Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to the leo's on this fourm, if your caught speeding( no wheelies ) and see a trooper or sheriff turn around, put his lights on and you immediately pull over, doesn't that go a long way in the eyes of the Leo showing that you have no intention of fleeing and showing respect ? this has happened to me twice and have gotten away with warrnings. just a thought...again iam 44 and not a teen. but any tips on how to avoid a ticket(besides the obvious of not speeding) would help.

Also when the leo's ask when was your last ticket, what are they getting at? Trying to give u a break having sympathy or seeing if you have multiple tickets, lying,ect. You would think that they
will look it up anyway. Any veteran LEO's out there? Just looking for some insight on the subject.:dontknow:

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
when asked when your last ticket was, thats to see if the person is gonna lie or tell the truth cause you know your gonna find out as soon as you run his or her info.... but im just guessing ...

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Well I say that when a bike pulls over when they know they are in the wrong it shows good intent (respect) and it also shows that the rider knows they did wrong and is willing to take the punishment. It goes a long way to start a good impression.

Also I know when I ask the question of "how many tckts or when was your last?" I am looking for prior or repeated behavior AND a lie. If there are similar priors or a lie then most often you are cited as you have continued unlawful driving behavior or you are untruthful (which is disrespectful).

This is in my own opinion.

I have 6yrs law enforcement experience and am still a full time officer.

hope this helps DT.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
thanks, that's the feedback i am looking for. not that iam some crazed speeding lunatic, but lets face it, some times you cant help but let it loose every now and then when no one's around, except for that elusive 'on coming trooper comming in the opposite direction,L.O.L. yet i did'nt know if there asking that to see if you havn't had a ticket in 3 or 4 years, then now is the time to give you one since it wont be that much of an impact or seeing if ur lying,ect,,,,

·
Registered
5,162 Posts
OK, quick hijack: What about when you get pulled over at the cop asks you, "where are you headed?" What is the deal with that question?

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
I cant truly answer that a 100% because I was only a mp for sometime and havent yet gotten into a department down my way. But in my sense of mind thats a common thing along with the hand trick on the vehicle. But its to catch someone in a lie really. Some people have no respect and will try crazy and ungodly excuses to get out of traffic violations. Heres a great example of it, I'm a cop and I'm pulling a vehicle over and what not, I walk up to the vehicle and ask where are you going today in such a hurry ect. They say I'm in a hurry due to the fact I have to be here ect. Now you have a story which they have to stick with, if it changes or maybe there going in the complete wrong direction of where they say there headed you right there know something is up!! I really think thats just a common sense point of view of things

Any leos please correct me if I'm wrong cause I'm due to be sitting in your seat soon!!

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I have a few buddies that are LEO's for different agencies down here in South Florida and it varies. There is no one strategy on getting pulled over. It sadly has to with the mood of the officer. I have heard riders getting pulled over and the cop was cool as hell then .... BAM, he strokes you anyway for a ticket. Other stories are that one officer rides too and admires your bike and lets you go. Other ones you dont get a ticket but they make sure all your papers are straight and if not... they make you get someone that has all their papers striaght so they can ride your bike away cuz the officer wouldnt let you ride. Even if it took an hour for one of your buddies to show up.

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
basically what I said, its to catch you in a lie or see if your story adds up!! Its all about reading people really, thats a cops best tool when handling a situation. But this is coming from a rookie haha or soon to be lol

yeah your right joker, heck I got that one cop suspended if you remember, yeah I never updated my thread for the people...Cop got suspended for 2 months with NO PAY for pulling me over, story short he pulled me over profiling/no probable cause basically and tried to nail it to me with a hole shit ton of stuff called his officer on the spot, hit up a court date for the guy, he got suspended!! Theres a lot more to it but thats the short one...

·
Registered
777 Posts
Here's the thing - I've gotten pulled over more times than i can remember and gotten more tickets than I want to remember. My feeling is that I'm not there for a roadside chat. Either write me the ticket or let me go.

Do you know why I stopped you? Nope. I have a guess, but how would I know?

How fast was I going? I think you ought to know - you're the guy with the radar.

Where am I going? Nowhere. I'm sitting here talking to you. WTF do you care anyway - you're not invited.

Obviously I don't answer like that, but I don't even get questioned anymore. By the time he walks up I'm holding out my info. Usually they just walk back to the car and take a coffee break to "teach me a lesson".

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
that's funny.

I think what it comes down to there are duchbag cops/riders and no matter what, your screwed in that aspect, then there are decent cops/ ridders, and giving the right answer along with having the right attitude hopefully will go in our favor. again just trying to see what they are up to when they ask those questions,,,,

·
Dangerous
304 Posts
I always just pull over and try and be polite and respectful. It usually works and I get off with a warning or he writes me up for 70 in a 60 zone when we both know I was doing 95. But you never know if the guys boss is on his ass and his wife is cheating on him he might be a dick and slam you anyway. I think 9 times out of 10 being respectfull will work to your benifit.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I ask where you are heading simply to see if there is a reason for your speed. If not then it gives me a basis to see if the rest of your story fits.
I will say that not having to chase to catch up to you, or follow for miles goe s a long way to improving my mood when we do finally get stopped.
As far as asking about previous tickets its sets a pattern. are you honest? Is this a common issue with you, etc? I dont have much sympathy for people who are constant speeders.

·
Gen3
824 Posts
Long story short... i got clocked going 73 in a 45 going up a canyon. Ended up not getting a ticket. He said it was bacause... I pulled over right away, acted respectful, and had my endorsement, insurance, & registration.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
thats a common thing along with the hand trick on the vehicle.
I always wondered what the deal was w/ touching the rear of the car as the officer approaches, I just assume they are checking to see if it's running.:dontknow:

·
Registered
643 Posts
just above rear drivers side taillight. use the 4 fingers of your right hand. its to mark the vehicle with your prints in case it needs to be identified.

·
Servo's Eliminatus ;)
6,813 Posts
I got pulled over on my way to Hattiesburg Mississippi by a trooper a while back.

As soon as I saw him hit the blues, I pulled over and waited for him, cause

I knew who he was coming after.

He pulled up and got out, I'm off the bike with my D/L, ins, reg in hand.

As he gets to me i say, "Busted" what can I say. He laughs at me and ask me

where I was going. 80 in a 60. I say to hell, when my wife see's this ticket.

She's gonna chew my ass for this one.

He walked back to the car ran my info, comes walking back with his ticket

book.

He still gave me a ticket but he knocked it way down for me and thanked me

for not running.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Omofo:

the car touch is something we a trained to do, because many officers have died walking past an open trunk. The idea is that if someone pops the trunk a 2nd subject may be inside waiting to escape or ambush an officer.

if anyone ever has any questions feel free to PM me!

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Good to know, thanks for the info!

1 - 20 of 111 Posts