Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike is very loud to me, will a leak down test let me know if i have a cracked retainer?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Probably not.

My bike did not sound any different when it had 7 broken retainers than it did after i replaced them with kibblewhite titanium retainers except the ticking noise went away

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Probably not.

My bike did not sound any different when it had 7 broken retainers than it did after i replaced them with kibblewhite titanium retainers except the ticking noise went away
Thanks man im not having any power lost but i can hear a ticking noise new motor about 200 miles on it. did you do springs or just retainers?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I did springs and retainers on mine.

The ticking you are hearing could be the cam chain tensioner. Try putting the bike in 5th gear and rolling it backwards a few feet and see if the ticking goes away.

I doubt you have any broken retainers if you only have 200 miles on the motor.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Thanks man im not having any power lost but i can hear a ticking noise new motor about 200 miles on it. did you do springs or just retainers?

your sure it's not the Cam Chain Tension er?....it causes Mad ticking noises as well if out of wack.

bloo

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
let me re-state my motor about 200mile on the new pistons and tranny. thanks guys for your help.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Do you by chance know if the retainers were good before you did the pistons and tranny?

The only real way to check them is to pull the head off and inspect them unfortunately. My bike showed no signs that there was anything wrong, although i had 7 valves that were close to dropping.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you by chance know if the retainers were good before you did the pistons and tranny?

The only real way to check them is to pull the head off and inspect them unfortunately. My bike showed no signs that there was anything wrong, although i had 7 valves that were close to dropping.
all retainers was fine before the work.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I would be willing to bed that you are fine.

Is it possible you are just being paranoid because you had major work done? I know I would be :)

Did you set valve clearances before doing the work?

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would be willing to bed that you are fine.

Is it possible you are just being paranoid because you had major work done? I know I would be :)

Did you set valve clearances before doing the work?
you might be right:badteeth:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts