Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in need of a new battery and was thinking about going with one of the light ones. Which ones are you guys using? Recommendations, concerns, pros, cons, charging issues.

·
Registered
481 Posts
:+1: on the shorai lithium batteries.

·
Chairman of the Board
16,097 Posts
:+2: on the Shorai Lithium. Mine has been fantastic and so light I actually thought they had sent me a display model by mistake. Shoot Mike at Riders Discount a pm. He will hook you up. Just a suggestion but I also had Mike send me the Battery Tender Jr for the Lithium ion batteries since they suggest a different charger than a standard battery. Its inexpensive preventative maintenance for the battery.

·
The Pace
7,164 Posts
yes to above BUT buy their charger and use it. Comes with adapter to battery which runs to the tail compartment with plug to link to the charger.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
If I was you you have 4 positive Shorai feedbacks that is actual honest and factual!pretty good reason especially when we don't own the company or make a $ for our battery manufacture views!sometimes the more you google the more confused you become and that's from someone who does do the same

·
Registered
94 Posts
Make that 5 positive with mine in the CBR1KRR going 7 years strong with no maintenance or charging. Have a new one in the ZX10R Gen 4 now as part of the Winter work. ))

·
Registered
197 Posts
I bought the EarthX battery. Mostly because of the added protection it has vs the normal lithium batteries. You pay more and they weigh just a hair more than the other lithium batteries, but I'm ok with that.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Thanks guys. Any fitment issues with the Shorai? My bike is an ABS model.
should not be a fitment issue.. just make sure you get the right battery for your year and make. Usually direct replacement. Sometimes they are smaller but usually come with little foam pieces to make it fit snug.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Make sure you take belkins advice because there is a difference with ABS and without!and I no this from experience when I purchased mine!the battery terminal polarity was opposite so in short!the positive lead needed a little adjustment to reach the positive terminal

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have two 4th gens with shorai's in them.no problemns! The battery will come with foam blocks for shimming the hold down area because it is physically smaller.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was warned off of a Lithium batteries. Mike Wheeler said their race team was having problems and could not figure it out until they replaced the Li battery with a stock one. And there problems were all gone. They tried a couple different Li batteries with the same results. I was bummed.

I am glad others have been successful with the LI. I have had a Ballistic in my RC51 since 2010. I guess I will be trying one in the Gen4 also.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I had and will be putting another ballistic battery in my gen 4.

I didn't have a charger on it 2 winters ago and last spring it started the bike up just fine from what I remember and the few times I rode it around. I only rode it a few short times then tried flashing a buddies ECU and after sitting all winter and having issues with my laptop the battery eventually just kind of took a shit. I could still push start the bike and once it was running it'd start again no problem but didn't have enough juice to start it in the morning.

They hooked me up with a good discount code though for a new one and got a charger with my new battery. hope to have years of trouble free now that I have a lithium charger.

My stock Gen 4 battery weighed in at 4lbs 9.12oz, my ballistics weighed in at 1lb 12.5oz

·
Registered
578 Posts
+1 for Ballistic, good product, great customer service, and support. have them in both race bikes, going to order one as a back up for the 2 gen 4's we have with stock batteries, for the inevitable. already have their new charger/balancer, it is a no brainer. Ski

·
Registered
771 Posts
I'm REALLY happy with my Shorai. It's so light I thought they sent me an empty box! If my bike has been sitting for over 2 weeks I'll put it on my conventional battery tender (1 AMP with NO desulphation mode) and it's already topped up within a few hours.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts