Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
been told too many times this past season that i need to get a set of leathers.
i am looking at a 1-piece for next season.
did some looking around and found a few sites that have some less expensive items availiable.
comparing them to the higher priced leathers and their construction makes me wonder what is the differences in them.
here's one example of what i have been looking into so far as a decent suit.
http://www.spartanleathers.com/

i'm wondering what you look for in a suit that leads you to believe they are better than others.

on another note someone has mentioned to me a few times to not buy one brand of suit because they tend ti rip on their first down.

can't remember which brand that was.

any ideas???

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I know everybody will have a different opinion, but since you ask, I will put my 2 cents in. I have experience with Frank Thomas and Hein Gerick. The HG is a little thicker in most parts and people swear that they crash really well. For me, the cut is just not comfy enough on the bike, but my buddy who is a little shorter and fatter, works awesome. FT suits for my build are great. I wear a 1 piece size 42 (5'10", 165 lbs) and its like a glove. I went down at Texas World in my FT and walked away from my F*&'ed up bike like a champ. I still wear that suit, the scuffs give it character. Either suit is under $600, I actually got my Frank Thomas for $380 out the door from Cycle Gear with a military discount. These are not top $$ Dianese's and crap, but they get the job done. All haters are welcome to talk shit about these brands, but please be real and state: when have you worn or wrecked in either suit.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info.
i will look into them.
my problem is that i will most likely have to have a custom built suit.

freaking ape arms.
i've tried on a few suits and found some to fit good in places and yet either too tight or too loose in others.

i appreciate all input

·
Registered
654 Posts
I'm with you. Although I am not huge, it's hard to find things that fit. I'm 6-3 and 220 and I can't find anything that fits the way it should. I am just realizing I will probably have to go to a 2 piece.

thanks for the info.
i will look into them.
my problem is that i will most likely have to have a custom built suit.

freaking ape arms.
i've tried on a few suits and found some to fit good in places and yet either too tight or too loose in others.

i appreciate all input

·
Registered
609 Posts
Nothing better than a quality suit that actually fits. I got mine from http://syedleathers.com/

Almost all the off the shelf stuff doesn't begin to compare. Vanson being one of the few exceptions.

Get the best you can afford.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guy's!!!
i appreciate the site listings.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
again thanks for all your help.
got lucky and found a local rider selling his full suit for 200$.
what you think???
fit is good and i can't wait to fly the track with it.

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
i have a set of Frank Thomas leathers too and love them. they hold up well when you go down, my friend has the same set as me "XTI" and went down at about 90 without anything out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
that's good to know.
i was hoping i didn't make a bad purchase.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
FT works, can't hate on mine...Looks like a good fit. Ride safe
kinda odd that you mentioned them in your first post and it is the suit i ended up with.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts