Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How are you guys lifting the bike to check and adjust the steering stem play?

·
MIdlife PIMP
3,459 Posts
with a pit-bull front stand.

BD
:+1:...the only way to do it!.......makes working on the front end a breeze!.......better than a reg fork stand by a mile!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Doesn't that load the bearing so you can't feel any play? I put the bike on a rear paddock stand, put a trolley jack under the collector and raise it so the wheel is about an inch off the floor, pull the front axle forward and backwards and feel for movement at the stem.

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
remove the lowers and raise the bike via car jack under the headers. yea i know people may bash for this but those puppies are ti, relax. if its only short term than youre all good. thats how i dropped my front end down 1.5 inches when i lowered the forks through the triple.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Doesn't that load the bearing so you can't feel any play? I put the bike on a rear paddock stand, put a trolley jack under the collector and raise it so the wheel is about an inch off the floor, pull the front axle forward and backwards and feel for movement at the stem.
:+1:

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
remove the lowers and raise the bike via car jack under the headers. yea i know people may bash for this but those puppies are ti, relax. if its only short term than youre all good. thats how i dropped my front end down 1.5 inches when i lowered the forks through the triple.
Yikes!!! that does sound kinda scary but I have to machine ti and know it has strong charactaristics,I guess that is what Doug is talking about when he says locate under the collector.THANKS GUYS I HAVE THAT CLUNK SOUND WHEN I PULL UP IN THE GARAGE!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
no sir it doesn't as the pin is inserted into the hole at the bottom of steering stem which is pressed into the bottom triple and therefor secured. The pin/stand doesn't hinder its ability to turn in either direction.

BD

·
Registered
157 Posts
no sir it doesn't as the pin is inserted into the hole at the bottom of steering stem which is pressed into the bottom triple and therefor secured. The pin/stand doesn't hinder its ability to turn in either direction.

BD
It doesn't hinder it turning but it does load the bearings since you have the weight of the bike on the lower triple now and hence the steering stem still. To be able to check for steering stem free play, you need to have no weight on the bearings except that of the front suspension by itself. The only way to do that is to use a bottle jack or floor jack under the headers.

Unless you get fancy and fab up a lifting system similar to what some of the AMA teams use that lifts the bike via a tube bolted to the engine block under the exhaust ports and a custom made lift that inserts into said tube.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
mmmm free play can be determined with this stand.

As i already said the stem (with its flared bottom)is 'pressed' into the bottom triple therefor minimizing bearing load.

BD

·
Registered
157 Posts
I think we might have to agree to disagree on this one BD. If you were to do a side by side comparison, one bike on a stand and one that is supported by a floor jack, you would see the difference immediately. It can be done with the stand but your results will not be as accurate as with a floor jack and you might miss something when checking the free play. You might have the free turning movement but you will not have the free front to back movement that you are looking for when checking for free play because the steering head bearings still have the weight of the bike on them. That front to back movement is what you are looking for when checking free play and trying to eliminate that.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
I have performed steering head bearing adjustments with this stand and it allows front to back play hence why i was able to adjust/tighten them.

I've also used the floor jack method for something other than a bearing adjustment so yes the entire frontend will rotate easily this way as well.

BD

·
Registered
199 Posts
IF you feel play its waay to loose. Even if you dont feel it by hand pulling the tubes back and forth it could still be to loose. Torque it to spec or just tighten it until you get a sharp rise in torque and call it a day

1 - 13 of 13 Posts