Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
found a couple of oil spots under the front of the bike. Looked at the fairing oil ,brake caliper oil, bottom of fork leg oil, only have about 800 miles on 06 10r I'm not a stunter nor do I wheelie. Bummer oh well its under warranty Funny thing the front suspension has not felt great and My brakes felt weak after a short ride Here are some pics

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
There was some members had fork seal leaks issues I have no problem with mine 5,500 miles. Take it to the dealer it's covered under warranty. 06 brakes are spongy, I replaced the master cyclinder with Brembo and SS lines it's solid no more spongy feel on the brakes.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Fork seals aren't typically covered (wear item). Given the low miles I'd cry to the dealer.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Funny thing is when I had My ZRX 1200r with 28,000 miles I always cleaned the fork tubes and inspected them before and after every ride.If they don't cover under warranty I'll just have to have them race teched early :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I was going to mention it :badteeth: might as well revalve and new spring for your weight, let the mods begin to your money pit :lol:. I might do it too during winter season.

·
Registered
798 Posts
they will replace it under warrenty the dealer gave me more shit then kawi did

there are nearly 20 people on here that have had the right fork seal go

mine went at 600 miles i was bitching at kawi casue i had to wait like 3 weeks for a damn seal and the guy agrees with me that it seems like there is a proplem since it only seems to be one seal and usally the right one that goes bad

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
Fork seals aren't typically covered (wear item). Given the low miles I'd cry to the dealer.
I would think they would cover it though especially with that low mileage. Had the same happen with my 04 and they covered it no problem and I had 2000 miles on the bike.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Wonderfull, mine is just over the 12 month warrenty and the right fork seal is leaking, its not bad yet but I bet it gets bad soon. I just have small amounts of oil showing up on the fork right now. Sounds like there should be a right fork seal recall to me dammit!!:bs:

·
Registered
495 Posts
Wonderfull, mine is just over the 12 month warrenty and the right fork seal is leaking, its not bad yet but I bet it gets bad soon. I just have small amounts of oil showing up on the fork right now. Sounds like there should be a right fork seal recall to me dammit!!:bs:
If I wanted to write an email or letter to Kawa about this, where would I send it? Does anyone have an email add that I could use? Sometimes just writting a letter can make something happen, you never know.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My brothers 06 had the same problem (right fork seal leaking). His was out of warranty so we did it our self this weekend. It really is not hard, a little time consuming. We used the Leak Proof Pro Molly, seems to work good now but time will tell. He was afraid to use OEM because he did not want a leak in another 4000 miles. The Leak Proof seals have a totally different design then OEM. The funny thing about the OEM seals, is that they are the same seals used on any bike that has 43mm KYB forks (inverted or standard), the part number matches up to almost 30 different bikes. My ZRX has the same seals but I have not heard any problems with this seal. I wonder if the outer tube is machined wrong or out of tolerance, and oil is leaking around the seal outside edge? I did not think to throw the calipers on both sides to see if they were different.

·
Registered
495 Posts
My brothers 06 had the same problem (right fork seal leaking). His was out of warranty so we did it our self this weekend. It really is not hard, a little time consuming. We used the Leak Proof Pro Molly, seems to work good now but time will tell. He was afraid to use OEM because he did not want a leak in another 4000 miles. The Leak Proof seals have a totally different design then OEM. The funny thing about the OEM seals, is that they are the same seals used on any bike that has 43mm KYB forks (inverted or standard), the part number matches up to almost 30 different bikes. My ZRX has the same seals but I have not heard any problems with this seal. I wonder if the outer tube is machined wrong or out of tolerance, and oil is leaking around the seal outside edge? I did not think to throw the calipers on both sides to see if they were different.
Huh, interesting info. Do you think you could post a "how To"? It may help me out if I need to replace this thing, and maybe a link to where those seals are availible? Thanks. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
193 Posts
My right fork seal went at about 18k. Had the 3 year warrenty and the dealer wouldn't honor it as, like I said, "was a wear item".
True, I wheelie almost every day, which makes 18k pretty good IMO.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I can give some info later this evening, a sort of how too (clear up the service manual) and how to make your own spring compressor.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I can give some info later this evening, a sort of how too (clear up the service manual) and how to make your own spring compressor.
That would be great, I will look it up in the repair manual tonight so I know what your talking about. If mine is just showing a film of oil, do you think its going to get real bad soon, or may I have some time before it full out leaks on me? I have a trip coming up where I am going to do 170 miles in one day and I am hopeing it holds because I leave thursday....:sad:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts