Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My superbike lines leaked where there is a hole in the nut. If you have them you will see a hole on the nut that threads onto the other adapter that threads directly into the caliper. I called Galfer and they instructed me to use teflon tape around the threads...this DID fix the problem, but I advise most of you to just order regular lines and save the coin ($20). If you decide to buy them anyways then use the teflon tape off the top so you dont have to make another mess with brake fluid.

FYI: Galfer regular lines are 2.8mm inside diameter. Right on the superbike lines it says 3.2mm inside diameter. Any gain in feel by not using a second banjo is negated by the use of a larger inside diameter....SAVE YOUR MONEY!
I know the superbike lines do look SOOOOO MUCH BETTER.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
FWIW, I've had these lines on 2 bikes now, with no leakage or loosening at all. Not saying this is your situation, but whenever I've seen leakage at the fitting on these lines (or similar setups) it is due to over-tightening the fitting to begin with. This can deform the sealing area and cause problems. Never had to use teflon tape on these, but glad to hear it fixed your problem.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To be honest, I had no way to check the tightness of the last bolt because my torque wrench wont go on like that...how did you do its torque? I just used an open ended socket and had tightened it and added a little bit extra. I did not push it down really tight, but 6.5 ft lbs....Please if you know another method for me to use to make sure they are at an accurate torque setting let me know...I hate 1/2 assing it

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
BNninja said:
Please if you know another method for me to use to make sure they are at an accurate torque setting let me know...I hate 1/2 assing it
Carefully calibrated hands from 30+ years of wrenching on bikes & cars. :lol:

Seriously, I know what you mean. If you really want to be able to torque stuff like that with a wrench, you can get some crowsfoot wrench ends in either open or tubing style that will allow you to use them with a torque wrench. Although, I've read that the torque readings will be slightly off from the offset, it should be close enough.

I've seen this problem before and it seems to me that it happens more because it isn't easy to use a torque wrench, so many people tend to overtorque, fearing that they aren't tight enough. 6.5 lb-ft feels like a lot less than many would imagine, especially with a longer wrench.

W/O using a torque wrench, I snuck-up on the fittings by just tightening very easy and continuing a little at a time until they quit leaking when I squeezed the brake lever. Once they quit leaking, I gave it just another little tweak and let it be. Although I still check them b4 every ride.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rock on....I just snugged them down hand tight and gave 3/8 of a turn...felt like 6.5 to me...lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts