Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Where'd the boobs go?
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Open thread for information on getting good launches from the grid. Strip or track doesn't matter lets hear how you get your launch and don't mention electronic launch control...

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Lay on the tank and let her rip, strip of course

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
Launching, on my 09 10=8900-9100 rpms, play with clutch control and call it a day and see that tail light fly away!!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Well i had 6 races at big willow before i crashed and had to go into semi (need cash to continue)retirement.
In all my races (all 6 of them talk about a long career) i was able to go from either a 16th place grid start position or 18th place grid start and launch into somewhere around 4th to 6th position i think the key to a good launch is knowing your starters flag routine if you ask him before a race what his start procedure is he will usually tell you so knowing that for me was half the battle. Secondly is my clutch release i try to smooth the rpms up as the starter gets into his first position this way the whole procedure of the launch is like a fluid motion after the launch its all about not worrying about what the other guys are doing, "get the hell out of my way" thats my mind set at flag drop. You can be track polite after the first corner but not before.
Thats my two cents hope it helps someone out
thanks

·
Where'd the boobs go?
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well i had 6 races at big willow before i crashed and had to go into semi (need cash to continue)retirement.
In all my races (all 6 of them talk about a long career) i was able to go from either a 16th place grid start position or 18th place grid start and launch into somewhere around 4th to 6th position i think the key to a good launch is knowing your starters flag routine if you ask him before a race what his start procedure is he will usually tell you so knowing that for me was half the battle. Secondly is my clutch release i try to smooth the rpms up as the starter gets into his first position this way the whole procedure of the launch is like a fluid motion after the launch its all about not worrying about what the other guys are doing, "get the hell out of my way" thats my mind set at flag drop. You can be track polite after the first corner but not before.
Thats my two cents hope it helps someone out
thanks

Thanks very helpful. I will keep that in mind when I do some racing to ask the starters flag routine if possible. Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
im not the best launcher but if ur takin off and u aint breakin that tire loose just a tad bit, you aint doing somthing right.

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
Sorry to say man, breaking your tire loose is the last thing you want to do!! But I get where your going there...

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
RPM'S high 8's and on go, lean forward over the tank and fade the clutch out, only applying enough power to have the front wheel a few inches off the ground at most (you dont want to pop a wheelie in the middle of your race/launch and have to let off to drop it). But if your front end does come up more than you want it to...slip the clutch a little more instead of chopping the throttle. This has worked for me anyways.

·
Registered
302 Posts
RPM'S high 8's and on go, lean forward over the tank and fade the clutch out, only applying enough power to have the front wheel a few inches off the ground at most (you dont want to pop a wheelie in the middle of your race/launch and have to let off to drop it). But if your front end does come up more than you want it to...slip the clutch a little more instead of chopping the throttle. This has worked for me anyways.
if I hit 8, rpms the front end will be at 11 o'clock. I suc at it.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
How many launches do you get out of your clutch plates? Mine were fried after two race weekends launching at 8-9k. I replaced them and now I launch at 5-6k and have been going all season on them.
I only get that aggressive when its a must win situation, and I need to guarantee the holeshot. When I do it, I ALWAYS win :thumbsup:

I raced a buddy on his Triumph 675 and from the start I didnt rev high enough, and just about stalled it, but saved it then ran after him, well he got a good 50-75' jump on me and I had to run him down and pass him. I told him what happened, but he didnt believe me, and the next day I was hearing from a whole bunch of mutual riding buddies that he kicked my ass, and that his Triumph was so much faster than the ZX10R blah blah blah blah

So I didnt say anything, and the next time we were out I said, hey lets do that again. I did my aggressive launch and I left the line like a raped ape and pulled away like he was going the other direction :thefinger

When we stopped, I said lets do it again (just to kill all excuses he may have), same result:lol:

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
How many launches do you get out of your clutch plates? Mine were fried after two race weekends launching at 8-9k. I replaced them and now I launch at 5-6k and have been going all season on them.
I have 200 launches on my ZX10 that range anywhere from 6000rpm (when I was a noob) to 9200 and they're still going strong.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hit the drag strip & practice . . .

They have clocks there !

Just try it out brotha'

Red, *<:){)-

1 - 20 of 24 Posts