Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
pretty good for an 8 year old topic and its still relevant, my 07 zx-10r has 55000 km on it and just dynoed 165 mph/161 rear wheel hp

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm @39,000 miles on my '04, and she runs like a clock.

Sorry, but what is the link between failing alternator and engine swap. Can you provide some facts?
REWEKAWO <> The OP is saying that when the alternator fails it typically explodes; sending fragments through the motor; ultimately destroying it; and thus, left requiring an engine swap.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Running strong at 34,500 miles

I have an 05 with 34,500 miles. I put in around 2k a year, so not a frequent rider; but I do take care of the bike and always store it in garage when not riding.

Nothing wrong with my engine, but I'm seeing age issues though. Mainly around wiring, i'm seeing that the wires are starting to rot out due to heat and sun (I'm in Colorado). Had to replace the tail signals/horn wiring/odometer cabling etc.

In addition, some of the fairing bushings start dry rotting - causing vibration in the fairings. Not the fault of the bike though - just something to be aware of when you have an older bike. Other issue is that as the bike starts getting older, it's hard to get the parts for it. For example the other day my tail cowling broke (due to the constant vibration of the fairings I mentioned earlier); and I realized that it's not being manufactured anymore (technically backordered). So I ended up ordering it from ebay and will have to paint it myself.

So yes, the bikes will last forever but I think you have to be aware of these little things.

--- Jalpesh

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
I had 70,000 on my first gen in 4 years.

Have over 50,000 miles on my 4th gen and I ride the shit out of both.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts