Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
why do racers hang their leg out before a turn? is it style or is there an actual benefit such as wind drag or feeling out the camber?

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
read a pretty good article in a magazine a while back about this...the pro's-con's etc.....seems it's just to do it, there is no benefit at all from it, except mentally maybe? i think it's kinda dumb myself though.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
yeah and Rossi if ya have'nt noticed dont do it so much anymore... I think its dumb as well LOL, esp if ya see someone on the Street do it LMAO !!!!

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Read an article once that said one possible reason is because a rider is so focused on what he/she is doing preparing to enter a turn its one less thing to think about (fighting braking forces) and just let their leg do whatever and then once they enter the turn they pull their leg in. True or not? who knows....

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
well when you're going into a turn you have to get on your toes on the peg otherwise your toe will drag and can cause you to low side. so they are always repositioning their feet before they enter a turn. you'll notice that some of them just slide their foot back without taking it off the peg, some swing their foot back like what you are talking about. it's just personal preference.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I was watching the Qatar GP and they were talking about it. they say that the majority do this but are not aware of it. And they said that the main purpose of hanging the leg out is to balance then at entry point. I don't know if it's true but that's what they said.:dontknow:

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I like it when they take off from a light and ride with both legs off the pegs for what seems to be 5 minutes or so just dangling their legs behind them

·
Registered
994 Posts
Read an article once that said one possible reason is because a rider is so focused on what he/she is doing preparing to enter a turn its one less thing to think about (fighting braking forces) and just let their leg do whatever and then once they enter the turn they pull their leg in. True or not? who knows....
This is what ive heard, makes sense I guess, I couldnt imagine braking that hard though...crazy

·
Registered
994 Posts
I like it when they take off from a light and ride with both legs off the pegs for what seems to be 5 minutes or so just dangling their legs behind them
I know what your talkin about. I hate that shit. Im at Ft. Bliss, it seems like soldiers are the worst about it.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I know what your talkin about. I hate that shit. Im at Ft. Bliss, it seems like soldiers are the worst about it.
absolutly... or the dumb ass that stretches a 600 like 14"... i dont understand how the hell the turn... Soldiers are bad about everything... I had our senior motorcycle rider tell me "hey i need to inspect your bike before the memorial day holiday", and i was like well you can come to my house and look at it cause i sent the forks to racetech to get it revalved and seals replaced.. He then proceeded to preach to me how dumb suspension set up was, and that he would kick my ass with his 600..... i was like i wouldnt race you anyways man, and your a ignorant rider to say a proper suspension setup is "dumb"

Military riders, at least the majority i have ran into, drive me crazy.. They either want you to join some club, or sit in a parking lot at a bike night... sorry bout the thread jack... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
absolutly... or the dumb ass that stretches a 600 like 14"... i dont understand how the hell the turn... Soldiers are bad about everything... I had our senior motorcycle rider tell me "hey i need to inspect your bike before the memorial day holiday", and i was like well you can come to my house and look at it cause i sent the forks to racetech to get it revalved and seals replaced.. He then proceeded to preach to me how dumb suspension set up was, and that he would kick my ass with his 600..... i was like i wouldnt race you anyways man, and your a ignorant rider to say a proper suspension setup is "dumb"

Military riders, at least the majority i have ran into, drive me crazy.. They either want you to join some club, or sit in a parking lot at a bike night... sorry bout the thread jack... :thumbsup:

You know you wanna fluff ridaz vest

·
Registered
681 Posts
oh my dont get me started... i had 3 groups come up to me at the PX getting gas, and was like you wanna join... I just told them nope im a privateer. they were like why.. and i said man im in the army i have enough structure and people telling me what to do in the first place.. dont need a bunch of guys telling me what i need to do when im riding

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
oh my dont get me started... i had 3 groups come up to me at the PX getting gas, and was like you wanna join... I just told them nope im a privateer. they were like why.. and i said man im in the army i have enough structure and people telling me what to do in the first place.. dont need a bunch of guys telling me what i need to do when im riding
haha we were at the Whataburger near 190 and a group of them came in and did the synchronized kickstand thing when they pulled up. no shit we were dying. I wonder how long they practice that stuff?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts