Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:thumbsup:

Hello guys, Im new here - but have been a 10R owner for some time. Ive been viewing much information on this website for some time although Ive just joined. I joined so I can help other experience the joy I now have - now that I have found great power from the 10R. I have read a much debated topic about the power of a slip on / and performance gains from PCIII usb's. I just wanted to put in my 2 cents and let you know the real truth. This actually backs up the report shown in the Sato slip on thread with the guy who has the Dan Kyle map with his PC III usb. I ordered the new M4 slip on exhaust after all I had read on this forum. Yesterday I rode the bike with the m4 and was impressed with the modest gains attained from it, however I was hesitant to put the power commander on the bike.. You ask why?? Because when I had bought the power commander originally (about 3 months ago) I had tried 3-4 different maps from the power commander web site with very poor results - the bike ran like crap!! I was beginning to seriously doubt all the hype about the advantages of the PCIII usb. But I thought "I'll give it one more shot. I finally found that many had raved about the Dan Kyle "sato-slip-on map" - so I downloaded it from the PC webpage and put the power commander back in my bike. (I had taken the PC completely out of the bike after having such bad luck with the original 3 pc maps). With the new Dan Kyle map with the M4 slipon this bike is completely transformed. Midrange is significantly stronger - the top is furious - it absolutely screams. The bike begins to pull noticeably stronger from the very bottom and the steam really starts pulling around 5grand instead of 7 grand and doesnt stop till it redlines. I'll say it again the bike never pulled like this when it was stock and didnt even pull like this with the slip on - only when the slip on was combined with "THE PROPER MAP" designed by a professional tuner did this bike transform from a fast bike to a ripping snorting furious angry beast. Over 9hspwer. on top - with 3-5 in the mid -with 2 ft/lbs torque = this is equal to what the sato post said in this forum...(he also had PCIII usb with dan kyle map).. So if you really want gains and a reliable slip on map - use a pcIII usb with dan kyle map and choose your slip on = very strong difference. I also ordered a -1 countershaft sprocket (which was not installed - its not even here till monday so no the sprocket didnt make the difference I experienced) to make the bike even more of a beast so for about $274 for the pipe (Pipe city) - $260 for the PCIII Usb with map loaded from Dan kyle (sato slip on map) and $30 for -1 countershaft sprocket you can transform your bike to a real 160 horsepower bike that behaves very much like the articles you read about in the magazine keep saying. 1-2-3 gear wheelies and thats for real - and yes before I did these upgrades 2nd gear wheelies were hard to get up - I had to do it just right - now not a problem - almost 2 easy no clutch at all just roll on and sit back or forward - third a little work but very scary at those speeds - but yes It will come up...I read so much argument about what PCIII's and sprockets and pipes will do - I just found out that without a good map the PCIII is garbage - but with a good map with a reputable pipe and a -1 sprocket = this ZX-10R feels like a superbike with 1200 miles on it.
Hope this helps some readers that want what I did but never got the right combination and are either left wanting or disappointed with the setup they have.

God bless,
Shannon
Green ZX-10R Florida

·
OG Post Whore
10,400 Posts
custom pretty much is the best cuz its for your bike not anyone elses

·
Registered
36 Posts
ya reckon this would work with a Yoshi RS-3 Race slip-on along side a BMC race filter??

or does anyone know of a good map for this set up??

regards

Martin

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
The sato Dan Kyle map is the best I've used and I can back Shanon up...I have been saying the PCIII USB is the best mod I have done to my 10r. Maybe better than the 16T sprocket...it is that damn good. I see no need to get a custom map after using this.

The partial throttle openings are where the true gains are felt. You almost cant get to full throttle openings because the bike revs so fast and you are shifting before you are at full throttle.

roadracer, I've never felt a need for a TRE and haven't noticed a real bad surge on my bike so I can't comment on this.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Wow!

that is a BIG paragraph.

I am not sure if you were for ror against the PC3 as my eyes got crossed about 1/2 way through your post

But for the record, I am very happy with my PC3, took me from 152 to 158 and made the bike 'hit' alot harder IMO

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Trickchop and Stunnerific - yes a custom map is ideal for a bike, but you need to find a reputable tuner who knows what he's doing - I've known of maps that were customed for a bike but werent done right -they still needed fidling, I just was very happy with the Dan Kyle free map as it compared with the original PC maps - and you cant much argue with 9.2 hspwr on top with 3-5 in the mid with 2ft/lbs torque - -it might not be custom but it sure is close.

Pimp - I think it will work just fine with a Yosh RS3 slip on - that was the pipe I was going to get - it was either the M4 which I did end up purchasing or the Yosh RS3 which is still a very good pipe. I dont have a BMC race filter on mine - but the map that Dan kyle offers supposedly is made for either stock filter or aftermarket filter - thats what I remember reading. Also it never hurts to try the map with your setup that's the great thing about PC3 usb's - if you dont like it - just put a different map on it - only takes a second. But yes - I think it will work fine cause yes there is a difference in flow between a BMC race and a stock air filter but not much - you probably noticed a slight difference between stock compared with the RS3 with BMC, but not a huge difference...BUT with the Dan kYle map and PC3 usb - trust me - it will be a different bike.. like my original post stated I rode my around with the M4 for a while and there was some power gains but nothing like with the PC3 with DK map. Just look at what BNninja wrote.

Roadracer- I did notice a subtle smoothness in throttle transition but it was coupled with such immense power that I wasnt really paying attention - I was trying to keep it from looping over on me...Ive done several track days with the 10R at Jenning GP raceway in FL - and yes the throttle transition in stock form needs addressing - this mod (PC3 usb w/ Dan Kyle map) does help.

BN ninja: yep I do agree with ya - this map with slip on setup is the best mod I made yet - -I dont have the 16t cs yet - does that also make a significant difference?? - and thanks for backing my post up - -they'll never know until they try it - and that's the reason for my post - I hope they do and find what I found = an extra 9 ponies ect. I am very pleased.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
throttle abruptness, I used the accel pump feature to address this, as has been discussed on this site.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I have used the DK map on my old bike. Great map, but I found that it could use some tweaking. The tuner that I use for my bikes has found the DK to be a great base to work off and to make some minor adjustments particular to my bikes needs (a/f mixture). I was able to pick up an additional 4whp off of the DK map by leaning the top end out a bit as the DK map was very rich on the top end. Now, I am not saying to go out to your PC3USB and start leaning the top end out to try and gain power, but this was the situation for my bike as indicated by the air/fuel readings.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
41 ants - was the DK map you leaned out for your 954 (sweet bikes by the way) or for your new 10r???? Just curious ....

Pimp -let me know when you load that map and how it turns out??? - I think you'll be impressed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
will do! just awaiting the PCIII to be delivered from one of your fellow countrymen!, should be here anyday now, i dont mind waiting the extra 3 or 4 days though if it saves me £150 from what i'd pay here in the UK!!:headshake

·
Registered
434 Posts
Shannon Sanders said:
41 ants - was the DK map you leaned out for your 954 (sweet bikes by the way) or for your new 10r???? Just curious ....

Pimp -let me know when you load that map and how it turns out??? - I think you'll be impressed.
Yup, it was for the 954. Many people on the old site that I used to go to (fireblades.org), found the same thing with the DK map. BTW, what have you folks found to be the optimal a/f ratio for the 10R

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I tried the Dan Kyle Sato slip on map and found the same results. The bike turned into
a tire shredding monster with effortless wheelies! The problem with my bike was an eratic idle which I first fixed by averaging the Arrow and kyle map with good results.
But...having nagging doubts about my voodoo map...I reloaded the Kyle map and fixed only the 0% throttle at 1k and 1250rpm. The Kyle map is the best map no doubt!
me now leevum alone..
Dan Kyle sent me his full race 10R map....anybody tried that one?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
BNninja said:
The sato Dan Kyle map is the best I've used and I can back Shanon up...I have been saying the PCIII USB is the best mod I have done to my 10r. Maybe better than the 16T sprocket...it is that damn good. I see no need to get a custom map after using this.

QUOTE]

yeah, yeah...
i have a dan kyle map as well(different pipe) and am very pleased...
i am equally happy that it was as easy as it is to load on the pcIII...
no custom map for me either, time for suspension...

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey guys - Its very nice to see such agreement among riders....I wish there was a post like this one when I was searching for a setup to bring a bit more power. Well that's the reason I started this one - -so the newbies (just like me) can get the most bang for their buck!!!

Austin 10R Powers- -how do I fix that eratic (stumble) idle deal - -do I set the 1000 all the way to 1250 rpm with a zero map. Is that what you were saying you did?? Do I just go in and enter zero's in those areas then save then download to the PC3 - Any Help is appreciated...

Hey guys Guess what - -I put the 16t countersprocket on today and I was laying all over the tank @ about 7grand and I just ripped the throttle and the bike spun the tire then tried to wheelie over on me - - - So now I have the M4-slip on the DK slip on map and the 16t countersprocket. Im very happy - -and I truly dont think Im gonna mess with it for sometime - - I'd have to spend mad money and time to get a significant amount more. Im very happy - -CAN ANYONE GET THE FRONT WHEEL OFF THE GROUND in 3rd gear EVEN A LITTLE WITH THIS TYPE SETUP WITHOUT THE CLUTCH??? Just curious about stories... Does anyone have any about it coming up in third under heavy power or snatching it - -I swear mine will do it when done right!!!

Peace guys - thanks

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Shannon: -20, -22, -15 are the zero throttle numbers for 1000, 1250 and 1500 rpm. Change those to -10, -11 and -8 save the map then send it to the PC.

This more than fixes the loping idle....could just be a Texas/weather thing. Also could be that my exhaust valve is disabled...hmmm. The DK map is awesome and Dan Kyle does great work. Wish he were closer.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Austin Powers - thanks a million - -when I get a spare moment I'll load those settings - Ill let you know how it works - I'm sure it'll be great

Mavrik - 3rd gear in stock form - meaning no upgrades - "with a little work" means pulling on the bars or standing on the rear pegs?? just curious but that sounds pretty strong in stock - good for you - in stock you had to hit it right at about 7 grand and it would pop up but not in third - I'd just get those little wiggles when hard on the gas

1 - 20 of 115 Posts