Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do anyone here know which tires is the lightest?
I run Michelin Power Cup 190/55 and i've heard it suppose to be a light tire.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I always heard Michelin are the lightest. can't find any weights on the web though.. little surprising when they say there lighter but don't quantify it..

·
Registered
1,868 Posts

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Do anyone here know which tires is the lightest?
I run Michelin Power Cup 190/55 and i've heard it suppose to be a light tire.
Going from Pirellie Corsa III to the 2CT I could tell the Michelin was a lighter tire. However, the Corsa III soaked up rough roads better and felt better under braking than the 2ct.

The 2ct does feel better in corners.

My favorite is the Bridgestone S20R! Sturdy like the Corsa III and the lean angle grip of the 2CT!

Next season I'm getting another set of the S20R's!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Hate to break it to you but when I was getting my bst installed I weighed the 2ct and the rossa corsa and the rossa was 1.2 lb lighter for the front tire and the difference between the two for the rear tire produces similar results . The rossa corsa are much lighter trust me

·
Squid wannabe
6,073 Posts
Hate to break it to you but when I was getting my bst installed I weighed the 2ct and the rossa corsa and the rossa was 1.2 lb lighter for the front tire and the difference between the two for the rear tire produces similar results . The rossa corsa are much lighter trust me
Were they both brand new?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The regular power 2ct isn't known to be very light, but the pures is.
The power cup rear is supposed to be 3lbs lighter than the power one, but i don't know how it compares to other brands...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi,
a few years ago when I was racing I pondered this and spoke with some race setup guys and Pirelli slicks & race tyres were lighter, I did some direct weighing between my preferred Dunlop GP super stock tyres and michelin & Pirelli equivalents, Pirelli were lighter, and as such favoured for certain race circuits and venues, No point saving lbs with a super light race wheel then sticking in the heaviest tyre available !
Very good question which most people don't even consider, Brake rotors also can vary quite a bit, it can all add up if you are struggling with turn in etc.
I'd be interested to see some weights on current model tyres.

·
Squid wannabe
6,073 Posts
I believe the weight is 17R 14F, The biggest weight advantage has got to be for the lightweight rims. The rotational mass is huge!
Yup, the tire is even more important than the rim, since its weight is farther from the center of rotation, the moment of inertia is bigger.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I believe the power pure was the lightest dot tire ever produced but results weren't very favorable

·
Registered
121 Posts
I emailed Michelin last year asking about the weight of their tires. Their response is below.

Thank you for your interest in Michelin tires. A 190/50ZR17 Power Pure weighs 12.39 lbs and a 190/50ZR17 Pilot Power 2CT weighs 12.81 lbs.
We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Michelin.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All data out there is for old tires, the pures ain't in production anymore.

What about dunlop d211-212, michelin power cup, pirellie sc0 sc1 sc2, metzeler k-series an so on..?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I forgot that tire test:icon_wink:

Pirelli SC have the lightest front and the power cup have the lightest rear(190)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Anything that uses more aramid than steel in the carcass should feel lighter because there is less rotating mass, hence gyro affecting turn-in.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Has anyone got any feedback on the sc2 tires on a gen 2? How do those tires hold up on rougher roads? Average life span with top speed runs, commuting?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have experience mostly of the supercorsa v2 sc1 on a gen 1. Absolutly freaking awesome tyres that build heat fast and gets supersticky giving you tons of confidence. Regarding to your question of milage mine lasts aprox 3000-3200 km rear and that is weekend blasts with carving and high speed runs. The sc2 should wear even better so expect more milage. Follow pirellis inflation recomendations for track use on the street around 1.55-1.6 bar rear cold is what i have found works best. Go get yourself a set :thumbsup:

Has anyone got any feedback on the sc2 tires on a gen 2? How do those tires hold up on rougher roads? Average life span with top speed runs, commuting?

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
I wonder what the q3's weigh, gotta be super light with all that carbon fiber in em ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts