Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
Ha ha

Good read, kinda skimmed threw it!! Just watch out there might be a member that may say this isn't valid due to the copy right of it only says 2007 :spit:

Had that happen once....:thefinger

·
aka kwakrider
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
working url please :dontknow:
on yahoo i serched........motorcycle break in flux oil............search---//// srole down to (second one on my page)Oils;oil filters;oil filter canisters,for bmw airhead.....clik on ....bout half way down the read you will see the first http// I gave you.this is an 18 page read ,pages 13-15 are directed for motorcycles.

·
aka kwakrider
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
choosing an oil for your motorcycle

There are a few special problem areas for motorcycle oil. most motorcycles have wet clutches,which means the oil runs through the clutch if the motor oil has too many molybdenum in it, there are fears that the clutch can start slipping. No one I know has acually had this happen to them ,but the warnings are all over your owners manual and the oil companies web pages. On the back of all oil containers is a circular stamp with the certifications. Avoid all oils that say "energy conserving" in the bottom half of the dounut. these oils contian friction modifier additives tha could cause clutch slipping over time. Essentially all 0w-20, 5w-30 and 10w-30 oils are energy conserving,and should not be used in your motorcycle. Most motorcycles run the engine oil through the transmission, and the trasmission gears are very hard on the oils VII package. this means over a couple thousand miles, the oils viscosity can break down. Standard car oils are only good for typically 1500 before they lost about half of thier viscosity. Remember, 10w-40 oils should be avoided.you cant use the 10w-30 because of the friction modifiers. this doesnt leave much. commercial 15w-40 oils are a good choice, becausethey have relatively few VIIs which are the more shear-stable sort.Synthetics typically dont contain much of a VII package, so shear is not as big an issue with them. There are several key advantages to using synthetic oils: Synthetic oils have a higher viscosity index than mineral based oils. Synthetics have better resistance to thinning at high temp and thickening at low temp. Since synthetics have little or no VIIs,synthetics last longer in service without radical changes in viscosity. synthetics have a much higher film strenght than reg oil, so it takes longer for the oil to drain off your bearings into your sump. Diester synthetics are polar molecules with solvent properties which dissolve residues and combustion byproducts.:eyecrazy: VII=(molecules in oil to add viscosity).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts