Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys
I've just installed a set of AuxBeam F-16 plus LED bulbs on my gen 5.. the difference was night and day.
Had to do quite a bit of work to get it to function properly.

1. The Auxbeam came with a driver box. Since it wouldn't go in the housing through the access panel i had to remove the front lenses and stuck it to the side of the reflector.
All the wiring was tucked in the housing.

2. The bulb has a fan on the end and pulls air into to housing. So i drilled a hole (even though there was enough clearance to put the cap on without modification) and made a sort of funnel to keep the rain out.

3. Lined up the low beams to standard and I lowered the high beam to where it can be used at night without blinding oncoming traffic.

Will keep you guys posted on the long term performance of this mod.

1_15_1.jpg 7_3_6.jpg
20200603_230916.jpg
20200603_230932.jpg
20200603_230948.jpg

·
Registered
26 Posts
That is nice. I did something similar on both the high and low beam and I used rubber covers instead of using the original cover. The rubber covers fit but they are not waterproof if I get caught in a heavy downpour. I liked your idea and will order the OEM covers to modify those. I used the Katana bulb because I had good luck with those. I used them on my truck as well.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,178 Posts
I'm not gonna lie and say that's cool. That is not the proper install just to have the magical LED headlight bulbs. Putting a funnel on back of the covers still exposes the headlight reflector to atmosphere. Water, condensation, etc. still can get right in there. Especially with the fan pulling air in through the funnel and all that tire spray kicked up from the front in the rain. And I hope you intend to check for bug carcasses in the headlight periodically. Having to disassemble and put the driver unit into the reflector housing is that much more problematic and hard to secure. While I applaud your DIY approach, these fan-cooled LED lights have no business near these bikes IMO. If you're happy with it though.

There simply are no plug-n-play LED headlights. The closest thing would be the GTRLighting CSP mini. The aluminum heatsink will fit the reflector, but the OEM plug connector is too long for the cover to go back on. There has to be a right-angle pigtail used to get power to it to allow the cover to go back on without interfering with the spades. But these use the Philips Lumiled LED chips and would be the closest that I can find to be even remotely usable the proper way.

·
Registered
26 Posts
sky: that is very good information and agree with your assessment. The best upgrade that I did on my CBR was the HID kit retrofit mod. now there is a company that supplies HID replacement headlight assembly for around $600. I may go that route but I dont do a whole lot of night riding so hard to justify. I know how to retrofit HIDs projectors and waiting for a headlight assembly for sale for Gen 5.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,178 Posts
sky: that is very good information and agree with your assessment. The best upgrade that I did on my CBR was the HID kit retrofit mod. now there is a company that supplies HID replacement headlight assembly for around $600. I may go that route but I dont do a whole lot of night riding so hard to justify. I know how to retrofit HIDs projectors and waiting for a headlight assembly for sale for Gen 5.
If you're looking for more light at night, then the HID would be the better way to go for sure. If you're looking for more of a color change to help with visibility during the day, then LED would be an option along with the HID in the current reflector. Although the HID has more options for color temp than a lot of these LEDs. The ones I posted above are only available in 6000k so they'll have a tint of blue in them. I prefer the 5000k color temp for pure white. People typically shy away from the HID because of the igniter module. Mounting that has the same issues as the fan-cooled LED one above. The igniter is bigger so it has to be mounted external to the housing. Plus, the wiring has to go through a grommet to the bulb. Projectors are a whole other level. They are sharp and provide good focus. If you're going that route, then go for it! Most people won't spend that much for the lights though and are looking for a cheap bulb to just slap in the headlight for "more light".

I would consider the LED I posted before for a use in my bike for daytime use. But I ride around with the highbeams on all the time when the sun is up. I have HID bulbs already that I just haven't fitted yet. I don't like the placement options for the igniter that I can find. I may get bored and test out those CSP minis when I get the chance. But that would be only to change the color test away from the halogen to add some visibility. We'll see. I wouldn't use those Auxbeam CREE ones in the fog lights of my truck. :sneaky:

·
Registered
26 Posts
The retrofit Project mods that I did was quite involved. Luckily, I had a spare headlight assembly that I modified to install projectors. The retrofit HID kit was specially made for my CBR. The ignitors were slim. The Kit had halo and angel eyes so lots of wire to work with. I was able to tuck them below the assembly on that bike (2012 CBR). I did several highway night rides and was pleased with the results. I may go that route if I get my hands on a headlight assembly. The other option is replacing the one with already made one. I will look into the bulbs you mentioned a bit more closely. I used the Katana bulbs because they are also on my truck (Nissan Frontier) for three years now and provide very good light.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,178 Posts
I purchased a set of LEDs for my '17, plug and play with the factory dust cap, they are out there.
These types of bulbs are available. I'm assuming something like this is the type you bought for it. They are shit.

Don't fool yourself. Just because they say "headlight bulb" on the packaging doesn't mean they are the type that can be effectively used in a headlight housing designed around halogen bulbs. The mirrored headlight reflector inside is designed around light source. A halogen bulb has a filament the size of a single grain of rice. You can't slap these types of bulbs in there with a light source this big and expect to get any sort of good illumination from them. This type should be used in a flashlight or a foglight. Or a headlight originally designed for LEDs with more of a projector lens. None of which the ZX-10R has.

There are viable options out there, but none of the ones that I have seen qualify as "plug-n-play". The design of them has to mimic the focal point and light dispersion pattern of the halogen it's replacing. In order to do that, it will produce heat and will require a heatsink to not damage the LED chips on them. The heatsink and assoicated wiring to drive the higher power is what the issue is with fitting them in the housing of this bike with the covers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts