1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Does not drive into smoke
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I didn't read the article, but I'm assuming their %'s are based off statistics for each race? So improvements based on race seem an ok way to do business, if each race needs improving? Kind of strange, but still a positive way to move forward.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
To divide up education standards by race is basicly racist policy. But stereotypes are created by common occurances. If a particular group of people tend to stress the importance of education over another, is it fair to the kids that get no encouragement at home to be failed or held back a grade. Should the schools lower the levels across the board? So the unmotivated kids that will do just good enough to pass are shooting for 74% instead of 80's (honestly they won't set the standard that everybody has to keep up with the asians). Then you are setting the bar to low for kids that are equipted to do better and are only pushed not fail at home.

My friend is a Jr. High school teacher in one of the worst schools in Oklahoma. He says it is nearly impossible to teach the kids anything when they brag about how their "Pops" just made assistant manager at Mcdonald's. If most of the kids are viewing a career as assistant manager at a fast food chain, they aren't aiming high. How much do you think they really care about education. All they have to do is count change and read enough to understand a menu. They don't see any point in understanding biology.

I don't get it. My parents pushed the importance of education pretty hard especially when I was little. My brother and I got grounded for bringing a B home on a paper; not the report card. It i was only for a couple days. Study the rest of the day on what you missed and do it again on the next day.

·
Chairman of the Board
16,036 Posts
I dont agree with it but its a tough call. Is it fair to LOWER the standards for all the kids just because some cant make it? I think you end up dumbing down kids if you dont challenge them. Lets face it, most of us when challenged tend to perform at a higher level than when we arent. Again Im not trying to justify the new legislation. Im simply pointing out the fact that something does need to be done. I dont have the answer to the problem but I do know the U.S. statistically is slipping down the educational slope. We cant continue doing what were doing and think the results will be anything less than lack luster. Its a shame really. All kids are different, every one of them. Personally I think alot of it starts at home. If Mom and Dad arent willing to take an active part in jr's education then the schools are fighting a battle they cant win.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,789 Posts
It's absolutely absurd. This is part of the dumbing-down of America. To hold different groups to different standards does nothing to further the advancement of anyone. The legislators have basically said, "Blacks are the dumbest and Asians are the smartest. So we're going to lower the standards so everyone can have a warm fuzzy when they all get an 'A' on the report card." It's grading on a Bell curve based on race. :headshake: :bs:

The next step I see is kids will just be given a freaking diploma for anyone who just "participates" in school.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
sorry if I miss read that. I was thinking it was standardized test scores.

·
Chairman of the Board
16,036 Posts
To divide up education standards by race is basicly racist policy. But stereotypes are created by common occurances. If a particular group of people tend to stress the importance of education over another, is it fair to the kids that get no encouragement at home to be failed or held back a grade. Should the schools lower the levels across the board? So the unmotivated kids that will do just good enough to pass are shooting for 74% instead of 80's (honestly they won't set the standard that everybody has to keep up with the asians). Then you are setting the bar to low for kids that are equipted to do better and are only pushed not fail at home.
My friend is a Jr. High school teacher in one of the worst schools in Oklahoma. He says it is nearly impossible to teach the kids anything when they brag about how their "Pops" just made assistant manager at Mcdonald's. If most of the kids are viewing a career as assistant manager at a fast food chain, they aren't aiming high. How much do you think they really care about education. All they have to do is count change and read enough to understand a menu. They don't see any point in understanding biology.

I don't get it. My parents pushed the importance of education pretty hard especially when I was little. My brother and I got grounded for bringing a B home on a paper; not the report card. It i was only for a couple days. Study the rest of the day on what you missed and do it again on the next day.
Hard work, good work ethic and high personal standards go a long way! You dont win an Olympic medal or a WSBK championship or a Superbowl layin on the couch. You have to set high goals and work hard for them. We dont teach hard work anymore though we teach "You deserve a break today". We have become a nation of entitlement.

Again Im not sayin this legislation is right. More that what we are doing now isnt.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Hard work, good work ethic and high personal standards go a long way! You dont win an Olympic medal or a WSBK championship or a Superbowl layin on the couch. You have to set high goals and work hard for them. We dont teach hard work anymore though we teach "You deserve a break today". We have become a nation of entitlement.

Again Im not sayin this legislation is right. More that what we are doing now isnt.
A'men Brother, somewhat off topic but kinda related...... People today are soft and fragile, its the era of video games, social networks, and texting. You hand a kid a shovel, some seeds and water and he'll look at you funny, Hand a kid a rifle and a knife and tell him to go get dinner and he'd probably cry. All these kids are "tough" until shit gets real. A high percentage of todays generations will not survive when this country falls. Granted I love my country and have fought for this country but even Rome fell. Plain and simple people are too damn soft, and I for one will pray on the weak.

·
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's absolutely absurd. This is part of the dumbing-down of America. To hold different groups to different standards does nothing to further the advancement of anyone. The legislators have basically said, "Blacks are the dumbest and Asians are the smartest.
I think the worst thing here is that we're telling black or latino kids that they can't do any better than Asians or whites. Instead of helping them, we're telling them that "this is how it is".

We're headed straight to idiocracy.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,789 Posts
I think the worst thing here is that we're telling black or latino kids that they can't do any better than Asians or whites. Instead of helping them, we're telling them that "this is how it is".

Agreed. It's sad.

·
The Pace
6,962 Posts
"Florida’s State Board of Education recently passed a set of controversial reading and math standards for students based entirely upon race.

Under the new guidelines, the schools are aiming to achieve reading proficiency levels of 90 percent for Asian students, 88 percent for white students, 81 percent for Latino students and 74 percent for Black students by 2018."

http://www.bet.com/news/national/2012/10/15/florida-schools-approve-race-based-learning-goals.html
lol. The prob is that the 'tests' are not valid. Kids know absolutely ZERO compared to kids that graduated pre-1970. The ruler gulag people just pull tests to legitimate their constant errors in education.

Not joking. Ask ANY old timer teacher and they'll tell you with the passage of a couple years, kids get more slow and less focused. They'll quickly point out that they did THREE TIMES more stuff with the kids a couple decades ago compared to present kids.

Gulag rulers will quickly pull the Greek card which wrongfully quotes Socrates as saying how stupid 'modern' students are!

We're ruled by liars.

·
Chairman of the Board
16,036 Posts

Im not sure how many outside of Florida are familiar with the FCAT system that schools/teachers and administrators fought for so many years. Basically it was a system of tests administered to kids in different grades. The scores of these tests determined how much funding the school got in the future. Low scores = low funding. It was meant as an incetive based performance award but ended up only causing schools to teach kids how to pass the test. This system was a nightmare and I think the new law is a shot at making things better. Is it wrong? In fact Im really not sure how it can even be legal to be honest.

·
Registered
215 Posts

Interesting, so the last hundred years of public education must not have helped them? Think your post put us into Idiocracy. All I hear anymore is "gimme gimme gimme"

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
The kids are not seperated from each other are they? They are all being exposed to the same knowledge. The difference in standards may be insulting enough to get them to try and prove the powers that be wrong. I doubt this is the reason for the rule, but here is to hoping for a positive side effect.

Im not sure how many outside of Florida are familiar with the FCAT system that schools/teachers and administrators fought for so many years. Basically it was a system of tests administered to kids in different grades. The scores of these tests determined how much funding the school got in the future. Low scores = low funding. It was meant as an incetive based performance award but ended up only causing schools to teach kids how to pass the test. This system was a nightmare and I think the new law is a shot at making things better. Is it wrong? In fact Im really not sure how it can even be legal to be honest.
Oklahoma has something similar. It was put into place as I reached high school. Each year there was a different subject that was tested. I one year I know was math, my senior year I had to write an essay and take a standardized test on grammar and literature. The teachers bitched about it to us especially if you asked to learn something new in history. Atleast for me, we would start world history and mention Mesapotamia(sp) then spend most of the year on Egypt. The you get to the next grade and the teach Egypt again and again. I asked my teacher about skipping a couple chapters and studying the Vikings or something new. She said she wished she could be the state tests are Egyptian history so that is what they drill and only drill.

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
I dont see any good coming out of this. There may be some that will take it as a challenge, but honestly the majority will do just enough to get by, or just do what they know how and not really attempt to learn the new material. seems like a way to boost grades and scores on paper while not actually trying to educate kids. like Skydork said, its grading everyone on a bell curve by race, and at some point they will more than likely hand out diplomas for participation in the future.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I think no matter how you slice it, it's racist and morally wrong. Like or10r said I don't know how it's even legal. I understand trying to improve over the teaching just for standardized tests (that's what I was taught and it was crap). I don't think this is the way to approach the fundamental problem though. I'm not saying I have the answer, but I think the education system needs a complete overhaul (at least in Cali). A high school diploma used to get you a little ways and college was for the elite. I think a bachelors now gets you about the same place a high school diploma used to. We need to be the top dogs in the science world again and I think that requires a better base going into college. That's my $0.02

·
Chairman of the Board
16,036 Posts
I think no matter how you slice it, it's racist and morally wrong. Like or10r said I don't know how it's even legal. I understand trying to improve over the teaching just for standardized tests (that's what I was taught and it was crap). I don't think this is the way to approach the fundamental problem though. I'm not saying I have the answer, but I think the education system needs a complete overhaul (at least in Cali). A high school diploma used to get you a little ways and college was for the elite. I think a bachelors now gets you about the same place a high school diploma used to. We need to be the top dogs in the science world again and I think that requires a better base going into college. That's my $0.02
Agreed. We are falling woefully behind in education compared to the rest of the world. Im afraid the industry in the country will never do better if we dont start to educate our kids. They are the future entreprenuers, CEO's, researchers, workers, job force period. I dont know how we will ever compete in the world if they are ignorant. Im not saying this particular legislation is the answer, only that something needs to be changed. By the way did our parents say the same thing?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Agreed. By the way did our parents say the same thing?
It depends, how old are your parents. Mine were born late 60's. My parents didn't care about school so I'm basing what used to be after my grandparents more then anything. My parents are successful artists off of just barely graduating high school though. Art is one of the few things that seems impervious to having a degree although still not completely.

·
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Im afraid the industry in the country will never do better if we dont start to educate our kids. They are the future entreprenuers, CEO's, researchers, workers, job force period.
Sadly, another side of this is that they are also the current and future consumers. The dumber the consumers, they more easily they will spend the last penny on stuff they're told they need.

I hope this economic downturn is only temporary, and when things get better there will be more attention to research and education, both from the government and the corporations.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts