Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006ZX10R. BMC air filter and now A and R race baffle kit. The map reccommended by A and R is extermely lean compared to stock map. What gives? With the Baffle installed would this not allow more air? Shouldn't the map be at least a little bit more on the positive side? I guess I am going to have to go to a Dyno center. I just wanted this mod to change the sound, I am happy with the current power, but I do not want to run to lean of a map and cause damage to engine. I might try to disconnect the Power Commander if all else fails and I decide I don't want to spend the money on a map. Anywho, any help or advice would be appreciated. Peace :cool:

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
dude your fine with the stock map. What map did a&r recomend you use?

·
Registered
798 Posts
most bikes come lean where they do emmisions testing then pig rich everywhere eles

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Try it out and see how it runs. I had a&r baffles with cats gutted and a tune and made 160. I made 155 without the tune and stock map. Id offer to let you try my old map but it was tuned at a/f 13.2 which might not be to your likings. They usually give maps that are on the richer side just to be safe. You just have to listen for knock and detonation.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
On custom map I have some cell up to -40 to the lean. I run 91 pump and make good power without detonation. BODYGLOVE is right the tens come rich out the box.

·
Registered
321 Posts
lean maps = low power and airbox groan

the bikes are running rich stock for a reason, once the bike is moving above 80mph its needing more fuel than stationary vehicle on the dyno, i went into dyno to have full load inertia setup custom map i came out with more power on the dyno but rode it after and it was crap, lost its response lost the top end it had and i was getting pauses on throttle openings from high speed it was a pig to ride i have since then added various amounts of fuel to cure it.
you can tell when the maps too lean you hear a groan from the airbox and hardly hear the pipes.
add fuel to where you hear the groan and your feel more power and hear the exhaust tone bark louder at you.
i have tried these richer maps against a k5 gsxr thou against the custom dyno maps.
The richer ones are far superior.
The correct way to map is via lamba sensor with datalogger in real time action .

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
the bikes are running rich stock for a reason, once the bike is moving above 80mph its needing more fuel than stationary vehicle on the dyno, i went into dyno to have full load inertia setup custom map i came out with more power on the dyno but rode it after and it was crap, lost its response lost the top end it had and i was getting pauses on throttle openings from high speed it was a pig to ride i have since then added various amounts of fuel to cure it.
you can tell when the maps too lean you hear a groan from the airbox and hardly hear the pipes.
add fuel to where you hear the groan and your feel more power and hear the exhaust tone bark louder at you.
i have tried these richer maps against a k5 gsxr thou against the custom dyno maps.
The richer ones are far superior.
The correct way to map is via lamba sensor with datalogger in real time action .
Well you are partially correct. My map leans out the mixture in the lower to mid RPM's and richens up in the upper. You do require more fuel at upper RPM's but thats to compensate for the engine working harder and more air flow. Lean does not equal less power. As far as groan from the airbox? Can you explain how that is associated with a lean condition? Also so you're telling me to add fuel where my bike groans for increased power and a louder exhaust bark? What kind of tuning is that man? With a data logger it will tell you where your A\F Ratio is at but stoich isn't always what's best for your bike or what gives you the most power yield. The whole RAM air effect helps but not to the signifigance people make it out to be. As soon as the valve opens atmospheric pressure fully fills the cylinder that's just physic, but why we do V-stacks and different angles in the head and length runners and so forth is to change velocity to which it fills and exits. That helps the engine breathe more efficiently therefore, in theory, making more power. The key to making power is how efficient the motor operates. The less resistance a motor has the more power it will make. The more responsive it will be.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts