Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is there a law on how plates are displayed in Texas? I got pulled over by a State Trooper and was given a warning ticket for "Improperly/Obstructed License Plate (#). On Angle." I am running a Competition Werkes fender eliminator kit w/ lights. He said the plate had to be perpendicular to the road. I will post up a picture here in a few to see what you all think.:dontknow:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
The law is the law.............. I once heard from a LEO on the forum driving is a priviledge not a right:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
he was trying to be a dick. if it was really that bad he would have given you a real ticket

nice chicken strips, btw lol

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
Here ya go. . .

TRC §502.409.

WRONG, FICTITIOUS, ALTERED, OR OBSCURED LICENSE PLATE.

(a) A person commits an offense if the person attaches to or displays on a motor vehicle a number plate or registration insignia that:

(1) is assigned to a different motor vehicle;

(2) is assigned to the vehicle under any other motor vehicle law other than by the department;

(3) is assigned for a registration period other than the registration period in effect;

(4) is fictitious;

(5) has blurring or reflective matter that significantly impairs the readability of the name of the state in which the vehicle is registered or the letters or numbers of the license plate number at any time ;

(6) has an attached illuminated device or sticker, decal, emblem, or other insignia that is not authorized by law and that interferes with the readability of the letters or numbers of the license plate number or the name of the state in which the vehicle is registered; or

(7) has a coating, covering, protective material, or other apparatus that:

(A) distorts angular visibility or detectability;

(B) alters or obscures one-half or more of the name of the state in which the vehicle is registered; or

(C) alters or obscures the letters or numbers of the license plate number or the color of the plate.

(b) Except as provided by Subsection (f), an offense under Subsection (a) is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not more than $200, unless it is shown at the trial of the offense that the owner knowingly altered or made illegible the letters, numbers, and other identification marks, in which case the offense is a Class B misdemeanor.

[double amendments to the same provision]

(c) *

[as added by Acts 2007, 80th Leg., R.S., HB 1623]

A court may dismiss a charge brought under Subsection (a)(3), (5), (6), or (7) if the defendant:

(1) remedies the defect before the defendant's first court appearance; and

(2) pays an administrative fee not to exceed $10.

(c) *
*[as added by Acts 2007, 80th Leg., R.S., SB 369]

Subsection (a)(7) may not be construed to apply to:

(1) a trailer hitch installed on a vehicle in a normal or customary manner;

(2) a transponder, as defined by Section 228.057, that is attached to a vehicle in the manner required by the issuing authority;

(3) a wheelchair lift or wheelchair carrier that is attached to a vehicle in a normal or customary manner;

(4) a trailer being towed by a vehicle; or

(5) a bicycle rack that is attached to a vehicle in a normal or customary manner.

(d), & (e)*

[*repealed by Acts 1997, 75th Leg.]

(f) An offense under Subsection (a)(4) is a Class B misdemeanor.

TRC §548.255.

ATTACHMENT OR PRODUCTION OF INSPECTION CERTIFICATE.

(a) An inspection certificate shall be attached to or produced for a vehicle in the manner required by department rule.

(b) The department shall:

(1) require that a certificate for a motorcycle be attached to the rear of the motorcycle near the license plate; and

(2) adopt rules with respect to display of an inspection certificate for a moped.

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
The angle is a bit high, but not bad. If you can, try to bend the bracket a bit and angle it down some. Just so you don't get hassled again. My $.02
Nice 10R BTW :cool:

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
It does have a bit much upward angle. I'm sure it could be tweaked a bit. A few degrees down might make enough difference. Having that inspection tag right on display goes a long way too. The less you look like a squid, the less you get messed with.

·
Banned
1,056 Posts
Yes that is True Driving is not a right, It is a privelege,
Any rights one actually have is provided for by law. There are no laws that provide for privileges. So that cliche is old, worn out and simply not true because you say it is true.

You have a legal right to operate a motor vehicle until you abuse that legal right and then that right is then legally removed. Nothing to do with a privilege.

That mans tag was NOT that bad. That cop had some other agenda in writing that ticket, as in raising revenue. Its happening all across the US for fix it tickets. Due to the economic meltdown and most governments strapped for cash.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Any rights one actually have is provided for by law. There are no laws that provide for privileges. So that cliche is old, worn out and simply not true because you say it is true.

You have a legal right to operate a motor vehicle until you abuse that legal right and then that right is then legally removed. Nothing to do with a privilege.

That mans tag was NOT that bad. That cop had some other agenda in writing that ticket, as in raising revenue. Its happening all across the US for fix it tickets. Due to the economic meltdown and most governments strapped for cash.
Funny thing is we passed each other on the highway. I turned off on a road that leads to my neighborhood and entered the neighborhood. He must of been hauling azz to catch up with me in the neighborhood. I was doing the speed limit at the time I passed him and while in the neighborhood. He made a comment he rides too but would never ride a sports bike. Hmmmm Then before he even asked for my license he told me it was only going to be a warning. So if we pass each other (head on) going 70 MPH each, how in the hell could he see my tag. It was only a warning. I guessed if he really wanted to mess with me it would of been a real ticket. Maybe he likes to see guys in their gear stand under the Texas Sun. Dunno I do think it is cool that the tickets are printed now instead of the old pink copy. LOL Well my driving record is still clean so the heck with it.

·
Banned
1,056 Posts
You had a good argument going until you showed a distinct deficit in reading comprehension.

:wink:
as in Post Count + 1 Biotches? Remember that one? It was in one of your classified ads back in 2007. :smile:

I missed the warning part as it applied to the OP, but the statement that cops all across the US are writing tickets for fix it stuff due to the economic meltdown still stands as valid. My neighbor is a State Patrol Trooper and he stated they had a meeting where they were told, NO MORE WARNINGS.

Personally if I just got a WARNING about how my tag was mounted I wouldn't bother posting about it and showing off my chicken strips in the process.

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
we pass each other (head on)
I've had cops do this soooo many times. A bit annoying but the way I help myself be ok with it is by having the attitude that he just checked my plate and vin, so had the bike been stolen, the stop would have recovered another bike. ...this asuming that aside for stopping me for no reason, the cop was otherwise professional. Which is rule not the exception around N. Dallas. In 4 years I've yet to encounter a cop that was anything but professional. Others have had other experiences. I think my [good] attitude gets reflected back. Give attitude, you get attitude.

:cool:

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've had cops do this soooo many times. A bit annoying but the way I help myself be ok with it is by having the attitude that he just checked my plate and vin, so had the bike been stolen, the stop would have recovered another bike. ...this asuming that aside for stopping me for no reason, the cop was otherwise professional. Which is rule not the exception around N. Dallas. In 4 years I've yet to encounter a cop that was anything but professional. Others have had other experiences. I think my [good] attitude gets reflected back. Give attitude, you get attitude.

:cool:
Stolen bike,,,,, Good point. I will try to remember that one. I try to never argue with a cop either. That is a guaranteed FAIL. LOL

·
Custom Powder Coater
6,556 Posts
When i got my ticket the cop actually grabbed my tag and bent it down and said "this is how your tag should be" mine was facing the tail light though..

·
MIdlife PIMP
3,459 Posts
its a $1,025 fine here in Fla now thanx to hb137:headshake
I thought they got rid of that ordinance?.......I remember reading here somewhere that they did,.or maybe that was just where the tag was mounted.......as far as like a side mount down on theswingarm?.....IDK..........I am just glad I don't live in FL....damn........sounds like you guys get hassled all the time!.......I have never been pulled here in NC,.............I have been lit up and warned a few times and have given a few the slip when they go to turn around on me,...........but have never been followed and pulled over!
I have even pulled a few wheelies on accident in front of a few parked cruisers......?......guess they figure here in twisty land,.........they don't stand a chance,.........unless they are lucky with the radio!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts