Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone else has had a problem sealing a clutch cover gasket. I reassembled my 2004 ZX-10R engine carefully, but was disappointed to see a small puddle of oil under the car a night after adding oil and running the engine. I've had the cover off twice since, both times being careful with the process, but it still leaks.

It's leaking from about the "6:30" position (bottom, slightly rearward).

My first two times I used a gasket and Hylomar (supposed to be a high quality, RTV-like sealant). The last time I tried some really tacky spray gasket sealant.

I've tried two different clutch covers. The block surface looks and feels okay (no obvious gouges or nicks).

Before I took it apart tonight, I think I could move the paper gasket with my fingernail. That's probably a big clue, but I'm not sure why the cover would not clamp down evenly.

Thanks for any suggestions.

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
i had but like you, i used RTV and it never came back. :dontknow:

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Maybe I'll pick up some good new RTV tomorrow, clean it up with brake cleaner and give it a fifth try. :).

Forgot to mention that I'm trying Amsoil for the first time. Maybe that's contributing (although I would hope not).

·
Registered
582 Posts
Yo must clean the surface very well and remove any gasket. Then try with the sealant. It has to work.

Also check the torque you are giving to the cover , it has to be the specifiead, if you give the bolts more than specified, it will probably deform the surface or the gasket and starts to leak.

good luck ! :wink:

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks.

Yep, I've been cleaning the surfaces to squeaky clean metal. I have not used a torque wrench thus far.

I'm going to try a trick I heard a few years ago. After cleaning the surfaces, add a small bead to both metal surfaces (or paper gasket, whichever is easiest to get to), then let it sit for 15-20 minutes before mating the parts together. After assembling the parts, tighten the bolts pretty loosely, then, over a period of a few hours, slowly tighten the bolts. Maybe not do the final torque sequence until 12 hours have passed.

I'm also going to wait a day before adding oil.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Thanks.

Yep, I've been cleaning the surfaces to squeaky clean metal. I have not used a torque wrench thus far.

I'm going to try a trick I heard a few years ago. After cleaning the surfaces, add a small bead to both metal surfaces (or paper gasket, whichever is easiest to get to), then let it sit for 15-20 minutes before mating the parts together. After assembling the parts, tighten the bolts pretty loosely, then, over a period of a few hours, slowly tighten the bolts. Maybe not do the final torque sequence until 12 hours have passed.
Yeah, I think you are on your way to get done it. The tightening of the bolts is critical, not to damage the new gasket. :thefinger

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
Go to the autoparts store and buy some sealer called "the right stuff"
it will actually spread onto oily surfaces if needs be.

Apply one thin coat to both surfaces and let it dry for an hour, then crank them together.

It is fuel proof too and works on carbs.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Go to the autoparts store and buy some sealer called "the right stuff"
it will actually spread onto oily surfaces if needs be.

Apply one thin coat to both surfaces and let it dry for an hour, then crank them together.

It is fuel proof too and works on carbs.

Thanks. I am going to try that. I have been having the same exact leaking problem on my 04.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
could be a burr on one of the locating dowels thats not allowing it to go together all the way. Also seat it with a rubber mallet when installing it. if it gets cocked slightly on the dowels it will not sit flush with the gasket. I reuse my gaskets 5-6 times and I dont use anything like rtv on them. :thumbsup: The 6:30 position is where there is a place for oil to puddle to the outside of the drainback for the pan(its in the case casting) so that is the most likely spot for it to leak if its not sitting flush.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I too had that leak but it was from the cover, it somehow had gotten tweaked for lack of a better word and I had to replace it. Funny thing is I can't recall a time that it was dropped or handled rough in any way. I was able to seal it with RTV, but fixed it right before selling it.

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
I don't think youre a rookie mechanic but aside from the mallet, are you evenly staggering you torque/tightening pattern to allow for even surface mating?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts