Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So 3 weeks ago I totaled my bike..(2011 ZX10r) Long story short its gone. I managed to snag a few go fast parts off of it before insurance had it whisked away. Fast forward to yesterday. I picked up a 2012 for which I thought was a stellar price. 13,000 OTD I trailered it home from the dealership and installed my M4 Exhaust, Vortex rear sets, Mirror block offs, and New custom led tail light. So I have always been a fan of breaking bikes in hard, but this time I decided to do it the "Kawi way". So trying to stay out of the red was proving difficult especially when you are riding with a bunch of other guys.I was getting left behind really bad so I rolled on it hard in 2nd gear got the revs up close to 12,000 and I shed a small tear. THIS BIKE IS SO FUCKING SLOW WITHOUT THE FLASH. That was the only piece of hardware I was unable to keep and clearly the most valuable. I now have 150 or so miles on the bike but I don't really want to ride it at all. I still have my quick shifter,PCV, and air filter to put back on. Even with these items it will still be lacking so much. After riding a Gen 4 for 12,000 or so miles with a flash it is unbearable to ride one with a standard tune. I basically said all of this to say if you have a Gen. 4 and you don't have it flashed you are not getting your monies worth. Get the flash if you are not completely satisfied I will give you a refund. (I am not affiliated with any of the companies that sell flashes) This bike is only really good because it is light and it makes a lot of power with the flash./ Rant

·
Registered
507 Posts
There's definitely a night and day difference with the ECU flash. I'd recommend it as a mandatory mod for the Gen4 regardless of what type of riding you do.

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
Interesting. I just got my 2011 ABS two weeks ago. I have been reading up on the flash a bit but still have questions. I honestly don't know much about it... I thought the flash was affecting the bike only in the 10k+ RPM range and extending the rev limiter 500rpm :dontknow:

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting. I just got my 2011 ABS two weeks ago. I have been reading up on the flash a bit but still have questions. I honestly don't know much about it... I thought the flash was affecting the bike only in the 10k+ RPM range and extending the rev limiter 500rpm :dontknow:
It increases the mid range between 5-8 it opens the butterfly valves earlier and keeps them open longer. If you are anywhere close to a fence go ahead jump over it. My ecu is coming out today with 157 miles on my bike and being overnighted to GUHL.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Well, pretty much what I thought too. When I seen dyno comparisons it reminded me of the ZX-6R with the jumper mod. Sure you gain 10 horsepower with it, but it's all up top and only due to emissions/sound regulations. You don't actually "gain" any power, it's just not cutting it off near redline. Garth has charts on here somewhere. For me, it would almost be useless because I RARELY ever take my bike above 9-10K, I don't see the need. Regardless, I'd still get the flash.

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
It increases the mid range between 5-8 it opens the butterfly valves earlier and keeps them open longer. If you are anywhere close to a fence go ahead jump over it. My ecu is coming out today with 157 miles on my bike and being overnighted to GUHL.
Yea, I wanted to wait till I decide what exhaust I want till I send off the ECU.
It was my understanding that Guhl can tune according to your exhaust set-up.
How does that work? What if I buy a pipe that he has never done a tune for?

·
Registered
596 Posts
It's not just up top that the flash improves performance on the gen 4. Other things these companies can do are: Remove timing retards in lower gears,
raise rev limiter 500 rpm or more, raise the speed limiter, recurve the timing maps, retrim fuel curves based on mods for better performance, and remove the decel fuel cut. Removing the DFCO makes on and off throttle transition smoother. And of course make the secondary flies open sooner. It is a night and day difference with the flash.

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
I can't believe people still have questions about the flash at this point. There are countless dyno comparisons, threads, posts, qtr mile times, top speed runs etc.
There IS a BIG midrange increase in HP/TQ with the flash. Where did you read there isn't? Wasn't this site. Timing is increased, secondaries opened sooner and faster all of which increase hp/tq sooner in the power band.
Please do MORE reading about the Flash from Guhl. Sounds like you guys haven't done any so far.

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
I can't believe people still have questions about the flash at this point.

Please do MORE reading about the Flash from Guhl. Sounds like you guys haven't done any so far.
Yea, I can't believe it either :jerkit:

I started posting here again just a few months ago and haven't been doing too much reading on the Gen4. As I stated earlier, I bought a Gen4 two weeks ago. I'm doing the research as I go. The flash hasn't been at the top of my list but it's starting to get there, so sorry for asking ECU questions....:heyyou:

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Yea, I can't believe it either :jerkit:

I started posting here again just a few months ago and haven't been doing too much reading on the Gen4. As I stated earlier, I bought a Gen4 two weeks ago. I'm doing the research as I go. The flash hasn't been at the top of my list but it's starting to get there, so sorry for asking ECU questions....:heyyou:
Here ya go. According to this it does seem to be gained up top. Either way though ya almost have to do it for $400...

http://dragbikelive.com/news/8073/hot-off-the-press/first-test-2011-kawasaki-zx10r-euro-ecu-vs-american-ecu-dyno-results/

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
I read the article den 33 linked and it contains a few inaccuracies, the biggest one being that you can purchase a ecu for $395. The reflash, maybe. The chart in this link shows the gain in midrange:

http://www.dragbike.com/dbnews/templates/fast1320_z3.aspx?articleid=6591&zoneid=3

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
Yea, I think it was just confusing how he said it.

“This is the comparison between the Euro spec(which is flashed by Guhl motorsports) and the American restricted ECU. Oh and yes these ECU’s can be bought by anyone for $395.00 USD.”
But then he says this....

With a 24 horsepower gain with just a re flashed engine control unit that cost only $395.00 dollars,this is what many will consider money very well spent!
Pretty sure he means $395 for the reflash when you supply the ECU.

Anyways, the link for dragbike.com had some good info, thanks :ayyy:

·
Registered
200 Posts
My friend and I both ride 2011 zx10R's. His is stock except for +2 rear sprocket. I have the flash, Leo link & slip-on and +2 on the rear. We switch bikes back and forth when we go riding together and under 10k they feel similar except my bike feels maybe 4 - 5 hp stronger plus mine is much smoother with on/off throttle because of the decel fuel cut. BUT when we roll it on and my bike hits 10k it runs away from his bike. You can feel his bike going flat over 10k but with the flash it just keeps getting stronger and doesn't stop till it hits the rev limiter. Also FYI with the flash my bike gets better gas mileage then his when commuting to work...

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well my bike will be back to how it should be on Thursday! Thanks to Don Guhl. Everyone should jump on board the FLASH train.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Well, pretty much what I thought too. When I seen dyno comparisons it reminded me of the ZX-6R with the jumper mod. Sure you gain 10 horsepower with it, but it's all up top and only due to emissions/sound regulations. You don't actually "gain" any power, it's just not cutting it off near redline. Garth has charts on here somewhere. For me, it would almost be useless because I RARELY ever take my bike above 9-10K, I don't see the need. Regardless, I'd still get the flash.
What year is your 6r? If 09/10, any diffferent on the dead/surge zone around 11k after the ECU flash? don't mean to go off topic, please respond in pm. Thx.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
The 2012 green looks really good! If I was in the financial position to get one I would. I think I would get the flash done before I brought the bike home:mrgreen:

That said, I ride with a lot of guys with modded bikes and I can say with CONFIDENCE!!!! It all comes down to rider when there is about 13 hp seperating the bikes. I'm only 5 10 170 so the bike hauls ass with me on it. Once I get tucked it's OVER!!! Bike turns into a missel with wheels!!!

For the GEN IV it's not just power. I keep hearing how smooth, fast and how the bike handles great.

MY 08 GEN III is bone stock with 37,400 miles and the bike absolutely rips!!!

As long as I can see B89 every so often I'm good!

Still would love to bump up to a Flashed 2012 Green GEN IV!!!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
These bikes have terrible rear shocks and the geometry is pretty far off from the factory. The gen 3 is better setup out the box geometry wise. I can't comment on the factory suspension.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I just had the first service done on my bike and on the way home I decided to see what it had. So from a slow turn onto the street I twisted it to full throttle and it seemed like I wasn't accelerating at all. I looked down to make sure I was in first gear and to see if the traction control was kicking in. It was in first and the traction control wasnt kicking in. It was just weak/slugish then it hit 5k rpm's and took off like a liter bike should. I've searched on here and seen where the older zx10rs have this issue but I havent seen anything about the 2012's. Is this normal for these bikes? Will a Guhl flash fix this or do I also need to drop a tooth on the front sproket?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A Guhl flash will HELP that. I personally think the sprockets are fine with the power mine makes. Its still a handfull with factory sprockets, flash, exhaust, etc. Try the flash then see if you need sprockets. Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts