Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm buying my first leather suit and I have the option of getting it with/without the race hump. My question is.......being new to the track as well as to leather suits, should I go ahead and get it since it's free? I know I don't "need" it but am I going to really feel a difference if it's there? Are there any disadvantages to having it on there? I don't see it being a huge advantage as I'm only a beginner and to be honest I don't think they look very good and if it isn't a big deal then I'm thinking about going without it. I just don't want to find myself down the road answering the question of "if you had a custom suit made why didn't you get a hump?"

·
Registered
463 Posts
I'm buying my first leather suit and I have the option of getting it with/without the race hump. My question is.......being new to the track as well as to leather suits, should I go ahead and get it since it's free? I know I don't "need" it but am I going to really feel a difference if it's there? Are there any disadvantages to having it on there? I don't see it being a huge advantage as I'm only a beginner and to be honest I don't think they look very good and if it isn't a big deal then I'm thinking about going without it. I just don't want to find myself down the road answering the question of "if you had a custom suit made why didn't you get a hump?"
get the hump.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Improved aerodynamics, helps prevent whiplash. Personally I like having as much added protection as possible, but its your money and suit.

·
Blitzkrieg
4,473 Posts
all of the above. plus if its perf it helps with air flow for cooling.

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
^^^I agree with everyone above. Me personally it helps with the head/helmet shutter like another member above stated...Get it!!!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
here's how the question came up. I was filling in all the colors for the design of the suit and the template I was using had a hump. I chose the template with the hump because I thought "hell, it's free so I might as well have it". I did about 8 different designs and the girlfriend asked "why is that hump thingy there.....do you really need it?" I said "I think it's for aerodynamics but other than that I'm not really sure." Then I started thinking about it more and decided that I didn't really know if it was going to be all that helpful to me at the level I'm at and that I need to ask around and see what some other peoples thoughts were on the subject. Taking all the above into account and since I was going to get the damn thing in the beginning anyway I think I'll just go ahead and do it. Thanks for the input gents.

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
Hey man your getting a suit designed for you...Get it hand down. You say for what your doing now. We all started some where. You will be out of novice in no time and thinking maybe my helmet shaking isnt for the best and I should of got the damn hump...Just do it and don't look back

·
Registered
265 Posts
take pics at your trackday, and some pics of the suit when its in.
your on the right path if your into suit, in case nobody has mentioned this to you... buy a BACK PROTECTOR, a GOOD one, if the suit comes with one, take it out and bend it back on itself, if it bend back....so can your back... snell helmet. good boots with solid lateral crush protection, gauntlet gloves with something actually hard on the knuckles(carbon, metal, whatever) i only mention it because i ground through the back of one of my leather gloves i wore on the supermoto track cause "were going slower so its ok" gave myself a wicked scar but if it was big bike speeds i would have been into my bone quick. and hey if you know all this stuff great, then its for the guys who dont, and if you dont, PM me and ill post whatever advice you want on your thread.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You getting a Spartan suit?
I've been looking really hard at the Spartan suit. That's the template I've been working off of with the design process. And holy crap....I almost wish I didn't have a choice on colors and all. I've already made up about 15 different suits designs and I just can't commit to one LOL. I tried on a few off the shelf suits but at 6'4 and 230 I couldn't find anything that fit very well and thought it would be best to just have one made. I've been looking at the Pilot suits as well but they are over twice the price of the Spartan and the Spartan seems to be getting good reviews.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
take pics at your trackday, and some pics of the suit when its in.
your on the right path if your into suit, in case nobody has mentioned this to you... buy a BACK PROTECTOR, a GOOD one, if the suit comes with one, take it out and bend it back on itself, if it bend back....so can your back... snell helmet. good boots with solid lateral crush protection, gauntlet gloves with something actually hard on the knuckles(carbon, metal, whatever) i only mention it because i ground through the back of one of my leather gloves i wore on the supermoto track cause "were going slower so its ok" gave myself a wicked scar but if it was big bike speeds i would have been into my bone quick. and hey if you know all this stuff great, then its for the guys who dont, and if you dont, PM me and ill post whatever advice you want on your thread.
I'll definitely take pics when I get it. I've been looking at back protectors as well and was curious if there's a bad aftermarket back protector? I'm looking at a fairly expensive one. I don't plan on replacing it very often so I figure it's a good investment. I like my Scorpion helmets (all 5 of 'em) and feel they are a good fit for me and offer good protection (regardless of what others say about their head being worth more than $150). I'm leaning towards spending the $$ and getting the A* Supertech R's as my boot of choice. I don't plan on replacing them that often either so I'll spend a little more on those as well. I'd love some Held Phantom gloves but I have two pairs of Teknic gauntlets I need to go through first.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Colour wise for the suit I would sujest subtle. If it's good quality it will out last your current bike, so no point in getting a colour matched suit for this bike that looks stupid with the next. I have a black two piece and a white one piece.
definitely going subtle on color....right now it's 90% black/white. I'm really bad about getting bored with bike color and painting on the spur of the moment LOL

1 - 15 of 15 Posts