Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just thought i'd ask. I have a first gen with 29k on the clock and was wondering how much life other riders have gotten out of their motors. I know it all depends on care and riding style but what is a good average?

·
Supercharged Mod
4,392 Posts
2004 or 2005? If yours doesn't suffer from premature alternator self-destruction, and you don't break it by doing something dumb, it'll probably go 150,000 - 200,000 km.

Mine is at 57,000 km and runs like new, and I'm just hoping the alternator holds out. I know of another local one that had around 80,000 km when the owner sold it (I don't know where it went after that). Older Guy sold his with much more than that on it.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WOW! this makes mee feel great. Even if I do have alternator issues its still better than an engine swap. O and its an 05. I believe the alt issue was corrected. I could be wrong. Keep em coming guys.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
How about gen 2? The gen supposedly dosnt have any real issues, so maybe 150,000 miles?

or would u still expect 100,000 miles?

·
Registered
445 Posts
I think dropping a valve is another issue I have read about but IMO these bikes will last for quite a while under moderate use, heavy modding and use on a race track will take a lot of longevity away but hey thats what they are made for!

·
Supercharged Mod
4,392 Posts
2005 model has a redesign in the alternator which fixed the problem. You are good to go. If you don't break it, it'll probably last as long as you want to keep the bike.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I may be selling my bikes short, but I only aspire to get 50k out of each of them... at that point I will gladly retire/sell or move on from them.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
I may be selling my bikes short, but I only aspire to get 50k out of each of them... at that point I will gladly retire/sell or move on from them.
Interesting, since 2002 I keep my bike for about three years then sell and trade up 02 ZX6R 05 636R 08ZX10... But I have a funny feeling I am gonna have this bike for a long time. I have no desire to go faster than 184MPH.

I'm at 20K and the bike is just a pure beast!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah, all the later bikes are very close in performance, its almost like splittin hairs. And besides I hate payments. Looks like im gonna hold on to my 05 for quite some time. And now she is looking great thanx to green10. Thanx again Bob

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
This brings up an idea I had that probably you guys could answer. I've though of in the past building a race motor stronger parts and all and running it detuned for longevity. Aside from actual cost would I benefit from that or should I just stick to the crack pipe?

·
Registered
458 Posts
My 04 has over 40,000 miles on it ,friggin battery lasted over 4yrs, 30,000 mile service dynoed at 165 to the rear wheels ,bike is awesome..........:eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This brings up an idea I had that probably you guys could answer. I've though of in the past building a race motor stronger parts and all and running it detuned for longevity. Aside from actual cost would I benefit from that or should I just stick to the crack pipe?
well if the stocker runs for over 100k I honestly dont see the point. just my $.02

Keep the milage coming guys

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
I saw this guys 1999 R1 that had 150,000 mikes on it! and he said it still ran hard! so I would say a long time!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts