Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had their lifer left fairing start to melt from prolonged high speeds on the highway? I just had the recall fixed and hoping this didn’t cause extra heat below.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,333 Posts
That's interesting. First I've heard of that. Where is it supposedly melting? What engine temps are you seeing? What exhaust do you have and is it tuned properly?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I still have the factory exhaust, recently got the recall done then got the ECU flashed. I did have it at varying speeds of between 120-160 for about an hour. It seems like the oil pan is what is getting too hot not the exhaust, it’s actually only melting the sticker at the bottomed the fairing not the fairing just sucks because it’s only a few months old. I was thinking of having the dealer get me a new decal and trying to find some kind of heat shielding tape to put inside the fairing... I am still using non synthetic oil, was thinking about going full synthetic next change. I’ll try to post a picture tomorrow.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just called the dealer, they seem to think it’s the cat heating up the oil pan. I just ordered and Akro link pipe, I’m just gonna keep the factory can for now and I guess I’ll make another trip to Guhl Motors after I get that on. That small little sticker, the dealer told me was $65 but they said they would call to see if they can cover it under warrant. So my next question is... does anyone know of some good heat shielding tape to put inside the fairing just in case the cat delete doesn’t help? I’d rather do everything all at once and not deal with it again.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,333 Posts
Uhm, ok. That's way different than the fairing melting. That's just the decal. If the oil pan was hot enough to start peeling the sticker or melting the plastic, the engine itself would already be permanently damaged. Or on fire. It's not the oil pan. The catalytic converter is right there. The purpose of the cat is to get hot to burn off the gases for emissions reasons. There's a platinum honeycomb in it that gets hot to do that. If you get rid of that, there's no reason to add any heat shielding. The area will run a bit cooler, but will be farther away and flow more air.

Any aluminum tape heat-shielding material can be applied to the inside of the fairing though. Cut it and stick it.
https://www.amazon.com/Barrera-adhesiva-respaldo-Thermo-Tec-13575-12/dp/B00029KC2K/ref=pd_lpo_263_t_0/132-8033875-2482241?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00029KC2K&pd_rd_r=2e98b6ae-1d6e-4add-9d8c-18faf862f4df&pd_rd_w=oAbRA&pd_rd_wg=zXW8H&pf_rd_p=7b36d496-f366-4631-94d3-61b87b52511b&pf_rd_r=C7YJS7VB6S2ENR4JW734&psc=1&refRID=C7YJS7VB6S2ENR4JW734

1 - 6 of 6 Posts