Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This topic really got me thinking the other day. I am wondering if this varies due to where we live but here MX is HUGE compared to street. I am from Canada and I am curious if it is the same in the states/europe etc.

Let me elaborate:I have friends that compete in MX and there are hundreds of events every season and a few of them have so many sponsors it is rediculas. They get everything for free basically as long as they are a good embassador of for say: Rockstar energy or Kawasaki etc. Here in Canada there is only ONE sanctioned event for Bike drags/Circuit etc.

I competed in the one near me 3 weeks or so...there was alot of bikes mind you but it doesnt even compare to the hundreds competing MX I see. There were VERY FEW sponsors at the bike drags compared to MX, they pretty much are hastling you to get them to ride for you if your decently good that is.

My buddies Nationals have also been aired on Cable TV and such and I have seen absolutely nothing local for our Bike drag/Circuit "Nationals" I guess we could call it even with the small market. My buddy placed 10th overall few months ago at the Monster Nationals (1st big event for him) and got many offers for sponsorship, I placed 4th in my street class (29 riders) and I got nothing.
:dontknow:

Im not complaining I just wish our sport was as big, It would be nice to have someone else paying for my broken shit rather than out of my own pocket all the time. So guys tell me generally why you think MX swallows the riding community and us street guys who like to go FAST get a fraction of the events/support from large companys:dontknow::dontknow:

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
One possible reason - Unlike drags, MX is also for kids (from kids to adults), and it's a good market for Rockstar & other energy drinks. More payola!

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
obviously here in southern CA MX is huge. id say where im at its about 50/50. I have always done both, but since selling my dirt bike i stick to the street. there are way more tracks around here for MX and they are really cheap to ride on, not to mention the dessert is huge out here.

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
I think mainly because it's cheaper to get into, you can ride MX in ALOT more places than street, it's more "famliy oriented" for alot of people......good question though. i started out on dirtbikes, never raced or anything like that but at age 10 had my first CR80 and it's been 2 wheels of some sort every since. i also think that alot of parents think it's safer for them and/or their children to ride MX as apposed to streetbikes. you can go almost anywhere and you'll see some or alot of people out on motocross bikes, in a field,local track,wherever....just seems like it's easier to get started on MX bikes maybe? and now with all the freestyle guys making it big....it's opened up alot of doors to people that might not be able to race and be competitive or even afford it. a dirttrack can be made anywhere there's ahhhhhhh dirt and fairly simple and straightforward in doing it, cost little to nothing for the average person who has a little land to get a backhow and tractor to make a track...BUT a racetrack for street bikes.......that's a while other can of worms and you're talking about a buttload of money just to even think about getting one started. sorry if i'm just rambling but of course it makes sense to me.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Dirtbikes are fun as shit too.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I suppose price is the most obvious advantage it has. And what TMY stated it is alot easier to set up tracks and bring alot of people in.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Not sure what part of Canada you live but here we can only ride street for probably 5 months of the year, moto can be raced indoors at stadiums year round. I also agree its cheaper and kids can get into it easier.

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Fun Factor , don't have to deal with the popo and traffic lights. If you crash most of the time you just get back on it.. Breathing fresh air is good also..not stock in the city.. Cost of racing is still expensive but fits more wallets! Best way to learn to ride is on dirt.. and kids nowadays start really young..

·
Registered
160 Posts
I guess cost is a major factor but also the fun you have on a dirt bike must play its part. Another thing i think is relevant is the actual danger of the thing. I cant remember anyone i knew actually dying or getting seriously hurt (although i'm sure it happens) on a dirt bike accident. On the other hand i've lost some people around me and others have been injured for life on street bikes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts