Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had a buddy tell me my forks are leaking (05 6800miles) i asumed he said this b/c of oily film on black part of forks, but i looked at a brand new bike the other day and it had comparable amount of residue on its fork tubes, so my question is how am i to be sure they are leaking?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
You'll know within 30mins of riding. If they're leaking oil will be everywhere...breaks, rim, tire...be careful & don't go leaning into turns @ 100mph until u know for sure they aren't leaking.

·
Retired post whore
8,463 Posts
A light oily film is normal. You'll now when they are leaking when the oil is running down the fork leg and dripping off on to the rim like my 04's did when they went. :lol:

·
Registered
333 Posts
If you can wipe the fork stanchions (part that slides into the main fork tube) with your finger and it turns up wet and/or shiny on your finger, I'd say they were leaking. It's just to what extent you're gonna be concerned with next. Sometimes, if there are not that bad (ie: dripping onto the floor or rim), I've found that working a business card an inch or so up into the fork past the seal and going around the fork while pulling the card back out slowly will tend to "revive" the seals somewhat. Tends to get the dirt and crud out from the seal lip that the dust covers let pass.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Morning, if it turns out you do need to replace your fork seals, at my shop we have been using All balls dirt bike seals, they work great, started using them because my zx12r would eat fork seals for lunch, almost every time I would have to drop it down from a wheelie quick and hard, for many reasons but usually a cop, that heavy thing would pop seals, tryed all sorts of different brands including stock and the only thing that stays sealed are the All balls seals, we have been putting them on every set of forks we do know, they only list them in the dirt bike catologs but when you get the pack it says on the back all of the street bikes they fit also, all you have to do is match up seal sizes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts