Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive got a small oil leak at my drain bolt. having trouble sourcing a decent oil pan and ive replaced the bolt and still have a leak. Ive use liquid gasket sealer around the bolt in the past with mixed results.

anybody have any ideas for a permanent fix?

·
Registered
42 Posts
My old 03 636 had that happen when I accidentally overtightened and screwed up the threads.. I was able to use one of those drain bolts that cuts into the threading and was slightly bigger but it only lasted about 2 oil changes before I had to replace the pan

·
Registered
634 Posts
Threads are ok?

You can torque to spec ok?

Perhaps the pan it self is cracked from over tightening?

If cracked only pan replacement will fix.

If threads are messed up, fix threads with Heli-coil or Time-Sert.

·
Registered
2016 Kawasaki ZX-10R KRT ABS Edition
682 Posts
Yeah there very well could be a crack in the pan from the prev. owner or even from you over-tightening the drain bolt at one point. I would make sure you're torquing to spec first of all and if that doesn't work you could even try putting like Teflon Tape on the threads... that would probably help if the crack (granted you have one) is a hairline.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Ditto above. 1. Take off pan. 2. Deliver to a shop. 3. Shop puts a heli-coil in.

·
Registered
460 Posts
You can also smear RTV high temp silicone around crush washer for better seal at drain hole. If threads are bad you will be able to feel it when applying torque. Heli-coil will fix that as others said. Be sure your straight when you drill! Good luck!

·
Registered
684 Posts
Heli-coil doesn't do shit if the pan is cracked...
Yes, to clarify, the shop would be a pretty bad one if they went ahead with a heli-coil if the pan is cracked. Moreover, the OP wouldn't bother taking it to a shop after finding a crack in the pan after removal. I'm sure we'd all agree that the most likely cause of the leak is partly stripped threading.

Apologies to the OP for my abbreviated reply but it demonstrates my ignorance since the cracked pans I've seen were from lowered cars bottoming out. I can't recall seeing a cracked pan from over tightening and stripped threads were the result. I worked for a drive through oil change place in Uni so I saw more than a few leaking drain plugs during that time.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
For the record I have seen motorcycle oil pans cracked dozens of times from over-tightening the drain bolt. Cast AL pan gives up and cracks at the bolt hole instead of stripping the threads. If you keep turning the bolt and you get a quick thud just as it starts to get tight then goes loose again, it's usually a cracked pan.

·
Registered
684 Posts
For the record I have seen motorcycle oil pans cracked dozens of times from over-tightening the drain bolt. Cast AL pan gives up and cracks at the bolt hole instead of stripping the threads. If you keep turning the bolt and you get a quick thud just as it starts to get tight then goes loose again, it's usually a cracked pan.
Ahh, very good to know! I wonder if it's because motorcycle engineers are chasing lightweight over durability and the pans are cast thinner? If it's the case it definitely warrants more caution doing oil changes on bikes vs. cars.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Ahh, very good to know! I wonder if it's because motorcycle engineers are chasing lightweight over durability and the pans are cast thinner? If it's the case it definitely warrants more caution doing oil changes on bikes vs. cars.

It's because everybody thinks they are mechanic even though they wrench like a gorilla.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts