Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im open to opinions on this but this shit really burns me up. How could anyone, aside from some fucktard, think that a total newb or whatever youd call someone who has NEVER RIDDEN could learn how to ride a motorcycle in ONE HOUR?

07 Yamaha Vstar 650, GREAT STARTER BIKE! I'll teach U2 ride it!

I mean yea, it IS Craigslist and idiots abound but still, I sent a few pretty nasty texts to the person saying I hope they don't hurt/kill anyone with their shitty hour long "crash course". I honestly don't care how you learned to ride but if you learned from your sisters friends uncle or whoever in the backyard somewhere with a cruiser on grass or dirt or whatever backyard method you used - don't perpetuate things by teaching someone in that same fashion. AND don't ever think you can teach good fundamentals in one fucking hour! Don't know about some of you guys but I took my riding course pretty seriously and it taught me some really good habits. Holy fucking soapbox!!!:angryfire: Ok, im done

...for now:wink:

Oh yea and.......

"Am I wrong? Am I wrong here??"
...."No Walter you're just an Asshole!"
:thedude:

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I hate selling motorcycles because I feel obligated to grill the people buying them over their ability, experience, and whether the have a motorcycle license. I realize that's probably not my responsibility but I won't sell it to someone if I think they are going to get hurt on it before they get out of my driveway.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I hate selling motorcycles because I feel obligated to grill the people buying them over their ability, experience, and whether the have a motorcycle license. I realize that's probably not my responsibility but I won't sell it to someone if I think they are going to get hurt on it before they get out of my driveway.
So then it would be safe to assume you don't recommend the ZX-10R as a first bike?:headshake:

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Didn't see that thread before I read your post ^^^^^^^^^^. Too funny!

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
So then it would be safe to assume you don't recommend the ZX-10R as a first bike?:headshake:
Well, I wouldn't think that would be a "wise" decision personally. If said person has a lot of dirt bike experience (they already know how to ride a motorcycle) and that would be their first "street" bike and this person knew how to control "themselves" then it "could" be an option. But, if it's just plain their first motorcycle and have never ridden before then I would definitely recommend something else. "Maybe" a Ninja 250. :) I started riding motorcycles (minibikes) when I was 4 (almost 50 years now) so I am at a disadvantage of not knowing what it is like to learn how to ride a motorcycle as an adult. I also used to drive other vehicles with a clutch (most people never even do that today). That includes tractors, cars, trucks (3 on the floor or 3 on the tree) :), semis, etc. :)

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Well, I wouldn't think that would be a "wise" decision personally. If said person has a lot of dirt bike experience (they already know how to ride a motorcycle) and that would be their first "street" bike and this person knew how to control "themselves" then it "could" be an option. But, if it's just plain their first motorcycle and have never ridden before then I would definitely recommend something else. "Maybe" a Ninja 250. :) I started riding motorcycles (minibikes) when I was 4 (almost 50 years now) so I am at a disadvantage of not knowing what it is like to learn how to ride a motorcycle as an adult. I also used to drive other vehicles with a clutch (most people never even do that today). That includes tractors, cars, trucks (3 on the floor or 3 on the tree) :), semis, etc. :)
Yea me too, first minibike at 10 yrs old. Drove many tractors, pickups and so on from that age. Ninja 300 sounds like a good plan.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
One of our old tractors even had a hand clutch (John Deere 60) so it was just like riding a motorcyle. Okay, it was absolutely NOTHING like riding a motorcycle. :)

·
The Pace
7,009 Posts
MSF used to say not even necessary to know how to ride a bicycle! They changed that claim awhile back.

One thing for certain: take FOREVER to learn how to ride. I mean forever.

·
Kawasaki Whisperer
1,687 Posts
One of our old tractors even had a hand clutch (John Deere 60) so it was just like riding a motorcyle. Okay, it was absolutely NOTHING like riding a motorcycle. :)
First tractor I ever drove was a JD 730 diesel with a hand clutch. My most favorite tractor ever.

·
Kawasaki Whisperer
1,687 Posts
When I taught my wife to ride it took her an hour just to figure out how to ease the clutch out and "walk" the bike from one end of the parking lot to the other. One hour learn to ride... Right.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I grew up riding dirt bikes from the age of 9 had a lot of different dirt bikes. Owened a few street bikes im 35 now. Still dont know how to ride. Just sayin

·
The Pace
7,009 Posts
I grew up riding dirt bikes from the age of 9 had a lot of different dirt bikes. Owened a few street bikes im 35 now. Still dont know how to ride. Just sayin
Why I have to ride A LOT, but even riding a ton I can tell some days are slightly off while others I'm right on as so many conditions change both internal (rider) and external (weather and cager or bicycle conditions. We have quite a few world class distance bicyclists here. np, but have to change lines in certain twists).

However, riding everyday does equate to even a poor ride situation NOT that bad as with 200 mile loop usually some section is great.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Why I have to ride A LOT, but even riding a ton I can tell some days are slightly off while others I'm right on as so many conditions change both internal (rider) and external (weather and cager or bicycle conditions. We have quite a few world class distance bicyclists here. np, but have to change lines in certain twists).

However, riding everyday does equate to even a poor ride situation NOT that bad as with 200 mile loop usually some section is great.
Hordes of road cyclists where I ride, certain times of the week. I have greatly adjusted the way I ride on certain sections of road.

I had some guy ranting to me about how he hated the freeway and would never ride on it the other day. I was just looking at him thinking how the hell do you ever get anywhere? After doing my 250-mile loop I look forward to the 60 miles of freeway to unwind on the way home. I use the first 60 miles to get to the good roads to just wake up and get used to the bike.

It's all just part of it.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Learn how to operate yes, how to ride no.

Most of the people I see "riding" are barely operating.
Dricked is correct in fact I will go one step further. As a 15yr old I only had one of my uncles girlfriend teach me how to ride stick on her car only a few times, never did dirt bikes or anything else with a clutch.

Got my first bike at 17yrs old no one to teach me what so ever but got on the bike and took off no problem I knew a bike was the opposite of what the foot does in a car the hand does on a bike and vise versa.

So the first time I got to speed I didn't know anything about counter-steering almost messed up but eventually learned but that could have been fatal. :badteeth:

I think my progression in life was a good one as far as bikes:

125cc Street Yami
400Kz Kawi
700cc Honda Interceptor
750cc Honda Interceptor
900cc Ninja
1000cc Ninja

:dontknow::mrgreen:

Bloo

Reactions: White Fang

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
look forward to the 60 miles of freeway to unwind on the way home. I use the first 60 miles to get to the good roads to just wake up and get used to the bike.

It's all just part of it.
Can you update your profile please like where you ride?.....I will tell you at times if you are in a really BIG CITY it's not the time to "UNWIND" sometimes you better be on your game there are fast cars out there, idiot drivers, Big Rig Trucks etc.....just saying from experience that has riden from England/downtown London to Guam in the last 25yrs..not complaining it is fun too depending on conditions. :wink:

Bloo

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Can you update your profile please like where you ride?.....I will tell you at times if you are in a really BIG CITY it's not the time to "UNWIND" sometimes you better be on your game there are fast cars out there, idiot drivers, Big Rig Trucks etc.....just saying from experience that has riden from England/downtown London to Guam in the last 25yrs..not complaining it is fun too depending on conditions. :wink:

Bloo
I appreciate that, Blue, it's a pretty big city all right. I have lived there for 23 years, right in the heart of it.

What happens is that you develop an entirely different kind of skill set for urban freeways, a "sixth sense" if you will. It took me a long time to get there. A motorcycle has to "flow" but not be asinine about it. I also never ride if I am even the slightest bit out of it, for any reason, and I get my vision checked at least yearly. So far the peripheral vision is still excellent, which is key, but also the response to anything in the periphery is critical. When the road does open up, with plenty of room around, you can relax a little, but when you get into the thick of things, say, with 6-8 lanes and multiple freeways converging, along with exits and entrances, and the speeds are still ~70 mph average, it gets real interesting. I make ALL my lane changes very smoothly and wear at least one item of conspicuous color, say, either a yellow helmet with black riding gear, or if my helmet is black, a bright red or yellow color on the jacket. I also have a few safety yellow vests. That makes a difference.

Gotta keep an eye on the mirrors, too, and watch the behavior of the drivers around you. Most drivers, 95% or more, are actually pretty good and predictable. It's that one jerk you watch for. Certain kinds of vehicles are a good hint, for example, late model European or Lexus sports sedans are favorites of people with something to prove (I can always ID these guys by the "sinister" LED running lights as they close in from behind). Range Rovers are a problem sometimes too, or delivery vehicles. But all in all most drivers actually want to get where they are going and aren't looking for trouble.

As far as relaxing, that's all relative, I feel like a rat in an open field with a flight of hawks above whenever I ride on the freeway, always looking for the hole to dive into. Blind spots, those can be the worst hazard.

But on the windy mountain roads, even when there is practically zero traffic, it's a different level of concentration. Say I do the 250-mile loop, there is going to be 120 miles of freeway, 30 miles of two-lane scenic blacktop mostly straight, and a good 100 miles of wide-open twisties. These are so far from civilization that even on the weekend I might only see 30-40 vehicles on the whole run. During the week, it could be as few as 10 vehicles, over the whole 100 miles. No cell service. If I crack up, I'm done. They'd probably never find me. I know a guy who went off that road and was 18 hours with his bike on top of him before he was found. He was one of the lucky ones, most have to be carted out another way. So I have to keep that in mind but still want to have fun. That wears me out after 100 miles so by the time I get to the freeway, it's like taking a break.

I just like to ride and I don't complain, any time I am on the bike I am happy. I can't really say I dislike the freeway, it's part of how I have to get to the good roads.:mrgreen:

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
As far as relaxing, that's all relative, I feel like a rat in an open field with a flight of hawks above whenever I ride on the freeway, always looking for the hole to dive into. Blind spots, those can be the worst hazard.

I like that analogy :thumbsup: I have my own but basically it's everyone is out to get me and also the not so concrete ones too like that pot hole, loose gravel, the big rig tire that disintegrated you can't see etc. :eek:ccasion1

Bloo

Reactions: White Fang

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I can teach people to kill other people in 1 hour. $100 for the full hour. Any takers?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts