Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Does not drive into smoke
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How does rain affect your leathers? Do you see the sleeves and legs shrink? Does mink oil prevent the deterioration and shrinking of the leather? How do you handle it?

When you ride track, do you dry them between sessions, or do you keep them wet? Do you keep them on to prevent shrinking?

I know I have even replied in a similar thread with recommendations from the Taichi website, but I'm curious about to what degree the leathers are affected in reality. I guess spending $1000+ on a suit made me a bit nervous.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Some guys will ride in the rain to break the leather in! But I've never heard of leathers shrinking in the rain though. The biggest enemy of leathers is sweat. The salts in your sweat will break down the leather after time. So washing your leathers every once in a while is a must.

·
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My first leather jacket shrank a bit after my first ride in a heavy rain. The jacket got pretty much soaked in water and after it dried up the sleeves were a bit shorter. The leather itself got a bit hard, but I think that mink oil could help prevent that.

·
Starbucks Connoisseur
4,369 Posts
My first leather jacket shrank a bit after my first ride in a heavy rain. The jacket got pretty much soaked in water and after it dried up the sleeves were a bit shorter. The leather itself got a bit hard, but I think that mink oil could help prevent that.

How come it never shrunk on the original owner?
He had it way longer than you and was the first to ever wear it.

·
Starbucks Connoisseur
4,369 Posts

·
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll give you a clue. When he was growing up, his first words where "moo"
I see... Then going back to your original question, I guess it starts with the difference between a skin of a living animal, and a dead product made of that skin.

·
Starbucks Connoisseur
4,369 Posts
I see... Then going back to your original question, I guess it starts with the difference between a skin of a living animal, and a dead product made of that skin.
Good point.

I wonder how come they never keep the original color scheme it came with. That would look tight on a white ZX-10R

·
The Pace
6,949 Posts
Good question. Never been in a serious rain as here you never have a surprise rain. If it's raining when ya get up, gonna be wet all day. Or at least part of the day.

I think leather stretches with wet, then shrinks like crazy big time as it dries. I'd check with manufacturer.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
How does rain affect your leathers? Do you see the sleeves and legs shrink? Does mink oil prevent the deterioration and shrinking of the leather? How do you handle it?

Do you keep them on to prevent shrinking?
Hell, never take 'em off....wear 'em for weeks at a time! Sucks when you gotta piss!!:lol: Stay away from the beer!:lol:

Actually, I stretched some leathers by soaking them in the tub, stuffing a couple of bike inner tubes in 'em, inflating 'em and letting them dry...increased by about one size :thumbsup:

·
Registered
183 Posts
As long as you condition them well rain is no issue. In fact you can even machine wash a leather suit or take it into the shower with you to clean.

Hang dry them out as soon as possible (not in the sun, not near any heat source) using a good leather conditioner every now and then to rub into the leather. There are plenty of instructions for this procedure on the net. I prefer Lexol but there are other high quality cleaners and conditioners.

·
Chairman of the Board
16,021 Posts
I use Lexol on mine as sdiver mentioned. Ive been in the rain a few times with them at the track and I just wore them as usual, letting them drape around my waist between sessions. Ive been told of old school racers putting on a new set, having someone soak them down with a hose then riding till they are dry to conform them to their body shape. Never done that personally. I typically lay mine out after a track day with a fan blowing through them to let them dry out before putting them up then rub them down with Lexol. Its not expensive and its really easy to use.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Leather gets soft and mailible when wet but can shink if as it dries so if you wear it dry it forms to you. Its kinda like a quality wool 59fifty baseball cap. If you don't go for the flatbill look. Soak in the sink then wear it dry. Make it feel like a broke in cap that took months to shape.

Being out west, I know alot of guys that will soak a new saddle in a stock tank then throw it on a horse and ride it dry to break it in. The leather work boots are the same way. soak 'em then wear them dry. Then water proof them. I don't have a suit by I have treated my riding jacket. I used saddle soap to clean it then mink oiled. I looked better than new.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I have a leather jacket that is 11 years old and been rained on probably at least 100 times. I've never cleaned it :)throwup:), or treated it with anything. If it's soaked from rain I just throw it in the dryer, put it back on the next morning and I'm good to go.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Good point.

I wonder how come they never keep the original color scheme it came with. That would look tight on a white ZX-10R
That it funny right there

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Lorenzo should be able to answer this question. Especially after he almost drowned when he jumped in the pond at track celebrating victory a few years back.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts