Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Does not drive into smoke
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a specific type of sealant that the service manual recommends for a 04-05: "Kawasaki Bond 56019-120". Is there anything special about that particular sealant? Can I use another one? If so, what properties does the replacement need to have?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
liquid sealer

gasketcinch sealer, at many shops around here. tack dry, contact gasket sealer. provides a total oil and water seal. use with gasket or for gasket. used it 30 years. none better.

·
Supercharged Mod
4,388 Posts
I've used the Permatex black gasket sealant, and have not had any trouble with it. Just don't use too much, you don't want blobs of that stuff floating loose inside the engine. It takes a VERY thin bead to squish out and make a good seal.

Whatever you use, needs to be resistant to oil, fuel, etc after it cures.

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
If the joint calls for kawabond, then use it, or yamabond is the same stuff, do not use a silicon or RTV sealer , the "bond" series of sealers are like an adhesive glue rather than a filler substance and is super thin when it is compressed, this is why it is used on crankcase halves so as not to interfere with bearing tolerances.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
If the joint calls for kawabond, then use it, or yamabond is the same stuff, do not use a silicon or RTV sealer , the "bond" series of sealers are like an adhesive glue rather than a filler substance and is super thin when it is compressed, this is why it is used on crankcase halves so as not to interfere with bearing tolerances.
:+1: I picked up a tube at the local dealership and the price wasn't that bad....not when it comes to piece of mind and making sure it's done correctly limiting the chances you'll have to take it apart to redo it. I'm sure other bonds out there work as well but I'd rather not take the chance. Just my .02.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts