Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I relocated my license plate after removing the mud flap/fender. I re-used the plate bracket off of the stock assembly and relocated it under the tail.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
(1) Remove the passenger seat/cowl, plastic separator, and driver's seat from the bike.

(2) From under the driver's seat, lift up on the little doo-hickey mounted on the tab outlined in blue. Just lift straight up.

(3) From under the driver's seat, lift up the big honking box right behind the battery (don't know what it's called) Lift straight up to remove it from the 2 tabs outlined in red. This will expose the under tray.

(4) Mark and drill holes for the plate bracket. The bolts are shown mounted outlined in Green. These are the same bolts that held the plate bracket to the mud flap. A 3/8 inch bit should work fine.

*You'll need the change the orientation of the bracket 180 degrees when you attach to the bottom of the bike. Play with the orientation of the plate and bracket before you attach. It will make sense once you do this.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
thats basically the same setup I have on my bike.

The cleanest and easiest by far.

I have just one more feature that I like.

I have a 4" white neon bulb mounted directly over the plate.

It gives the white light the Law needs to see but the light compleatly WASHES out the plate.

You cannot read it for shit under the white neon.

I love it and recommend it highly to everyone, unless you dont care about that stuff.

Personally I rarely stop when I am on the bike, if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
11,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info Crispin. I'm still toying with the light ideas. I saw different neon bulbs at Pep Boys. Nothing there got me excited.

·
Registered
178 Posts
jeech said:
(5) Attach the plate and put the bike back together. You're done.
Warning for California folks... That's EXACTLY the same setup I used (I also added the Watsen Design 2 LED light) and loved for about 3 weeks - that's as long it took me to be pulled over by a Chippie who kindly took my name and said I should fix that.

As discussed on a different thread, while technically it may be legal, I don't want to attract cops' attention more than necessary and you usually don't win debates with them.

:cool:

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Apparently new law has been passes over here in South Africa, that any bike that hasn't got a legal license plate or any rider that hasn't got proof of licence. The bike will be impounded!

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
We have a anti hoon law here were either bike or car can be impounded for 48 hrs for the 1st offence, but thats for things like burnouts, mono's, exceeding the speed limit by 45kph or more, oh i would think the same would apply here for no plates or illegal plates.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Problem is, people go from all over the country to two little towns called Sabie and Graskop to ride their bikes! This includes dedicated track riders, tracks schools and every other person that owns a bike! Now, when the traffic department starts to interfere, these two little towns will loose a huge amount of their income, as they are only tourist destinations! This will really hurt them, as the number of bikes are already declining

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Looks like the cops are going to step it up with tougher enforcement over there, remember reading from somewhere that you could pretty much get away with a fair bit over there.

·
Registered
11,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's still pretty backwards in Georgia. I haven't heard of anyone I know getting pulled over for an equipment ticket, i.e. license location, fender eliminators, etc. Now if you get caught for doing something really stupid, they'll lay everything they can on you.

I've got friends that are cops that ride. They're opinion is still that they won't give another rider a ticket unless they're doing something stupid or being an ass. Don't know about other cops that don't ride though.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Anyone in IL try this setup and get any grief from the po po?
I was thinking about doing something similar to my 10.
Smiley

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
jeech said:
I haven't heard of anyone I know getting pulled over for an equipment ticket, i.e. license location, fender eliminators, etc. Now if you get caught for doing something really stupid, they'll lay everything they can on you..
:+1: I know guys that ride with no plate. Never even heard of anyone being pulled for it. But just be in the proximity of a cop that's PO'd b/c of a biker, you're gonna get writen for everything.

·
Registered
484 Posts
The fender elim. is ok but you must have a working licence plate light at nite.Plate on the end of a swingarm is a cop magnete.He will nail your ass in some states.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts