Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a brand new Ohlins 46PRXLS on my 10 today. It took about 1 hr (taking my time) and went for a quick ride to make sure everything is ok. The bike felt good although I still need to set the sag.

When I got back I looked over the rear to make sure all was ok and this is when I noticed that there was fluid on the shaft! It wasn't a "thin film" type but a pretty thick type of fluid. I'm not sure if this is some kind of lube for the seals that will eventually go away or not. The other thing is that I can actually grab the top of the shock and if I give it a hard shake the shock will slightly move side to side on the bushing.

Is any of this normal? I hope someone who has had a few of these can chime in and shed some light. I'll be royally pissed if the shock is defective:headshake

·
Registered
359 Posts
i used to have an ohlins on my old 954 the slight movement side to side is normal. i was adjusting the spring on my buddys 1198s and his rear ohlins had a very slight side to side motion also.. go for a long ride and get some heat in the rear shock and then let it sit for awhile look for an oil puddle under your bike when your done that will tell all :helmet:

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read on another board that when the shocks are brand new and assembled that a certain type of grease is on the seals to keep them moist and need to be pushed out on the first few rides. Not sure if there is any truth to this since it's my first new Ohlins shock. Thanks for the input, puts my mind at ease about one thing.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Yes there was another post on this forum about a brand new Ohlins shocks coming covered in grease. I wouldn't worry about it. Clean it up with some WD40, and keep an eye on it. If it was going to leak, it'll come from the upper head seal, and dribble down the shaft. I've had a number of Ohlins shocks, and they shouldn't leak on a continuous basis, so just keep tabs on it for the next few rides if you're worried.

However, you probably would notice something feels funky with the suspension. If the bike feels bouncy and underdamped (with comp/reb settings dialed in), then it probably means you have a problem.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is coming from the bottom seal. The stuff on the shaft is being pushed from the seal and it has the consistency of something like hair gel from a tube(maybe a bit more watery). It's thick enough that it won't run down the shaft and I'm assuming the shock oil they use is much thinner than that:dontknow: I'm waiting for my front stand to come in so I can check the wheel bearing spacer gap then going to dial it in from there.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
:eek:ccasion1 Took it out for a ride today and the shock is bone dry. I guess it is some sort of lube to keep the seals moist when the shock is assembled.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts