a big gun maybe.
Or maybe I should just buy a BMW :lol:

From what I've seen, you can practically leave the key and no one will take the thing.

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
circusnuts said:
Or maybe I should just buy a BMW :lol:

From what I've seen, you can practically leave the key and no one will take the thing.
Yeah- no BMW rider is buying hot parts or even used likely.

A BMW labeled motorcycle cover that goes to the ground covering wheels is an old theft deterent trick. Specially when beemers were all ugly "toasters" and no sporties.

·
Still here
9,059 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
I'm highly suspect of GPS/Satellite based tracking systems. Crooks know that these systems can be made useless by tossing the bike in a van. For extra measure they can throw a shielding blanket over it.

LoJack works so well because it's RF based.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I don't know maybe it all depends on how much money is tied up to your bike. I'm pretty sure the LOJACK can be discovered inside a van while the thieves are still driving around. You really can't hide nothing in a bike unless you have a Goldwing. Most thieves don't really need the whole bike... just parts. The fairings,tank and wheels alone cost more than half of the bike. I'm pretty sure LOJACK can't recover your bike in 30 minutes. Then figuring your insurance theft/vandalism deductible. Now you're stuck with the hassle of putting your bike together. Its been molested and its never gonna feel the same.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
ZX10 Guy said:
I'm highly suspect of GPS/Satellite based tracking systems. Crooks know that these systems can be made useless by tossing the bike in a van. For extra measure they can throw a shielding blanket over it.

LoJack works so well because it's RF based.
Agree...but then again most don't put these devices on bikes but expensive cars and would suspect most thief’s would not even consider or take precautions :headshake:...I know I read somewhere on this site where it worked, and that is propably one of a very small minority on this site that had a tracking system when their bike was stolen.

I also believe there should be no STICKER to warn theifs that there is a tracking device...they may not find out until after they stole the bike and when they do dump it hard in a river or over a hill real quick when they find out they are being tracked. :badteeth:...better to let the device do it's job and catch them within 24hrs as it's intended. :idea:

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
bluedevil said:
Agree...but then again most don't put these devices on bikes but expensive cars and would suspect most thief’s would not even consider or take precautions :headshake:...I know I read somewhere on this site where it worked, and that is prop-ably one of a very small minority on this site that had a tracking system when their bike was stolen.

I also believe there should be no STICKER to warn theifs that there is a tracking device...they may not find out until after they stole the bike and when they do dump it hard in a river or over a hill real quick when they find out they are being tracked. :badteeth:...better to let the device do it's job and catch them within 24hrs as it's intended. :idea:
I remember that and read somewhere that two bikes were recovered along with a third bike that had lojak. Also helped bust a ring I think.

Thing about lojak in a big city is a fair chance of a lojack car, helicopter or lojak company van finding the thing. If it is in a faraday cage then they are fairly professional and your screwed anyway I guess.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I ran the Lojak idea by my wife last night and she thought that was a great idea. Still, I don't think there is any one solution that can stop a professional thief from getting your bike if they want it.

Not too much to update on my situation, btw. The landlord is not being very cooperative with the camera footage. She said they looked but did not see anything. I asked "How could you not see anything happen? One of the cameras is pointed directly at my bike, so there has to be something there! What did that camera show you?". She then hemmed and hawed a bit "umm, well, ok we are going to take a look at them again today...". Bottom line- she lied. They had not looked at them. They better figure out quick that I am not letting this go. She said she would call me today at work and never did.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
conspiracy said:
I'm pretty sure the LOJACK can be discovered inside a van while the thieves are still driving around. You really can't hide nothing in a bike unless you have a Goldwing....
Supposidly, LoJack certified shops must have trained installers and the customer is never informed as to where the transmitter has been placed.

The serice guys at the local Kawai/Honda dealer are real straight shooters and this is how they explained it to me.

So, in theory each model of bike has an area that the transmitter is placed and I believe the only way to find it is to trace from the battery... AND the until stays powered for something like an additional 24 hours after it's disconnected.

It sounds crafty enough. I'd just rather have stickers to prevent the whole mess.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I am a certified Lo-jack installer and they are correct! I had to pass a background check to become certified. Lo-jack definately does what it advertises! To my knowledge all police cruisers have the equipment to locate lo-jack transmitters. Our lo-jack rep informed us of a bust here in Vegas where they not only found the lo-jack bike, but numerous other stolen bikes. The transmitter is hidden extremely well and the owner is not told where it is. All wires are soldered so it will look like factory equipment if the owner or thief finds it. Its pricey but worth it, in my opinion!

P.S. they wouldn't sell many lo-jack units if you could just put a sticker on your bike. I doubt ADT sells their signs separately.

·
Registered
696 Posts
WTtoolman said:
I am a certified Lo-jack installer and they are correct! I had to pass a background check to become certified. Lo-jack definately does what it advertises! To my knowledge all police cruisers have the equipment to locate lo-jack transmitters. Our lo-jack rep informed us of a bust here in Vegas where they not only found the lo-jack bike, but numerous other stolen bikes. The transmitter is hidden extremely well and the owner is not told where it is. All wires are soldered so it will look like factory equipment if the owner or thief finds it. Its pricey but worth it, in my opinion!

P.S. they wouldn't sell many lo-jack units if you could just put a sticker on your bike. I doubt ADT sells their signs separately.
So, what am I lookin at for one of these things dude? And, although I know you work for them and told this great story, what are the pitfalls? Be honest with me. I know that nothing is perfect against these a$$holes, but hell, I don't need this crap anymore and I don't want to spend a lot of dough just to eat dirt again. Really, the most appealing part of Lojak that I can see would be that I might get someone arrested. I would LOVE that. But it can't have a 100% success rate.

·
Registered
764 Posts
sonnyboy11 said:
So, what am I lookin at for one of these things dude? And, although I know you work for them and told this great story, what are the pitfalls? Be honest with me. I know that nothing is perfect against these a$$holes, but hell, I don't need this crap anymore and I don't want to spend a lot of dough just to eat dirt again. Really, the most appealing part of Lojak that I can see would be that I might get someone arrested. I would LOVE that. But it can't have a 100% success rate.
The pitfalls as I seem them are as follows:

1) Time. The longer it takes for you to notice your bike has been stolen the greater likelihood that the bike may have already been torn down and the parts scattered around.

2) RF reception. There could be situations/circumstances where the RF signal from the LoJack box might be blocked or weakened. This could impede recovery of the bike.

But to me these are minor or not likely to really be a factor.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts