Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey - any of you guys in cold climates have the countershaft seal leak a little at sub-freezing temperatures? I have been out of town for a while and when I got home it was just after our first below 32 night. I noticed oil on the garage floor under the chain (definitely oil, not lube) so I am assuming the cold weather caused the seal to be less than perfect. Can anyone confirm? And is there anything I can do to help the situation?

·
Registered
382 Posts
lavudyar said:
Hey - any of you guys in cold climates have the countershaft seal leak a little at sub-freezing temperatures? I have been out of town for a while and when I got home it was just after our first below 32 night. I noticed oil on the garage floor under the chain (definitely oil, not lube) so I am assuming the cold weather caused the seal to be less than perfect. Can anyone confirm? And is there anything I can do to help the situation?
I doubt that temperature caused that... over tightened chain can sometimes be the cause of seal failure.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My chain is loose if anything - any other thoughts? It is truly perplexing to me.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Yea i doubt its the cold temps so my only thought is the seal has failed and requires replacement. If its under warranty i would consider that.

BD

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I should have explained better - the bike has been sitting for at least 8 weeks (I know, but I've been working out of state for that long and now winter's here). You guys don't think it's possible for the shaft to contract faster than the seal?

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
the metal will certainly contract more than the rubber so just maybe, but then what happend last winter??

BD

·
Registered
382 Posts
If your chain is loose and you didn't damage the seal when removing the front sprocket the seal either failed or dryed out... seals have a spring in the i.d. that keeps the rubber on the metal and this spring sometimes breaks (rare)... also, seals are actually wedged in giving them a cushion of rubber on the o.d. to make up any small differences due to expansion/contraction and imperfections otherwise they would just fall out... the only explanation could be that you changed to synthetic oil... did you?.

Just had another thought, did you pressure wash the bike before you left it, could be that water penetrated the seal and froze causing it to rip.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I moved from CA to OH this April and didn't get the bike until May. No synthetic oil. Changed the front sprocket a few months ago and the problem just now showed up. I'm going away this week as well and it's supposed to be fairly cold here, so I guess I'll see if the problem continues. Thanks for the thoughts and I'll keep you all posted.

·
Registered
382 Posts
lavudyar said:
Changed the front sprocket a few months ago and the problem just now showed up.
BINGO!!... more likely than not that's what caused the eventual failure..

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ninja9rc said:
BINGO!!... more likely than not that's what caused the eventual failure..

I hope not - I'm sure that's not gonna be under warranty!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Well even if it has another cause they'll more than likely deny warranty because the sprocket is not stock..

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay - I'm back from DC and the bike seems fine. No other leaking at all. I'm beginning to wonder if that was really oil or maybe chain lube residue? It felt and smelled like regular old oil - I dunno.

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
mine does that. It's chain lube. it run down to the shift lever and anything else. it gets hot hear in the summer time and thats when it showed up. i need to take the cover off and clean it.

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
KaTooM said:
I would put the old sprocket back on then take it in.
:+1:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts